Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

21 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

One good thing about a rower as a piece of cardio is that it’s easy on the knees , it’s also a safe movement for the shoulders and can improve posture (if you “finish” the Row w shoulder blades down and back )

Yea. I too often see people pulling with their shoulders instead of focusing on the middle back and pulling with their lats. It’s cringe worthy...keep the pulls lower and squeeze. My trainer always says, “lats not traps”. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Do any of you use a water rower?  Are those any better/worse than a flywheel (or whatever) one?

I personally don’t like a water rower as much .

A traditional rower allows you to set resistance Between 1 and 10 . I train a group of ladies mostly 40-75 years old and I pin the resistance on 10 and leave it there  . That may seem odd but The 10 resistance is not that hard and they really enjoy it , the added resistance is also a bit better for bone density thou so that’s part of my bias with their use . 

Also , Rowing on a water rower doesn’t seem to have any resistance setting and it feels to me like the resistance is set so low and you just have to increase the speed of your actual rowing to make up the difference. I don’t like that trade off (needing more speed) , unless someone has perfect form and less physical complications. 

I am no expert on rowing those are just my experiences and I would say it’s definitely better to use either of them than sit on the couch 

19 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I personally don’t like a water rower as much .

A traditional rower allows you to set resistance Between 1 and 10 . I train a group of ladies mostly 40-75 years old and I pin the resistance on 10 and leave it there  . That may seem odd but The 10 resistance is not that hard and they really enjoy it , the added resistance is also a bit better for bone density thou so that’s part of my bias with their use . 

Also , Rowing on a water rower doesn’t seem to have any resistance setting and it feels to me like the resistance is set so low and you just have to increase the speed of your actual rowing to make up the difference. I don’t like that trade off (needing more speed) , unless someone has perfect form and less physical complications. 

I am no expert on rowing those are just my experiences and I would say it’s definitely better to use either of them than sit on the couch .

On a somewhat serious and under reported note Many folks are in for a wake up call , (when they go back to the their doctor for a check up for their first time in a year ) , the weight gain from booze and stress eating of this last year will undoubtedly lead to a gigantic spike in diabetes and people being surprisingly told they are “pre diabetic” .  Cardio is people’s friend .

I am happy to report that I have had the opposite experience.  At my last physical in November, all of my blood work numbers had improved significantly and I have lost over 10lbs since starting to work from home in March.  I am not eating out for lunch every day and there are no colleagues with candy bowls on their desks to visit.  I am suffering the same seasonal lull in activity that I always seem to do for the couple of months between the end of golf season and when outdoor winter activities really start to pick up.  That's why I got the rower.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

One good thing about a rower as a piece of cardio is that it’s easy on the knees , it’s also a safe movement for the shoulders and can improve posture (if you “finish” the Row w shoulder blades down and back )

Elliptical is king.  I sometimes have problems bending at the hips with the rower. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I am happy to report that I have had the opposite experience.  At my last physical in November, all of my blood work numbers had improved significantly and I have lost over 10lbs since starting to work from home in March.  I am not eating out for lunch every day and there are no colleagues with candy bowls on their desks to visit.  I am suffering the same seasonal lull in activity that I always seem to do for the couple of months between the end of golf season and when outdoor winter activities really start to pick up.  That's why I got the rower.

For some, things are different. The two hours they spent in the car commuting every day was replaced by time exercising in and around their home. So some people made the best of this. Agreed on others getting fat and more sick, however. I have seen some folks I know who look pretty rough after all this time. Especially when they haven't gotten their hair cut or trimmed their facial hair (for some reason?) since the summer... I'm sure we have all encountered these "zombie" people at this point. Not everyone does well when cut off from physical social interaction and a routine of leaving the house. It's very damaging to them. I try to encourage exercise to everyone I can. It's the best way to deal with this. I know it helps me.

54 minutes ago, mreaves said:

That’s awesome and impressive .

42 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Elliptical is king.  I sometimes have problems bending at the hips with the rower. 

I like the elliptical a lot  . I like it also to “push the pace” for folks who will never be able to replicate That intensity Running or on Treadmill . I wish my small studio had one . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. I was thinking about that. I have some cash in my Ameritrade account but I don’t know who to put it down on. It would be a long term play. Any suggestions?

I actually bought some SNDL yesterday, might just be a short term thing though...hard to say what a long term might be, because I will assume a bunch more companies are going to sprout up over the next year knowing business might start "booming"

I have a small amount set aside to use in the penny stock "game", it has actually done quite well recently. I make more doing that than I ever did in fantasy sports.

On another note , after about a half day sell off in only large tech stocks , the Stock market has otherwise been on fire. Up Huge today .

I think a large catalyst is the market now pricing in a bigger stimulus package (similar to the one just passed ) as well as a green energy and infrastructure spending bill . Bond prices have fallen as 10 year Bond rose fast and stocks have smelled the new money on way that will fuel more historic levels of speculation as Measured by Margin debt , market cap to GDP and name any other measure . It’s quite incredible

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

On another note , after about a half day sell off in only large tech stocks , the Stock market has otherwise been on fire. Up Huge today .

I think a large catalyst is the market now pricing in a bigger stimulus package (similar to the one just passed ) as well as a green energy and infrastructure spending bill . Bond prices have fallen as 10 year Bond rose fast and stocks have smelled the new money on way that will fuel more historic levels of speculation as Measured by Margin debt , market cap to GDP and name any other measure . It’s quite incredible

Once covid cases start going down and we can reopen more, we're gonna party like it's 1999

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

For some, things are different. The two hours they spent in the car commuting every day was replaced by time exercising in and around their home. So some people made the best of this. Agreed on others getting fat and more sick, however. I have seen some folks I know who look pretty rough after all this time. Especially when they haven't gotten their hair cut or trimmed their facial hair (for some reason?) since the summer... I'm sure we have all encountered these "zombie" people at this point. Not everyone does well when cut off from physical social interaction and a routine of leaving the house. It's very damaging to them. I try to encourage exercise to everyone I can. It's the best way to deal with this. I know it helps me.

I have to admit, I am not the best when it comes to regimented exercise.  In summer and fall I do plenty of stuff like playing golf and working on snowmobile trails that keep me busy and even when winter gets in full swing I am outside snowmobiling and snowshoeing.  The shoulder seasons are the hardest for me to remain active in and that's when I usually gain a little weight.  In the past, I would go to the gym and force myself to do an hour an whatever machine was there.  I'm hoping it will be easier with the machine at home now.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Once covid cases start going down and we can reopen more, we're gonna party like it's 1999

Unless of course the markets take that as a sign the fed will be tapering their support soon after . But ya regular folks may go “wild”. Will probably happen this summer when things warm up and people want to drink and have fun near the water. 

I invested huge in renewable energy stocks and solar back in 2016/2017. Most of them have seen absolutely insane growth. I bought 500 shares of Solaredge for $12 back in 2017. Its trading at $360 today. Cost me 6k in 2017 and is now worth 180k. Solaredge makes inverters for Solar panels. I also bought a ton of Enphase the second largest solar inveter manufacturer for a little over a dollar. Its trading at $216 today. 

I had solar installed back in 2016 and knew there was going to be huge growth in it. Especially with the crazy subsidies in New England. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I invested huge in renewable energy stocks and solar back in 2016/2017. Most of them have seen absolutely insane growth. I bought 500 shares of Solaredge for $12 back in 2017. Its trading at $360 today. Cost me 6k in 2017 and is now worth 180k. Solaredge makes inverters for Solar panels. I also bought a ton of Enphase the second largest solar inveter manufacturer for a little over a dollar. Its trading at $216 today. 

I had solar installed back in 2016 and knew there was going to be huge growth in it. Especially with the crazy subsidies in New England. 

Dang. Nice foresight. Anything worth purchasing now?

8 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Dang. Nice work. Anything worth purchasing now?

Look into battery storage stocks. Its going to explode in growth the next few years with more solar and battery storage and electric vehicles. NEE is a good one I would invest in right now 

• Thanks 1

Or if your Bullish on Market ..look thru the individual company holdings on the Various ARK ETF’s. (all full of innovative technology)

look at ARKG for example , you go thru the individual stocks that make up the etf, all companies full of disruptive technology that Someone else managing 17 Billion has done tremendous Due Diligence on And look to buy the dips , go thru ARKK , ARKQ, ARKW. There are so many home runs in there it’s silly .