Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 8th-9th threat

BullCityWx

Some thoughts:

- I would not rely on the 12km NAM precip shield depiction. Something I first noticed tracking that early Jan 2018 coastal is that it is pretty terrible and inconsistent at rendering these things, with a lot of features that aren't supported by synoptics/surface features. I think they're fun to look at but I don't take them very seriously. I trust the 3km depiction more.

- Flipside: I think somebody is going to get dry-slotted and shafted. Don't know who, but it's just the nature of these transfers of lows from inland to the coast. 

- 3km NAM is showing the "splotchy" nature of the precip shield really well- that's how it will turn out! It will be feast or famine! One lucky locale may even see a little thundersnow, not out of the question! Don't know who. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ILMRoss said:

Some thoughts:

- I would not rely on the 12km NAM precip shield depiction. Something I first noticed tracking that early Jan 2018 coastal is that it is pretty terrible and inconsistent at rendering these things, with a lot of features that aren't supported by synoptics/surface features. I think they're fun to look at but I don't take them very seriously. I trust the 3km depiction more.

- Flipside: I think somebody is going to get dry-slotted and shafted. Don't know who, but it's just the nature of these transfers of lows from inland to the coast. 

- 3km NAM is showing the "splotchy" nature of the precip shield really well- that's how it will turn out! It will be feast or famine! One lucky locale may even see a little thundersnow, not out of the question! Don't know who. 

I agree with your mention of dry slot and any transfer.  It will be interesting to see how the upcoming 00Z operational Euro depicts event

• jburns unpinned this topic