Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 8th-9th threat

BullCityWx

7 minutes ago, Jwisephoto said:

Talk about getting snow holed :/ i get 3 inches and 10 miles down the road they get 10 lol what a time to live in Lenoir.

6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

SREF means are about the same as last run. Hickory is actually a bit lower 

That's living in the lee of the Apps...  Argh!

To be fair, the 3KNAM looked to have better potential for the lee than than did the 12K, but it ended at hour 60.

Again, the onset of this event for areas outside the mountains continues to be delayed, while the duration may actually be lengthened a bit.

As someone who grew up in the immediate Lee, this system is not the system you want to see. Downsloping can be a killer. With that said, not trying to be pessimistic for those living in those regions, just trying to spare you the heartache I’ve had through the years lol

edit: but being in Marion, Lenoir etc won’t be as bad in this scenario than say a location like Mt. Airy. Central foothills should be just close enough to the best dynamics to help.

Just now, BooneWX said:

As someone who grew up in the immediate Lee, this system is not the system you want to see. Downsloping can be a killer. With that said, not trying to be pessimistic for those living in those regions, just trying to spare you the heartache I’ve had through the years lol

It's definitely on my mind. You don't want to see the forcing setup south of you. I think the further north outcomes are better here. March 08 still haunts me. 

Warm inversion in the Lee sucks lol. Remember that many times in hky. Ral looks like a classic front end dusting to sleer/rain with a backend inch or two. These 10:1 maps are worthless if you live below 3000ft. I'd stick to the ferrier method for a system like this. This will be purely rate driven outside of the mountains and VA/NC border.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Warm inversion in the Lee sucks lol. Remember that many times in hky. Ral looks like a classic front end dusting to sleer/rain with a backend inch or two. These 10:1 maps are worthless if you live below 3000ft. I'd stick to the ferrier method for a system like this. This will be purely rate driven outside of the mountains and VA/NC border.

IMBY , if you use the Kuchera , it only knocks off maybe 2" from the 10:1 , so not a huge deal...

23 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Brandon - what do you think about the NW piedmont triad area?

After that last NAM run somebody will be posting the ground temp maps in 3..2..1..:P

Liking my chances either in the Triad or in Stuart, VA.  But I've been waiting to capture some snow drone footage and also wanting to film around Lover's Leap over towards Hillsville.  This could be the best of both worlds so I may be mobile come Friday morning.  

6 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

After that last NAM run somebody will be posting the ground temp maps in 3..2..1..:P

Liking my chances either in the Triad or in Stuart, VA.  But I've been waiting to capture some snow drone footage and also wanting to film around Lover's Leap over towards Hillsville.  This could be the best of both worlds so I may be mobile come Friday morning.  

We look forward to your updates!

• Like 1

• jburns unpinned this topic