Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

47 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Honda hands down....throws it back where it came from.

I said ariens...but you’re right, although I’ve never had one. They are the Cadillac’s (Tesla’s) of snowblowers. Always wanted a tracked one:

https://www.hardwarestore.com/brands/honda-snow-blower-28-g270-hss928aatd.html?ps=182&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2vqZ3bCL7gIVGKSzCh0n-wRfEAQYBCABEgKb0PD_BwE

seems so unnecessary yet very very necessary at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Supernovice said:

I said ariens...but you’re right, although I’ve never had one. They are the Cadillac’s (Tesla’s) of snowblowers. Always wanted a tracked one:

https://www.hardwarestore.com/brands/honda-snow-blower-28-g270-hss928aatd.html?ps=182&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2vqZ3bCL7gIVGKSzCh0n-wRfEAQYBCABEgKb0PD_BwE

We have a pretty big Honda track snowblower at work with all the bells and whistles. Heated grips... hand control everything. The thing is a tank, I swear it can throw snow like 75-100 feet.

Think they said it was north of 4K when they bought it. 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We have a pretty big Honda track snowblower at work with all the bells and whistles. Heated grips... hand control everything. The thing is a tank, I swear it can throw snow like 75-100 feet.

Think they said it was north of 4K when they bought it. 

That sounds amazing...maybe if we lived in Quebec City. My son is obsessed with snow removal...has anyone ever seen the Canadian operations on YouTube? Giant snowblowers on tractors etc...it’s impressive.

5 hours ago, mreaves said:

As Ginx would say, "Patience grasshopper!"

It's actually supposed to be "Patience young grasshopper" but we will let Ginx slide on that one.  Grasshopper are easily disturbed, mantis are calm and deadly.

Kung-Fu was a fun show, I grew up watching it with my dad in the 70's.  Carradine actually had very little experience before being cast as the star.  The producers turned down Bruce Lee as the lead.  :o

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Supernovice said:

Comes with optional turbo 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I have a Craftsman in MD I bought in 2008. It got me through the 2009/2010 winter but hasn't been run since 2016.

My dad bought a Craftsman Trac-26 (8 hp) in the mid-late 1980s and when he passed in 1993 I had it made part of my 1/3 inheritance - brothers in N.VA and SoCal not interested.  :lol:  Tracks were slow but just about unstoppable and though the chute-direction was hand crank it was more solid than my current joystick control.  Early in the 2008-09 winter the drivetrain wore out to the point that the friction wheel would only hit the power disc in reverse gear.  Engine had never missed a beat but a snowblower that only moves backwards wasn't very helpful.  A friend and I took the drivetrain apart and found the badly worn parts, after which I spent fruitless hours on the internet looking for replacements - no one had them.  So I had to junk the machine, gave the engine to that friend, and bought my current snowblower (another Craftsmen but according to Consumer Reports it's built by Ariens) the first week of 2011.  Not as solid as the old Trac-26 but faster-moving and gets the job done.

We got a 26" Ariens in fall of 2018 after hand-shoveling March 2018 was my breaking point....thing is a beast. I think they discontinued the 26" model after that year....now they have either 24 or 28. The key is how well it handles the snow banks at the end of the driveway. We have a wrap-around driveway living on the curve of a road on a hill. Worst possible spot for monster snow banks, they all get thrown to the outer part of the curve there so we'll get like 3 foot snow banks on a 10" storm. And because it's a wrap-around, we have two entrances to clear of snow banks.

If you need to deal with high water content snow banks that pile up, then you definitely want a monster that can handle it. Otherwise, I feel like you can easily get away with something smaller and less powerful.

46 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

I bought my first snowblower this year - a Toro PowerMax 824.  I always shoveled my driveways, but I'm turning 53 in a few weeks and that snow just keeps getting heavier and heavier.  The 20" storm in December was a worthy first test.

We shoveled and (more often) scooped snow until getting that Trac-26 for the 1994-95 winter, and of course only had 2 storms worthy of pulling the starter cord though it was a bit different in 95-96.  The 4 years in the Fort Kent back settlement we averaged 144" with seasons of 186 and 171.  The plow would clear about 2/3 of the road going uphill and since we were on that side of the road the banks on our side were twice as high as on the other.  When the snow got deep the plow driver had the wing pushing back as much as possible and when a driveway was encountered snow was spread far and deep into it.  Things were at their worst in the April 1982 blizzard - our black Chevette only had a hand-sized bit of color showing when the drifting had settled down.  It was a little car but still .  .  .

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I use my JD with 44" blower, but I'd really like to have a separate larger tractor just for snow blowing. Using the lawn mower puts a lot of strain on the sealed tranny with the hill we have on our driveway. I'm always waiting for it to snap. JD folks say she's tough and it'll probably be fine.

I have a JD X350. Really wanted to buy the snowblower attachment but I have a fairly new Ariens SHO 24 that's really good for the slushy SNE snow.  Are you happy with the JD snowblower?   I was thinking I really need a plow setup.  

My buddy has one of these in Vermont LOVE

LOL I was off by about $10k on my guess of the price of a used one. 

https://www.ebay.com/i/303744023030?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=303744023030&targetid=982034973838&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9002036&poi=&campaignid=11211718007&mkgroupid=110869207420&rlsatarget=pla-982034973838&abcId=9300435&merchantid=6296724&gclid=CjwKCAiAouD_BRBIEiwALhJH6AD5d4eMKX3x-UikoVIeUjZ3SfFeZwXOzhgkHI4KjSf8dfQ5hbQRehoCLPgQAvD_BwE

5 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I have a JD X350. Really wanted to buy the snowblower attachment but I have a fairly new Ariens SHO 24 that's really good for the slushy SNE snow.  Are you happy with the JD snowblower?   I was thinking I really need a plow setup.  

My buddy has one of these in Vermont LOVE

I don't like plows unless you have a large area to remove snow. My x320 and blower work well. I've had to replace some parts on the blower, but nothing too spendy. 200lbs of suitcase weights on the back help, but the wheels still slip sometimes on the incline even with tire chains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an Ariens 24" 9.5HP. Absolutely owned '14-'15. I think I may need a belt tightened as I hear a squeak when I dig into heavy snow, but it works great. As a side note, my Dad still has an Ariens from the late 70s that he uses. Still runs. A guy came by to help tune it up and was blown away by how well it worked. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have an Ariens 24" 9.5HP. Absolutely owned '14-'15. I think I may need a belt tightened as I hear a squeak when I dig into heavy snow, but it works great. As a side note, my Dad still has an Ariens from the late 70s that he uses. Still runs. A guy came by to help tune it up and was blown away by how well it worked. 

I wanted to get an Ariens too but I cheaped out and got another toro

Ariens Professional Hydro EFI 28 here.   Replaced a 24 inch Ariens 2 years ago that was about 20 years old and had a failing slip disc, and wouldn't reliably go forward anymore (like tamarack).  Upgraded to the hydrostatic drive to avoid the failing slip disk issue in the older machine.  24 inch snow depth capacity, and drift cutters.  I live on a cul-de-sac and have a double wide driveway 200 feet long so lots of snow needs moving.  Hoping this is the last snow blower I'll need to buy.   

image.png.a1e5b5d17f05562ce543e9f52bdfacd6.png

• Like 2