Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Long Range Disco Thread

yoda

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I personally would have preferred the N PAC trough back off some but not totally leave the scene.  But everyone wanted some huge EPO ridge to get arctic air into the pattern.  And it looks like they will get it.  There is a trade off though.  That is not as good a HECS look.  It opens the door to cold/dry.  It also could lead to enough SE ridge that anything that phases and bombs could cut west of us.  I want a BIG storm so I would have preferred the other look.  But if you just want some cold and snow this is probably a better look.  It just depends what your preference is.  

Exactly. We knew once the EPO popped where things would head....it was never a secret. Getting both PAC and ATL to tango is like the forbidden dance anymore. But hey, if it means a few nickel and dime clippers to keep a few posters off the ledge, then it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just getting this out of the way...there has been a VERY strong signal for a NS miller b system around the 15/16th across all guidance for days now...and its only getting stronger.  That storm is going to miss us.  Its going to screw us over.  And its going to likely dump tons of snow on the normal places to our north...and resign yourself to that now so we dont have 20 pages of woe as me posts when it happens.  That is NOT our storm...if by some miracle the blocking forces the NS to dig enough great and then we can enjoy it but just get over the idea now so it doesn't torture you for the next 10 days.  Our legit threats are the period before that and after it.  

It'll set up some good upslope at least for the mountains.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I personally would have preferred the N PAC trough back off some but not totally leave the scene.  But everyone wanted some huge EPO ridge to get arctic air into the pattern.  And it looks like they will get it.  There is a trade off though.  That is not as good a HECS look.  It opens the door to cold/dry.  It also could lead to enough SE ridge that anything that phases and bombs could cut west of us.  I want a BIG storm so I would have preferred the other look.  But if you just want some cold and snow this is probably a better look.  It just depends what your preference is.  

At this point, my preference is whatever will get MBY out of "epic disaster" for a snowfall year by the end of January.  I'd consider that ~>=10-12".

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Could be setting up an epic RIC-PHL snow hole if we don't get next Tuesday between the southern storms and that Miller B.  

I didn't want to say it...but that's possible right now.  I am curious where things go after.  It looks to be setting up an EPO ridge -AO/NAO look.  That is super rare.  They also can be wildly variable.  If the EPO ridge is far enough east its an EPIC pattern.  But if it retrogrades too far west it can be a frustrating cold/dry warm/wet pattern.   What is your gut on that look? 

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

We need the cold.  It's barely been below freezing here it seems.  A cold day this winter has been like a high of 44 and a low of 33.   I'm not expecting much, if anything, until we get real cold on this side of the CONUS.  

Yea, I’ll take a cold shot like some have described and hope we score as the airmass moderates.  Right now we need a perfect setup to score with do little cold air.  Even then, us lowlanders are not in great shape without a stretch of days with highs in the low to mid 30s.

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just getting this out of the way...there has been a VERY strong signal for a NS miller b system around the 15/16th across all guidance for days now...and its only getting stronger.  That storm is going to miss us.  Its going to screw us over.  And its going to likely dump tons of snow on the normal places to our north...and resign yourself to that now so we dont have 20 pages of woe as me posts when it happens.  That is NOT our storm...if by some miracle the blocking forces the NS to dig enough great and then we can enjoy it but just get over the idea now so it doesn't torture you for the next 10 days.  Our legit threats are the period before that and after it.  

interesting that we're able to see with near perfect clarity the storms we definitely won't get from 20 days out... :D

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Could be setting up an epic RIC-PHL snow hole if we don't get next Tuesday between the southern storms and that Miller B.  

Idk why this happens but the snow hole is a real thing in every La Nina now- it wouldn’t surprise me at all (though PHL isn’t usually a part of it though).

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

100% in the cold and some snow. Not sitting waiting on a HECS

Just now, caviman2201 said:

interesting that we're able to see with near perfect clarity the storms we definitely won't get from 20 days out... :D

it's about pain management.  The look could change.  I don't have a crystal ball.  But its been a very clear signal across all guidance there...and I know what history says about how that setup ends for us.  I would rather just resign myself to it now...then torture myself over what is "likely" not definitely, not going to end well for us.  

• Thanks 1

it's about pain management.  The look could change.  I don't have a crystal ball.  But its been a very clear signal across all guidance there...and I know what history says about how that setup ends for us.  I would rather just resign myself to it now...then torture myself over what is "likely" not definitely, not going to end well for us.  

thank you for telling us a Miller B is gonna screw us :). Thats actually my role..not yours

• Haha 4

Just now, Ji said:

take a look at the JMA. its due for a coup

It's not really a coup though other guidance has been hitting that also.  We had 2 euro op runs...the ensembles this run, and there is "some" degree of support on the GEFS.  This is not high probability yet but its not praying for some obscure model to score a coup either.  Its a legit threat, and definitely the best one we have had since mid December.  

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But I'd argue, though...with the weak sauce cold that we haven't been able to build yet...how can we possibly have a good HECS pattern? Is it possible that we could, temporarily be a little stuck between needing a period of legit cold...yet getting that cold brings would bring more suppression before it relaxes? 

In other words...right now, we struggle for cold and need a phased out bomb...lessening a chance for big snow. Yet if we get legit cold we need to give ourselves a better airmass to work with...could end up giving us a hopefully temporary period of suppression? 

(I know my thoughts are a tad jumbled but I hope my point is clear)

It's not really a coup though other guidance has been hitting that also.  We had 2 euro op runs...the ensembles this run, and there is "some" degree of support on the GEFS.  This is not high probability yet but its not praying for some obscure model to score a coup either.  Its a legit threat, and definitely the best one we have had since mid December.  

this will be ruled as banter but..  the only coup going on right now is in Congress

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Feels like you oughta make a thread with just this post and have the mods pin it at the top, lol

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

But I'd argue, though...with the weak sauce cold that we haven't been able to build yet...how can we possibly have a good HECS pattern? Is it possible that we could, temporarily be a little stuck between needing a period of legit cold...yet getting that cold brings would bring more suppression before it relaxes? 

In other words...right now, we struggle for cold and need a phased out bomb...lessening a chance for big snow. Yet if we get legit cold we need to give ourselves a better airmass to work with...could end up giving us a hopefully temporary period of suppression? 

(I know my thoughts are a tad jumbled but I hope my point is clear)

We didn't really give it much time though...the pac is just backing off now.  Maybe after a week domestic cold would be enough.  Or maybe not...I have been disappointed recently in what native airmasses look like absent cross polar flow.  

53 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Speaking of coups ....

Hope this isn't too much banter or sounding overly political (given the situation!)...but I hope you're doing OK over there right in DC.  Lived near Capitol Hill for years before moving to where I'm at now in MD, so I can imagine how crazy it must be.

10 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Plenty of good hits in the EPS.

Some flush hits,  some miss south and some miss north. 

Good overall. 

Hopefully we can build on this.

nice to actually see the EPS for once be better than the OP

• Like 6

2 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm ok with this... we are picking up our new puppy up your way in Hampstead the weekend of the 15th and I have been stressing over not being able to get there in case of snow.  It can snow the 12th and after the 16th...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic