Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

6 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

You people are insane. This is a weather forum. 5 years ago 90% of the posts on here were about the weather and actually provided value. Now 99% of the posts in here are useless. Go fight with the weenies on twitter if you want to bicker.

You get my vote for most humorless boring poster here. Try sci.geo.meteorology.net

43 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

At least we can get some ice fishing in, almost 5" of ice. 

IMG_20210118_132034503_compress7.jpg

Safe ice on the smaller ponds here, saw some ice fishermen today and some kids playing hockey on another, also saw the bigger ponds/lakes with open water. Maybe the cold that's on it's way will put a good coating on the bigger ones.

6 hours ago, MJO812 said:

I appreciate  all the long range forecasts.

I am really stressed out right now. I'm currently looking for a 2 family house which will cost 800k+ and looking to get married.

Having some snow will ease the stress.

I'm basically  planning everything right now by myself since her family doesn't have alot of money or  know alot about homes.

I wish my dad was still around to help me

He passed away 9 years ago of pancreatic cancer at 52 years old. 

Sorry about your dad. I lost mine in 2015 at 65. 

Do you have to be in the city though? Can you come to coastal CT and train/commute into work?

Even Danbury is a good spot for NYC workers...lots of folks there are originally from the city.

23 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'm not a huge fan of the white ice, tends to be a little soft and honeycomb in places but I guess 5" is pretty damn solid.  Where are the tip-ups?

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

He hasn't dug the holes yet, it takes a while with those hand augers, I'd rather chip it than use those augers

That's an electric powered auger lol.  Some 1970s thing I got for free, works mint.  I just hook it up to a little might max battery.  Drilled 15 holes through 18" of ice last year. 

2016119962_IMG_20210118_1538282_compress48.thumb.jpg.656039e701daddec446122f7e475592f.jpg The tip ups are there, there's 3 in the picture alone lol.  Just hard to see. Got 6 fish, 1 decent largemouth and this large wiggly snake. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Sorry about your dad. I lost mine in 2015 at 65. 

Do you have to be in the city though? Can you come to coastal CT and train/commute into work?

Even Danbury is a good spot for NYC workers...lots of folks there are originally from the city.

I was just reading about the lack of affordable housing in Danbury due to city flight.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was just reading about the lack of affordable housing in Danbury due to city flight.

Yea. City folk has flocked there but if Ant is buying a 800k two family home in the city (not new?)...he can get a brand new 2200sq ft townhome on the west side of dxr for 500k and have an hour and change commute, depending on where his precinct is.

53 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I know people do it all the time ice fishing but it always cracks me up to see a bonfire going on a frozen pond/lake.  Seems counter-intuitive.

Actually a little science tells you that the coldest part of a fire is at the bottom, there is usually very little ice melt.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. City folk has flocked there but if Ant is buying a 800k two family home in the city (not new?)...he can get a brand new 2200sq ft townhome on the west side of dxr for 500k and have an hour and change commute, depending on where his precinct is.

People are paying cash for those and they disappear overnight 

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Actually a little science tells you that the coldest part of a fire is at the bottom, there is usually very little ice melt.

Ha yeah I mean I see plenty of friends do it ice-fishing... or even just partying with a fire on Lake Elmore.  It’s just one of those funny things... “so you want to have a bonfire on the frozen lake, huh?”  First time you hear it, it’s like go figure.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha yeah I mean I see plenty of friends do it ice-fishing... or even just partying with a fire on Lake Elmore.  It’s just one of those funny things... “so you want to have a bonfire on the frozen lake, huh?”  First time you hear it, it’s like go figure.

My wife freaked out when we started a fire on the ice while ice skating at night when I first met her. Took me a while to explain it was ok we were not going to melt 12 inches of ice,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

Thought it was a hand auger, that's pretty cool, never saw an electric one. We used to catch a lot of pike ice fishing, some perch too. Used to go with my uncle a lot, when he moved down south he gave me all his ice fishing stuff, the tips I got are from 1950 but they work well.

I still have my grandfather’s hand made tip-ups and the stainless chisel he made working in the Quincy ship yard.  Also the sled boxes my dad built. 

• Like 1

I’m glad we got into our house when we did in March 2019... the market basically exploded right after we bought.

We got a great deal too. The house had been in litigation and sitting unfinished for a while while it was in court; and it was finally finished and we bought it basically brand new a month later.

The sellers wanted nothing to do with doing any landscape or finishing anything else in the house so we bought it as is for like 20k less than market at least.

It was plumbed for a third full bath downstairs so we finished that. We paid 400k and we could probably sell it tomorrow for close to 500k if not more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

That's an electric powered auger lol.  Some 1970s thing I got for free, works mint.  I just hook it up to a little might max battery.  Drilled 15 holes through 18" of ice last year. 

2016119962_IMG_20210118_1538282_compress48.thumb.jpg.656039e701daddec446122f7e475592f.jpg The tip ups are there, there's 3 in the picture alone lol.  Just hard to see. Got 6 fish, 1 decent largemouth and this large wiggly snake. 

Chain pickerel. Bony and pia to clean.  Stew fish.