Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

12 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Not until I have at least an inch of snow OTG 

I get it, but In fairness, last year was weeks and weeks of well above normal temps, and not a hint of snow (real or digital), and it didn't feel remotely close to normal winter.

This year (while some still wait) has had snow in the MA to NE, and its still early in the game.  Not sure how that's not a +.  Just because someone's backyard is brown (like mine has been for weeks), doesn't make it a horrid winter.  I've seen several periods where some/many from this forum were celebrating snow this year.  That's great, and more likely to come.  We all literally and figuratively need to just chill out a bit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

GFS has a low in TN next Friday with rain all the way to Buffalo.  Just no cold air which continues to be a theme this winter as that could be a great WAA event as it eventually turns into a hybrid miller b.

It's getting tedious waiting for any colder air to arrive. Looks like after that storm there is some dropping behind it into the Midwest, but again that's another 10 day wait to see if its actually true.  I'm still optimistic but we need to see it get  under 10 days before we believe any colder air is truly coming.  Wait and See!

4 minutes ago, LP08 said:

It's getting tedious waiting for any colder air to arrive. Looks like after that storm there is some dropping behind it into the Midwest, but again that's another 10 day wait to see if its actually true.  I'm still optimistic but we need to see it get  under 10 days before we believe any colder air is truly coming.  Wait and See!

Yup, I hear you on that.  I used to want to threats get inside 5 days....at this point, I'd be happy to see it get within 10.  Still think we'll score but isn't this hobby fun?!

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

I get it, but In fairness, last year was weeks and weeks of well above normal temps, and not a hint of snow (real or digital), and it didn't feel remotely close to normal winter.

BWI and DCA were both above average with December temps and are currently running 4-5 degrees above for January so far (which will likely go higher by the end of the week). There hasn't been a below-average day since December 27. Yes, it could turn around, but so far it feels awfully similar to last year in the end result.

10 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Cuts to Chicago :arrowhead:

gfs_z500a_namer_45.png

6 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

BWI and DCA were both above average with December temps and are currently running 4-5 degrees above for January so far (which will likely go higher by the end of the week). There hasn't been a below-average day since December 27. Yes, it could turn around, but so far it feels awfully similar to last year in the end result.

its 3-5 above average "up" here as well.  I'd bet a dollar to a dime last years departures were 2x+ at same timeframe w/ no end in sight.  

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

If you are putting so much faith in an Op run at 264hrs....there's really not much one can do for you.  Kidding aside you and i both know that's not happening, and will look notably different by the weekend.  

Yes, agree we both know thats not how it'll turn out at the surface with a verbatim 500 like that but comical to see the ways we fail on the OP GFS.  

Para GFS looking way more realistic in its surface depiction  IMO.  1054 H pressing down preventing it from cutting (eta: or maybe not lol)

10 minutes ago, Amped said:

Finally models showing cold and a 50/50 low in the long range.   

The stupid ridge over the gulf coast is our issue now.  

Instead of a broad spread out w-e trough under the epo/NAO ridge (which is typically what you would expect) the guidance tries to split the trough and pump a ridge in between. Ugh 

43 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Outside of Minnesota that’s not even impressive for morning lows. Even in Minnesota rose temps are probably 30 degrees above record lows.

I lived in Winnipeg during the winter of 76-77. I remember the tv forecaster saying “it’s going to be a beautiful day today, a great day to take the kids to the zoo. The high today will be -15 F ....”.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Keep getting enough lows trying to develop in the Ark/Missouri region with this blocking and one of them is gonna hammer us.

Everyone loves the idea of a big blocking pattern, but then they don't want to be patient. It is a favorable pattern but often can be frustrating. There was a long wait for another winter storm after the December event in 2009. Imagine if that had missed. There would have been nothing until almost Feb. And that was a moderate Nino. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Everyone loves the idea of a big blocking pattern, but then they don't want to be patient. It is a favorable pattern but often can be frustrating. There was a long wait for another winter storm after the December event in 2009. Imagine if that had missed. There would have been nothing until almost Feb. And that was a moderate Nino. 

What pattern isn’t frustrating lol

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Instead of a broad spread out w-e trough under the epo/NAO ridge (which is typically what you would expect) the guidance tries to split the trough and pump a ridge in between. Ugh 

Somehow despite the ridging being extra prevalent through hrs 200-280, the 12z GEFS actually looks on par if not a tiny bit better at hr 288 when compared to 6z. Curious as to if a few outliers are pumping up that ridge during that day 10 time. I'd imagine they're doing what the op GFS did from 18z through 6z and are just losing the -EPO?

Just now, Cobalt said:

Somehow despite the ridging being extra prevalent through hrs 200-280, it actually looks on par if not a tiny bit better at hr 288 when compared to 6z. Curious as to if a few outliers are pumping up that ridge during that day 10 time. I'd imagine they're doing what the op GFS did from 18z through 6z and are just losing the -EPO?

12z Gfs had the epo ridge and did the same 

55 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yes, agree we both know thats not how it'll turn out at the surface with a verbatim 500 like that but comical to see the ways we fail on the OP GFS.  

Para GFS looking way more realistic in its surface depiction  IMO.  1054 H pressing down preventing it from cutting (eta: or maybe not lol)

and while the weenie in us is all in for the Para to be on point (just watched the loop and yeah...that'd make for a memorable stretch of winter for all of us).  Its an Op run.  Gut says ol man GFS is about to belly under in the coming days as tellies suggest it should.  Yeah we've been fooled before, but we've got multiple indicies in our favor....not just 1.  

8 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

and while the weenie in us is all in for the Para to be on point (just watched the loop and yeah...that'd make for a memorable stretch of winter for all of us).  Its an Op run.  Gut says ol man GFS is about to belly under in the coming days as tellies suggest it should.  Yeah we've been fooled before, but we've got multiple indicies in our favor....not just 1.  

What para are you looking at?  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic