• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

Gefs was a great run. Very cold. Blocking keeps holding stronger and longer..likely runs into Feb now. For those that want to pull hints from clown maps...the day 6-16 snow mean has a max over VA. The snow belt regions will always have a max from upslope and lake effect but otherwise the max snow axis runs just to our south. That’s a good signal.

B595FB4F-64B3-4E94-AEFA-A705451161C3.thumb.png.6da690e0527be8a3d5360fac618f7895.png
Ji will be along to take a dump on it in 3...2...1...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Gefs was a great run. Very cold. Blocking keeps holding stronger and longer..likely runs into Feb now. For those that want to pull hints from clown maps...the day 6-16 snow mean has a max over VA. The snow belt regions will always have a max from upslope and lake effect but otherwise the max snow axis runs just to our south. That’s a good signal.

B595FB4F-64B3-4E94-AEFA-A705451161C3.thumb.png.6da690e0527be8a3d5360fac618f7895.png

GEFS always shows snow  when the OP Does not. Then when the OP shows snow, the ensembles do not. whooo---4.5 inches during peak climo with a severe -AO,-NAO, -EPO

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just can’t help thinking that we have to get a little western Atlantic or se ridging to get these storms to come north a bit. I’d totally prefer cutters into cad over this. I’m done with the “we want it south of us at this range” thinking.

I wouldn’t mind getting the -pna a bit further south out west. A more SE to NE gradient would help.  So long as the blocking is ape like that we will need to get lucky we timing up a wave and phasing it to buckle the flow or getting a temporary weakness in the flow...But the blocking will relax eventually and as that happens with a very cold airmass likely rooted in the US...that’s when things could get more interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

considering the default is 3 no matter what the winter is---its really 1 -2 inches

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just can’t help thinking that we have to get a little western Atlantic or se ridging to get these storms to come north a bit. I’d totally prefer cutters into cad over this. I’m done with the “we want it south of us at this range” thinking.

Very selfish of you.:P

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I wouldn’t mind getting the -pna a bit further south out west. A more SE to NE gradient would help.  So long as the blocking is ape like that we will need to get lucky we timing up a wave and phasing it to buckle the flow or getting a temporary weakness in the flow...But the blocking will relax eventually and as that happens with a very cold airmass likely rooted in the US...that’s when things could get more interesting. 

I agree. You can see the over running potential as well as that of an amped system cutting and hitting a wall and throwing us some precip into what is like to be some stout cad.

Just now, Ji said:

considering the default is 3 no matter what the winter is---its really 1 -2 inches

We’ve had a lot of runs less then 3. Since they upgraded the GEFS it’s snow maps have been less stupid skewed high by outliers.  But also that’s a 10 day mean not 16. So you’re exaggerating and comparing a 10 day to a typical 16 day map. 

BTW the euro wasn’t that far from a better solution. 
65993861-8943-453F-80EE-5ED690DB9493.thumb.jpeg.bf1c3870d7a209f8ffbbce51a657cfa6.jpeg

we need 1 and 2 to phase. Instead they don’t and flatten each other out. We need 3 to be a couple hundred miles east...or not there at all..timing up a wave rotating down a trapped 50/50 at day 8 is hard.  It’s not out of the question. I don’t care about details past about 150 because they change run to run a lot.  150 in I want to see it closer because the adjustments seem to be more incremental once inside about that range. 

• Like 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

We’ve had a lot of runs less then 3. Since they upgraded the GEFS it’s snow maps have been less stupid skewed high by outliers.  But also that’s a 10 day mean not 16. So you’re exaggerating and comparing a 10 day to a typical 16 day map. 

BTW the euro wasn’t that far from a better solution. 
65993861-8943-453F-80EE-5ED690DB9493.thumb.jpeg.bf1c3870d7a209f8ffbbce51a657cfa6.jpeg

we need 1 and 2 to phase. Instead they don’t and flatten each other out. We need 3 to be a couple hundred miles east...or not there at all..timing up a wave rotating down a trapped 50/50 at day 8 is hard.  It’s not out of the question. I don’t care about details past about 150 because they change run to run a lot.  150 in I want to see it closer because the adjustments seem to be more incremental once inside about that range. 

Love that look at at that range number 3 is likely modeled too far west.

• Like 1

Seems like the EPS Control followed this line of thinking.. although it cuts the primary into Indiana lol. FWIW still a healthy signal during that time on the main ensemble.

12 minutes ago, Dabuckeyes said:

That looks close.  To me it looks positive tilt going neutral.  If I had to guess I would say if a storm is there it would be a close miss to the south.  Would love to see a next frame.

Same here... but the UKMET only goes out to 144 lol.  That's why I was asking if we were to extrapolate out another 12 to 24 hours if this would be good for us or a miss

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic