Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

11 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Metro west 495 belt is the new 128 belt.  Some communities are already at levels of the 128 belt but give it another 10-20 years and they’ll be there.  We have new homes we’re designing that will be starting at $800k and up in the next year or so.

You have to let me know what areas you work in.... If you know any developers from you on north to 128 I'll be looking for a starter home in the next year or so. 

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Our little 3 bedroom in Holliston built in 1966 has gone up like 100k+ in 4 years since we bought it. We bought it for 345k and most appraisals would put it at 450 now. It’s insane. 

All the new construction single family homes around here are going for 700+ and most of them over 800. 

Neponset/Dorchester was 300k for a triple decker give years ago. Now it's 850k for a triple decker (not reno) 

12 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Agree. Inside 128 is soon to be untouchable for the average Joe. Woburn was one of the last “affordable” cities. Now, a full gut job 3 BR Cape style home exceeds $500k. Updated homes $700k+. 

By 2030, any move in ready home within 128 will require $1M+ just to enter the market. 

I expect prices to stall out a bit. As much as I said continued boom, there will be a ceiling on prices. We're starting to get into territory within 128 where it simply can't go any higher. 

Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

You have to let me know what areas you work in.... If you know any developers from you on north to 128 I'll be looking for a starter home in the next year or so. 

We have one developer who is working on getting a development going in Bellingham.  Think its still a year plus out as it's going through the approval stages.  We have another developer who's got a development going in Ayer,  They've already taken a bunch of reservations.  Not too many developments going on inside the 495 belt that I would consider starter homes.  Most of our new construction homes are north of $600k now.

11 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

There’s been a large increase in sales outside of Boston.  People are moving out of the city to escape the congestion.  Metro Boston does have issues with affordable housing but we are better equipped to deal with the issue compared to other places.  Apartments are becoming a huge boon along the 495 belt.  Feel good knowing you live in a market that is less susceptible to market downturns.  We have a broad spectrum of industries that can weather a lot of downward market trends.  We have a great hub of education, sciences, and finances that feed a broad spectrum of fields.  No better place to live in the US IMO. 

Definitely sales outside of Boston. I think that's a great boom for the health of the area. Kids my age don't really see the point in paying city prices. Apartments along 495 are the type of structures I worry about if we over build closer to the city. Many more transit oriented developments in Boston proper going up. I'd feel better about investing 495 belt if it's a single family or two family. 200 unit apartment buildings are going to be easy to come by at end of the line MBTA stops outside of the city in a few years. 

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

We have one developer who is working on getting a development going in Bellingham.  Think its still a year plus out as it's going through the approval stages.  We have another developer who's got a development going in Ayer,  They've already taken a bunch of reservations.  Not too many developments going on inside the 495 belt that I would consider starter homes.  Most of our new construction homes are north of $600k now.

I'll be in this 400-600k range I think, all math considered. I doubt we'll be looking at new construction now that I think about it. Probably a place in very good shape, not great. Can live in and work on a bit for 2-5 years. Fit 1 to 2 kids before upgrading. Dedham, Norwood, Braintree, Milton, Westwood, Canton, Walpole, Sharon, etc. Second home probably further away. If it's on the southern side of things, Mansfield, Easton, Foxboro, Bridgewater. If it's on the western side I like Natick, Southborough, Westborough, etc.. Not going to name all directions but you get the general distance and idea. Would love to look at some of your portfolio and work if you would direct message me? 

Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

I'll be in this 400-600k range I think, all math considered. I doubt we'll be looking at new construction now that I think about it. Probably a place in very good shape, not great. Can live in and work on a bit for 2-5 years. Fit 1 to 2 kids before upgrading. Dedham, Norwood, Braintree, Milton, Westwood, Canton, Walpole, Sharon, etc. Second home probably further away. If it's on the southern side of things, Mansfield, Easton, Foxboro, Bridgewater. If it's on the western side I like Natick, Southborough, Westborough, etc.. Not going to name all directions but you get the general distance and idea. Would love to look at some of your portfolio and work if you would direct message me? 

You're going to have to start looking so you have an idea how much homes cost now.  Zillow is great for house searing as you can circle a geographical area you want to search for homes in.  All those towns along 128, you are looking at 600k+ for just about everything available or it'll need a ton of work.  My guess is the 495 belt will be in your price range  but the Westboro and Southboro areas are expensive due to Dell/EMC and other corporations having headquarters in the area.  Area south of  that where Will is are still relatively affordable too if you want some snow or you can look down my way in the Bridgewater area.

4 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

You're going to have to start looking so you have an idea how much homes cost now.  Zillow is great for house searing as you can circle a geographical area you want to search for homes in.  All those towns along 128, you are looking at 600k+ for just about everything available or it'll need a ton of work.  My guess is the 495 belt will be in your price range  but the Westboro and Southboro areas are expensive due to Dell/EMC and other corporations having headquarters in the area.  Area south of  that where Will is are still relatively affordable too if you want some snow or you can look down my way in the Bridgewater area.

Yeah.....Ashland is not a bad spot....one town over from me and a bit more affordable than Holliston....though Holliston is more affordable than Southborough/Hopkinton/Westborough. Medway to my south isn't terrible....'nor is Millis. Both relatively affordable.

If you don't mind the larger town feel, Milford/Framingham are both way more affordable, but schools aren't as good (if Jay is planning a family).

1 hour ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Bridgewater, Raynham, west Bridgewater area isn’t bad at all.

Just now, NorEastermass128 said:

What’s funny is that a lot of my friends from north of Boston don’t even consider SE MA. Friends south of Boston never consider NE MA. South Shore vs. North Shore. Battle lines drawn. 

Lol.... I would never move to the north shore... I guess it’s a preference thing, and I grew up here as well.

there are a lot of nice places to live down here, that aren’t as congested.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Lol.... I would never move to the north shore... I guess it’s a preference thing, and I grew up here as well.

there are a lot of nice places to live down here, that aren’t as congested.

Same. I’d never consider buying on the other side of the Pike either...only I’m staying on the North Shore. 

2 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Neponset/Dorchester was 300k for a triple decker give years ago. Now it's 850k for a triple decker (not reno) 

Same in Worcester, three deckers were going for 100k in 08-10 and now they're 500K+, rents have doubled since then, I know a couple of smart guys that bought 10 and the other guy bought 12 for 100K and under, now they're living la vida loca. You could have bought 1 or 2 and doing well right now, I kick myself.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

If you enjoy winter rain, that area rocks 

grew up there , went to B-R

Great area though if you like golf. They stay open later and open earlier. Used to drive me nuts back when I played all the time....I'd be waiting for courses to open in ORH and they had been open for 3 or 4 weeks already down there. Prob why those schools tend to do better in tournament golf back when I played in high school. I played for St. John's Shrewsbury and we had a good team, but we always had trouble for those SE MA and Cape schools.

We always annihilated the northern schools. :lol:

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah.....Ashland is not a bad spot....one town over from me and a bit more affordable than Holliston....though Holliston is more affordable than Southborough/Hopkinton/Westborough. Medway to my south isn't terrible....'nor is Millis. Both relatively affordable.

If you don't mind the larger town feel, Milford/Framingham are both way more affordable, but schools aren't as good (if Jay is planning a family).

Which I am. My fiance is refusing private schools too. She wants public. Which is new to me as a Boston kid. I'm fine with free school. But if my kids are good athletes, I'd consider prep. But who knows at this stage. I'm getting married in 2022 and she doesn't want go be pregnant during the wedding. So probably first kid 2023.

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

What’s funny is that a lot of my friends from north of Boston don’t even consider SE MA. Friends south of Boston never consider NE MA. South Shore vs. North Shore. Battle lines drawn. 

For me it's family. I don't want to commute through the city to see my family. I went to HS in Cambridge though. So I do have friends on both sides of the demarcation line. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

For me it's family. I don't want to commute through the city to see my family. I went to HS in Cambridge though. So I do have friends on both sides of the demarcation line. 

It's really a dividing line of the charles river. Getting to say jp from Cambridge north is pretty much a disaster .  Roads are too clogged and have too many traffic lights. It's just another reason why people stay where they are.   It might change if the infrastructure changes or if we have a significant drop in population.

Sorry Steve but we've taken a hard stance on no more Covid discussion on the weather side.  No one can seem to play nice, so we just said enough.   I get that it's scientific based but we have set the bar at ground level for this.  You're welcome to post it OT or in the Science & Tech subforum.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/26-science-and-tech/

7 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Sorry Steve but we've taken a hard stance on no more Covid discussion on the weather side.  No one can seem to play nice, so we just said enough.   I get that it's scientific based but we have set the bar at ground level for this.  You're welcome to post it OT or in the Science & Tech subforum.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/forum/26-science-and-tech/

Lol sorry but no thanks

4 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

My family is from BOS. My dad's side is Italian and Portuguese. The Italians all went to the North Shore and turned places like Saugus into Rome with giant pillars on ranch style houses etc. :lol:   The Irish in the city all went to the south shore. At first it was Quincy that turned into Belfast with the rolling Blue Hills reminding them of the homeland compared to Dorchester Heights. Then Plymouth county became the Irish Riviera as they call it.  It's the truth, and probably why north and south shore have that distinction of rivals. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2