Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That wasn’t a prediction. I still bet this works out to some degree. But DC is below where I would have expected right now based on the dominant pattern Dec 1 to now. 

No I know you weren’t predicting that. I’m just saying the perspective may change

Wrt Friday...most guidance tracks the surface low over the outer banks and the upper low across southern VA. That’s a track that normally would get some snow into DC. And you can see hints at that on the moisture and RH fields. But the NS is nowhere to be found. A rotting airmass with a crap weak baroclinic zone so very little lift and no organized precip outside the convective banding under the upper low just NW of the surface low. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Wrt Friday...most guidance tracks the surface low over the outer banks and the upper low across southern VA. That’s a track that normally would get some snow into DC. And you can see hints at that on the moisture and RH fields. But the NS is nowhere to be found. A rotting airmass with a crap weak baroclinic zone so very little lift and no organized precip outside the convective banding under the upper low just NW of the surface low. 

How does that impact RVA?

Just now, nj2va said:

I’m sure someone way smarter than me can comment on the 18z EPS but just looking at 500 height anomaly, I’d say a step back from 12z for sure.

It looks great at 120:

But then looks to shear out as it gets towards the coast:

Resulting MSLP just drifts off the coast of the southeast:

image.png

image.png

image.png

That's the GEFS, unless you're comparing that to the EPS.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Look...normally I wouldn't do this, but these are desperate times.  I'll allow it.   The NAM at 84 hours H5.....not bad.

Don't look at me like that.

Sorry to stare: not because of NAM extrapolation.  It's just that you remind me of someone famous.  I bet if you weren't wearing a mask I could figure out who it is.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Look...normally I wouldn't do this, but these are desperate times.  I'll allow it.   The NAM at 84 hours H5.....not bad.

Don't look at me like that.

the 84 NAM is deadly accurate when it comes to screwing us. Remember the Dec 15 event when we all laughed it off. Now when it comes to helping us...thats a different story

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

GFS at 5H looks different (again) at H84.  

Maybe it relaxes in time but that feels like way too suppressive a flow across the northeast. In general it’s a nice setup but stepping back the ridge and trough in the east are both still centered a little south of ideal. That’s why the system keeps deamplifying as it tries to lift northeast.  We either need the flow to relax or get the NS to phase and help amp it up enough to survive it. 

Just now, nj2va said:

Yep.  Will need a little bit of ns interaction to raise heights ahead of it/pull it north but i like seeing less shredding interference so far.

i think it can get pulled north on its own...its how strong will it be as it gets pulled north towards us

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic