Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

30 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

People are paying cash for those and they disappear overnight 

Those townhomes are the market, they’re available. We’re in a ‘love or list it’ stage with ours so we’re working with a realtor...she mentions these often but I’m just not a townhome person. 

https://b1iw.app.link/IzkFll1Z9cb

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/117-Brentwood-Cir-38_Danbury_CT_06810_M92988-26521?cid=other_shares_core_ldp

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

But yes. Generally, houses are getting scouped up real fast in WCT. 

Most of Mass too, most are going above asking price. There's a crunch, people know they can sell their house quick but then they need to find another home to move too and there's competition up the ying yang, people are getting top dollar for their homes so they're willing to pay top dollar for the next one, very unusual market, it's not going to last, never does.

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Most of Mass too, most are going above asking price. There's a crunch, people know they can sell their house quick but then they need to find another home to move too and there's competition up the ying yang, people are getting top dollar for their homes so they're willing to pay top dollar for the next one, very unusual market, it's not going to last, never does.

Unless you are retired and move to a state that isn't under the crunch or tax social security. Sellers are out there who can cash out.

41 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I still have my grandfather’s hand made tip-ups and the stainless chisel he made working in the Quincy ship yard.  Also the sled boxes my dad built. 

The chisel my uncle gave me is also handmade, he made it when he worked at Pratt & Whitney. Ice usually insnt too thick here so I chop a hole  pretty quickly, one year it over two feet thick and took awhile to chop through that.

• Like 2

Yea. That’s the issue for us. We can get max value for ours but then have to go into a bidding war and overpay for something else. So we’ll most likely do a reno loan or home equity to upgrade this one. We love the location so we’ll put in 100-125k of work/upgrades and call it.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My wife freaked out when we started a fire on the ice while ice skating at night when I first met her. Took me a while to explain it was ok we were not going to melt 12 inches of ice,

Lol been doing it since a kid, some people were questioning it today too but it's perfectly safe. I grilled up some hot dogs on it today, cooking fire.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whineminster said:

Lol been doing it since a kid, some people were questioning it today too but it's perfectly safe. I grilled up some hot dogs on it today, cooking fire.

Sweet. Some people actually told me we were polluting the lake. Lol A lake surrounded by massive trees to boot. We start the fire with twigs nothing but wood.

42 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Even here from the PVD Boston flight but this is it for us. Kids will get it

Our problem had always been we bought at the worst possible time....October 2005.....shoot me I know......I had always said we’d own it forever and the kids would get it but hey maybe not.....timing will be critical to get out of it without feeling like the past 15 years weren’t rent....lol

45 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. That’s the issue for us. We can get max value for ours but then have to go into a bidding war and overpay for something else. So we’ll most likely do a reno loan or home equity to upgrade this one. We love the location so we’ll put in 100-125k of work/upgrades and call it.

Our house will probably never worth more, but the problem is, we’d easily be out is anywhere else by cash buyers etc etc. We could sell our home tomorrow, but where are we going to go?

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Our house will probably never worth more, but the problem is, we’d easily be out is anywhere else by cash buyers etc etc. We could sell our home tomorrow, but where are we going to go?

Dude real estate always eventually goes up. Especially a new home like yours in 20 years will be up 150% 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

I fish for fun, I only really eat ocean fish.  but ya they also taste like mud. 

I hear you.  The nice thing about ice fishing, besides hanging out outdoors and drinking with friends, is there are usually other parties out on the ice who will gladly take your catch if you don't want it.  Perch and trout can be tasty but that's about it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just came back from the movies.  Our local family owned theater rents out screens for cheap. It was just our immediate bubble.   They have increased the variety of food they sell too.  This is the third time we have gone but the first “new” film.  Back in the fall we watched a couple of older movies   This time we watched WW84 which wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.    And Gal Godot ftw

• Like 1

Talk to me about residential real estate.  It’s been apeshit between my 2 jobs the last 9-10mo.  Covid made our workload double. Brand new development we were working with developer on broke ground a year ago and did not put 1st foundation in till March.  They have reservations now on all 46 lots.  I have never seen projects sell this fast.  We are in the process ourselves of eliciting bids to have an addition put on.  Value proposition our existing home coupled with interest rakes make it the perfect time to do so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

Our problem had always been we bought at the worst possible time....October 2005.....shoot me I know......I had always said we’d own it forever and the kids would get it but hey maybe not.....timing will be critical to get out of it without feeling like the past 15 years weren’t rent....lol

Current values are above 2005 in most of New England, you should be good now plus you had 15 years to pay it down.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Just came back from the movies.  Our local family owned theater rents out screens for cheap. It was just our immediate bubble.   They have increased the variety of food they sell too.  This is the third time we have gone but the first “new” film.  Back in the fall we watched a couple of older movies   This time we watched WW84 which wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be.    And Gal Godot ftw

That is a seriously great idea. I’ll be stealing this one- thanks!

• Weenie 1

Current values are above 2005 in most of New England, you should be good now plus you had 15 years to pay it down.

I know but with how bad market tanked back then we’d barely profit 15 years later.....compared to what could have been - but you’re right....at least it’s on the plus side now.....I debate just holding on to it.....I pray for something like when my parents bought their first real estate in San Francisco Bay Area early 70’s.....if you bought back then and held onto it you sitting pretty....but probably not happening in SNE....lol

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Talk to me about residential real estate.  It’s been apeshit between my 2 jobs the last 9-10mo.  Covid made our workload double. Brand new development we were working with developer on broke ground a year ago and did not put 1st foundation in till March.  They have reservations now on all 46 lots.  I have never seen projects sell this fast.  We are in the process ourselves of eliciting bids to have an addition put on.  Value proposition our existing home coupled with interest rakes make it the perfect time to do so.

Thanks. I just told the wife this. There will never be a better time to take out a reno loan to do the upgrades we’ve been thinking about. My son also goes into kindergarten in Sept so we’re easentially getting a $1200/mo raise...by not having to pay for daycare. The stars could be aligning for us...just have to pull the trigger now. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Thanks. I just told the wife this. There will never be a better time to take out a reno loan to do the upgrades we’ve been thinking about. My son also goes into kindergarten in Sept so we’re easentially getting a $1200/mo raise...by not having to pay for daycare. The stars could be aligning for us...just have to pull the trigger now. 

It’s fukin ridiculous the day care costs these days.....we’re almost on the back end now with only my son attending summer camp.....we can leave our 13 yr old by herself now and even her younger brother for short times so we’re not needing the care as much but I remember all too well how not having to pay that definitely felt like a substantial raise.....

8 hours ago, ice1972 said:

It’s fukin ridiculous the day care costs these days.....we’re almost on the back end now with only my son attending summer camp.....we can leave our 13 yr old by herself now and even her younger brother for short times so we’re not needing the care as much but I remember all too well how not having to pay that definitely felt like a substantial raise.....

Yup. We pay close to $2400/mo for the two which is equivalent to the mortgage on the house lol. It’s insane. This is America. 

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I should have proof-read what I wrote.  :lol:   Daycare is ridiculous.  I don't even remember how we paid for it back then.  Now I just need to worry about helping my kid through College.

Finding contractors right now is hard.  They are all busy and booked out, so it may take time to hire one who can work with you.  You may want to also hire a local Architect/Designer to put together a set of plans you can bid with, that way you can make sure your getting a good price for the proposed work.  That's what my wife and I do.  We each have our day-to-day jobs but also have our own company because the need was there.  We do everything from small interior renovations to full blown million+ homes.  People are leaving the cities in droves and are looking for places to live.  This is driving up the values of existing and new homes astronomically.  We've seen the appraised value of our own go up $100k in a little over a year.

15 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I should have proof-read what I wrote.  :lol:   Daycare is ridiculous.  I don't even remember how we paid for it back then.  Now I just need to worry about helping my kid through College.

Finding contractors right now is hard.  They are all busy and booked out, so it may take time to hire one who can work with you.  You may want to also hire a local Architect/Designer to put together a set of plans you can bid with, that way you can make sure your getting a good price for the proposed work.  That's what my wife and I do.  We each have our day-to-day jobs but also have our own company because the need was there.  We do everything from small interior renovations to full blown million+ homes.  People are leaving the cities in droves and are looking for places to live.  This is driving up the values of existing and new homes astronomically.  We've seen the appraised value of our own go up $100k in a little over a year.

The price of lumber, sheetrock etc etc, plumbing supplies is off the hook as well. 

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Thanks. Yea, we have an architect drawing up plans for us so we’re already at that stage. We have a contractor on standby as well but do you only do reno’s locally in your area?

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The price of lumber, sheetrock etc etc, plumbing supplies is off the hook as well. 

Yeah, lumber has seen a 200-300% increase in price.  Hearing a lot of it has to do with lumber yards not being able to dispose of the sawdust waste thus having to curtail operations.  Also due to reduced staffing because of the rabbit in the room.  PT lumber and composite decking are also in short supply.  Most other building material costs have remained stable though.