Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

1 hour ago, cbmclean said:

I admit to being a fainter, but I try to keep my spells off of the board.

That being said, I am only able to devote a tiny percentage of the time to this hobby that I would like right now so I depend on this board for pretty much all my LR information.  I'm actually going to try to make myself a little chart to encapsulate a subjective opinion the status of how good or bad the pattern looks on the two primary ensembles (GEFS, EPS).  To keep it apples-to-apples I am only going to ignore the 06Z and 18Z GEFS, and just consider at the 00Z and 12Z runs. 

So my plan is to fill in this chart with values from 1 - 10, with 1 being last January and 10 being the best pattern you can imagine.

I accept any and all suggestions for numbers

00Z GEFS        00Z EPS

Day1 - 5                3                      3

Day 6 - 10             5                      5

Day 11-15            7                      1

I would bump the GEFS to a 8 long range and the EPS isn’t good but it’s not a 1. It does still have a -AO and there is at least hope with that. Last year with that pac and a +AO was a 1. I’d give the EPS a 2/3 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Maybe just have a LR discussion thread(this one) and then make another one for identifying/discussing potential discrete threats inside 6 days. When we get inside 3 with a legit threat we can make a specific storm thread and jinx it.

Yea “long range pattern thread” and “medium range storm thread” thread. 

• Like 2

I like the idea of a long range thread and then separate threads for specific threats that pop up within a week. Perhaps a lot of those threads will die a slow or quick death when the threat fails to materialize, but who cares? It will just fade down the board over time. It gets confusing in here sometimes when people post about a certain model run and don't specify the storm or date of the threat they are giving their analysis about.

• Like 1

@frd @CAPE @WxUSAF

there is a dichotomy long range. The strat crew keeps hinting Feb could rock. The MJO/AAM/GLAM gang thinks we torch feb. There are conflicting signals. The progression of the tropical forcing and angular momentum favors a warmer canonical Nina Feb. The SSW progression favors Feb as when we see the greatest impacts on the TPV and subsequent blocking and cold intrusion into the mid latitudes. The question is which driver wins that fight or if it’s a stalemate does that end up favorable enough for us?   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just in case anyone wasn’t in on the joke the gefs didn’t cave.  Even out to day 16 it was pretty similar if not slightly better then the 0/6z runs. Model death match still on.

I don't have access to any of the pay sites so I just have TT and they didn't have the 12Z yet, so I wasn't in on it.  My heart sank.  Now its back on life support.

Just in case anyone wasn’t in on the joke the gefs didn’t cave.  Even out to day 16 it was pretty similar if not slightly better then the 0/6z runs. Model death match still on.

GEFS has done well the last few months. Doesn’t mean it’s right here, but in previous years when the GEFS was on its own you knew it was going to cave eventually. EPS has caved to it several times this winter. 

The 17-20th period definitely has potential.  Not much else to say now.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yeah the system sucks on moving posts. 

Especially on a phone

34 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I would bump the GEFS to a 8 long range and the EPS isn’t good but it’s not a 1. It does still have a -AO and there is at least hope with that. Last year with that pac and a +AO was a 1. I’d give the EPS a 2/3 

20210109 12Z updates

12Z GEFS        12Z EPS

Day1 - 5                3                      3

Day 6 - 10             5                      5

Day 11-15            8                      2

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

This is an intriguing look. Would be plenty cold and offer storm chances. Gotta have that EPO ridge though.

1611576000-5Z8jVpct9AI.png

Yes. It all comes down to that. The GEPS is fully on the EPS side now. Both lose the EPO ridge and the pac jet gets directed right into the CONUS.  It’s all down to that one feature because everything else is identical across guidance (except for features that are a direct effect of that difference). 

• Like 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Definitely but I guess that part I just took for granted since the -NAO is there across all guidance. The difference is the GEPS/EPS lost the EPO ridge and develops a flat pac ridge. 

Really want it to be pretty strongly negative and well placed too.

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I like this thread split already. We can look down the road at the modeled pattern and discuss it without upsetting some folks lol.

I think the EPS took a baby step towards a better look for the threat window around the 20th

25287BFC-FBFD-4F11-9460-8AA663499C79.thumb.jpeg.2067f316dc281f7769ead466cf755344.jpeg

much better ridging into the west and more depth to the eastern trough as well as a better alignment. Only snag is it still washes the wave in front of it out and so the WAR is still there. If that wave can amplify into a 50/50 that’s a really good look. But 2/3 factors moved in the right direction. Meatloaf approves. 

• Like 4

Yes..took a step back from the ledge. Also better NAO block and that wasn’t even a problem to begin with. 

Better all the way around.  Still tries to dump the trough out west near the end but it was a solid step towards the GEFS compared to 0z eight the EPO.  We live to fight another day.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic