• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

Dang man...I didn't realize February could go to crap...now I'm a bit nervous. It is never comfortable to just have one window. Too much can go wrong, and you have to pin your winter hopes on one or two chances. See I was hoping we were gonna finally hang on to the -AO/NAO regime and have windows into mid-February. But now I read Isotherms outlook and he says it might break down and go positive in February? Hope he's wrong...now if we can cash in second half of January...that'll be fine 

Dang it, man... @psuhoffman so you mean to tell me had that stupid pac warmth in November hadn't happened, we'd already have more snow? Smh I hope that doesn't screw us over...not when we finally got the elusive winter -ao/nao. We don't know when we'll see this in winter again...I hope we can take advantage of it somehow.

51 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I hate using normal... to me "normal" should be the median not the average since our avg is skewed by big years.  So this is kinda a silly point but my AVG is about 40" my median is about 35".  By the "avg" I should be at about 14" by now...so yes even with that one big storm in December I am still running below climo for this date.  But not by that much and I am NOT complaining...just pointing out even up here it has underperformed expectations for a sustained deeply -AO.  Frankly you would expect to be above climo with that.  

Its not that we are below average. The issue is the pattern has been good for snow. And on top of that we have had storms. Just not snowstorms. We got unlucky on the timing of the block setting up. All of the cold air got trapped on the other side of the hemisphere. And the rest is history. I still think we get hit in late January/early Feb. though.

5 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

February has looked very mild in most long ranges

Wevd  been practicing “10 days away” since mid December with zip and same zip for the theoretical benefit of SSW. 

I swear if I read anything more about a threat in the d7-d10 range being taken seriously I'm going to flip out and see the reaper. Ah shoot, too late for that.  Is there a secret lvl2 panic room? 

• Haha 1

Can we seriously stop with the "doom-posting"? I've been on here for 10 years now at varying capacities and it's the worst it's ever been. It's becoming unbearable. I'm not going to point fingers, but there's a solid crew accumulating here that really don't contribute anything to the conversation at all. Worse, y'all seem to just spew the first thought that comes into your head. A thought that has likely been stated multiple times the same week/day/hour. It feels like I read the exact same post from the exact same set of "doomers" every day on a different page. It's like a 10:1 ratio of garbage to actual discussion sometimes and is likely a large part of the reason some of our most experienced forum members have been leaving the past few years.

Give it a rest. If you don't have anything to say other than "oh no, what will we do if we don't score this month?!?", then please just keep it to yourself or take it to the banter thread.

I'm not even pointing at posters like Ji... he contributes, even if it comes with a bunch of attitude.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, TSG said:

Can we seriously stop with the "doom-posting"? I've been on here for 10 years now at varying capacities and it's the worst it's ever been. It's becoming unbearable. I'm not going to point fingers, but there's a solid crew accumulating here that really don't contribute anything to the conversation at all. Worse, y'all seem to just spew the first thought that comes into your head. A thought that has likely been stated multiple times the same week/day/hour. It feels like I read the exact same post from the exact same set of "doomers" every day on a different page. It's like a 10:1 ratio of garbage to actual discussion sometimes and is likely a large part of the reason some of our most experienced forum members have been leaving the past few years.

Give it a rest. If you don't have anything to say other than "oh no, what will we do if we don't score this month?!?", then please just keep it to yourself. 

I'm not even pointing at posters like Ji... he contributes, even if it comes with a bunch of attitude.

Hi, new doom poster here :) (although today was my only day, I've been optimistic until now) Get some snow in here and it'll get better...lol I blame the 5 year warning snow drought many of us have been in. Of the last 10 years, I think the last four or five have been kinda brutal...probably accumulated frustration.

That being said...I hear ya. I learn a lot from the knowledgeable posters here, and I'm sorry some have left...we all gotta be better. It's just something about snow psychology...it's an emotional thing or something...

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hi, new doom poster here :) (although today was my only day, I've been optimistic until now) Get some snow in here and it'll get better...lol I blame the 5 year warning snow drought many of us have been in. Of the last 10 years, I think the last four or five have been kinda brutal...probably accumulated frustration.

Understood and why there is a panic room thread. 

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

That being said...I hear ya. I learn a lot from the knowledgeable posters here, and I'm sorry some have left...we all gotta be better. It's just something about snow psychology...it's an emotional thing or something...

No offense intended dude, but this is exactly the type post I'm talking about. It fills the thread with useless fluff. Everyone knows we haven't had much snow the past few years, and everyone who is posting here likely feels the same way about that fact. We don't need to be reminded

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TSG said:

No offense intended dude, but this is exactly the type post I'm talking about. It fills the thread with useless fluff. Everyone knows we haven't had much snow the past few years, and everyone who is posting here likely feels the same way about that fact. We don't need to be reminded

I don't make the doom posts much though...this was my first since early last year. I ask more questions than anything else.

1 hour ago, TSG said:

Give it a rest. If you don't have anything to say other than "oh no, what will we do if we don't score this month?!?", then please just keep it to yourself. 

You waited until last sentence to lose your credibility. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, TSG said:

"READ MORE!  POST LESS!!"   A good adage to abide by here :)

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic