Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 8th-9th threat

BullCityWx

10 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Judging by radar the mountains in SC are going to get blasted in the next few hours.  Plenty cold through the column even down in to the upstate.  The warm nose doesn't show up until around 11pm tonight.  Could get to see some silver dollars rip this evening in the upstate even if it's too warm to stick at the surface, imo.

My winds have been East all afternoon and Im hoping that fetch will be just good enough at the surface to keep it clean. 

• Like 3

Just now, strongwxnc said:

My winds have been East all afternoon and Im hoping that fetch will be just good enough at the surface to keep the  clean. 

I think you’ll be fine and in a great spot. Wouldn’t be surprised if your area jackpots outside of the mountain locations 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

If it’s any indication of what might happen, the birds have really been going to town on the feeders today.  And as someone infamously once said, the clouds have had time to heal since our last system.  :arrowhead:

That’s a biggie. Active birds at the feeders have an almost 100 percent correlation.

Fat birds in the spring.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, sarcean said:

Big change for Mooresville , NC (Lake Norman)! Now calling for 3-6 inches with the latest GSP forecast. Earlier it was an inch or so at most.

Mooresville seems to be just enough North to fare well with accumulation. My mother lived in Rowan Co, with a Mooresville address near Patterson Farm, and always got lots of snow!!

Enjoy!

41 minutes ago, magpiemaniac said:

If it’s any indication of what might happen, the birds have really been going to town on the feeders today.  And as someone infamously once said, the clouds have had time to heal since our last system.  :arrowhead:

What ever happened to Brick???????????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JoshWeather said:

The one big snow that i've been through was i think 2000 in Roxboro...i remember the forecasts going into the evening were calling for maybe an inch or two.  Then it started snowing...and it didn't stop snowing for 11 hours.  We ended up with over a foot and a half IIRC

Is that the yr Raleigh had like 20+"? And they weren't even forecasting a snow event? 

I was living in NoDa in CLT. I worked 10miles away. Had 9" at my house, 1" at my job! N. Tryon was a nightmare!!

I  honestly have no clue what it's going to do tonight in the upstate.  I  would lean towards mostly all rain or wet snow that can't stick... but I wouldn't be surprised if Walhalla to Pickens to Greenville got 4-6 inches. 

The column is very marginal from 825-875mb...The surface is very marginal... but if they get heavy rates for a few hours that could lead to 4 inches of concrete, and the way the radar is setting up right now looks like a death band is developing in N. GA and heading right for the upstate.

The only thing I'm sure of is the the Southern Mountains are going to get obliterated.  Clayton, GA to Highlands to Cashiers to Brevard will get 6-12 inches. 

• Like 3

I  think the boundary layer inhibiting accumulations like shown on the HRRR may be overblown, because we have ENE winds at 925-950mb and a decent cold push of air at these levels.

We aren't dealing with a boundary layer above freezing from 925mb down.  This one is very thin, and should be easily dropped to 32-33 with heavy rates, I  think.

6 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I  honestly have no clue what it's going to do tonight in the upstate.  I  would lean towards mostly all rain or wet snow that can't stick... but I wouldn't be surprised if Walhalla to Pickens to Greenville got 4-6 inches. 

The column is very marginal from 825-875mb...The surface is very marginal... but if they get heavy rates for a few hours that could lead to 4 inches of concrete, and the way the radar is setting up right now looks like a death band is developing in N. GA and heading right for the upstate.

The only thing I'm sure of is the the Southern Mountains are going to get obliterated.  Clayton, GA to Highlands to Cashiers to Brevard will get 6-12 inches. 

Man I hope so. Still so unsure about this one as its moved back and forth so many times. Still worried about that potential dry slot and of course the marginal temps and how much mixing could cut our totals.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Agree 100%..this one has big potential both ways

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

Burrel does your family still have property on Hwy 178 in Transylvania county?

• jburns unpinned this topic