Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s very important to stomp out the anti vaxxer misinformation very quickly when it pops up. As you know, stupidity can spread like wildfire.

It's ok to be concerned about a new vaccine but vaccines have a pretty good track record of effectiveness.  I don't get the flu shot yearly but I am up to date with everything else, as is my family.

Just now, PhineasC said:

It is already bad. Many businesses (mine included) are facing legal threats from both sides of the debate. Some say we go too far trying to protect everyone, others say we don't go far enough. Both sides have arguments they can make related to personal freedom of choice and safety. It's a total mess. There is no way I would throw gasoline on that fire by even having an official opinion on the vaccine, much less mandating it...

This will go Supreme Court if it becomes a big enough liability for businesses.  It may anyway based on observed resistance. 

Just wait until the idea of "vaccine passports" gets introduced.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

This will go Supreme Court if it becomes a big enough liability for businesses.  It may anyway based on observed resistance. 

I have employees who would say vaccine passports are one of the most insidious violations of their personal freedoms imaginable, akin to stealing people's babies at night and taking them away in vans. I have others who would say, unless I force each employee to show their vaccine passport every morning via a company-wide Zoom call, I am literally killing people.

It is starting to really worry me how entrenched everyone is becoming on every single issue...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

I have employees who would say vaccine passports are one of the most insidious violations of their personal freedoms imaginable, akin to stealing people's babies at night and taking them away in vans. I have others who would say, unless I force each employee to show their vaccine passport every morning via a company-wide Zoom call, I am literally killing people.

It is starting to really worry me how entrenched everyone is becoming on every single issue...

Yeah, we can save that discussion over a bottle of bourbon up at your place. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

Lol, idiots. If they refuse, they get what they deserve

Yeah, it just really sucks for all the people who can't get the vaccine due to allergies etc and the ~10% who won't develop immunity from the vaccine. That's why we need high resistance and low case loads in the community.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I have friends who are high up in public health positions in NH and MA.  The internal surveys, inquiring about personal vaccine compliance, among both "state and town employees", is discouraging.  That's all I can really say about that here but there are a lot of people who are not on board.

I ask people all the time if they would get the vaccine, the majority say no.

7 minutes ago, eduggs said:

Yeah, it just really sucks for all the people who can't get the vaccine due to allergies etc and the ~10% who won't develop immunity from the vaccine. That's why we need high resistance and low case loads in the community.

I think hard about it since I have anaphylactic reactions to wasp stings. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I ask people all the time if they would get the vaccine, the majority say no.

The survival rate is north of 99.7%

You possibly can still spread COVID after getting the vaccine.

You still need to wear a mask and distance indefinitely after getting the vaccine.

All of the above leads to a rather weak value proposition for many people. That’s even before you add in the conspiracy stuff and the fact it’s still emergency use. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I think hard about it since I have anaphylactic reactions to wasp stings. 

Maybe consider getting your vaccine at or very close to a hospital just in case.  And obviously have the EpiPen ready. Fortunately severe anaphylactic reactions have been rare.

9 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

The survival rate is north of 99.7%

You possibly can still spread COVID after getting the vaccine.

You still need to wear a mask and distance indefinitely after getting the vaccine.

All of the above leads to a rather weak value proposition for many people. That’s even before you add in the conspiracy stuff and the fact it’s still emergency use. 

That could be a high estimate for survival. Getting an accurate estimate would depend on how causes of death are attributed and how many people have been infected. Without accurate and widespread serological testing for COVID antibodies, we won't really have a good estimate. Regardless, it is significantly deadlier than the flu and deadly enough to cause a little anxiety if you are infected.

Getting vaccinated is not just important for personal health. It's critical that we get case numbers much much lower. Obviously a high vaccination to infection ratio protects the heard. But it also significantly reduces the number of mutations that occur. Right now, with millions of cases worldwide, there is an increased chance of a mutation creating a "new strain" that is partially resistant to the current generation of vaccines. That would be devastating. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That’s my fear.... common sense would tell you, if everyone has had equal access to a vaccine, and you chose not to get it, we’re moving on without you. I’m not going to continue to live in a dystopian society because joe and Jane blow don’t want to get the vaccine. 

Well I was just going to type something along these lines, but you said it for me. And the news yesterday from CDC saying about 30 percent of the available U.S. doses are going to waste because of overly restrictive or P.P.P. rollout plans is just annoying. All while others are D*cking around on useless endeavours...

19 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

Well I was just going to type something along these lines, but you said it for me. And the news yesterday from CDC saying about 30 percent of the available U.S. doses are going to waste because of overly restrictive or P.P.P. rollout plans is just annoying. All while others are D*cking around on useless endeavours...

It is appalling that their is even a single vile/dose going to waste. That is just inexcusable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It is appalling that their is even a single vile/dose going to waste. That is just inexcusable.

Yep. Just get rid of the whole tier approach and make it a free for all. I think the govt underestimated the number of people not willing to get the vaccine and got too cute with the tier thing. So long as LTC's residents have gotten theirs, then I see no reason at this point to not dole it out to everyone. This will absolutely prolong the pandemic.

17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Yep. Just get rid of the whole tier approach and make it a free for all. I think the govt underestimated the number of people not willing to get the vaccine and got too cute with the tier thing. So long as LTC's residents have gotten theirs, then I see no reason at this point to not dole it out to everyone. This will absolutely prolong the pandemic.

The government always messes up this stuff. Centralized planning fails every time because humans aren't always rational or all that predictable.

9 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Public schools and some universities require proof of vaccinations to attend, so we've always had a vaccine passport.

16 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Public schools and some universities require proof of vaccinations to attend, so we've always had a vaccine passport.

Saw some summer program requirements for programs at my uni and this will be the case. Plus continuing testing 3 times per week or you will not have building access since we have gone all electronic. UMass's testing program has been top-notch. Can schedule a day or two before, in and out of the Mullins Center within 15 minutes even if there are 20 people in line before you, get test results that night or early the next morning, even for non-students.

7 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We're in a very low population density area, and this week was the first time any acquaintances caught the virus - a family that had been attending the same church as us but moved to another nearby one last summer.  We have good friends in that 2nd church so we'll be alert for future cases there.

churchs, and anywhere indoors for periods of time greater than 10-15 mins, are huge huge risks regardless of population density.  Does your congregation do mass online?

5 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

churchs, and anywhere indoors for periods of time greater than 10-15 mins, are huge huge risks regardless of population density.  Does your congregation do mass online?

Our small church had online-only services from mid March into June.  Currently we have in-person services with both masks and distancing - seems like the church-related outbreaks are mostly in places that do neither.  We also put the Sunday AM service online for folks whose health/preference means they wouldn't attend at this time.