Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020/2021 Short Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

Our event page for the snow squall:
https://www.weather.gov/lot/2021jan19

Includes a short presentation put together by one of our forecasters that I tweaked for public consumption.

Really fascinating event. Looking back, it's clear that at a busier time of day we would've needed to issue our first SQW, and there was some consideration put toward it as the event unfolded.

The last snow squall event of this magnitude I can recall, brief whiteouts and roads going to trash, was late January 2014 with an Arctic front. And multiple instances of thundersnow associated with a Clipper type system is rare, if I'm not missing any events, I think have to go back to December 2010 for that in the LOT CWA. Disappointed I missed out on personally experiencing impacts where I live, but glad others got to experience this unique event, and was cool to look back on again while putting together the event page.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In case you missed it, the PDF in Ricky’s link mentions an airline official at ORD reported 1” of accum in 10 minutes. 6”/hr rates are extraordinarily rare around here and are usually observed in areas with forced orographic lift or in Nor’easters where you have moisture transport off the Gulf Stream and strong frontogenesis. 

In this case it was more the forced ascent caused by that compact vort in an atmosphere w/ steep low-level lapse rates centered in the DGZ. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

As of midnight MSP was reporting 5.3” we should finish around 6” which is on the higher end of guidance. 

And it seems like so much work and attention for the Mon.-Tue system may yield similar results across LOT. You quietly keep racking up the totals.DAB here overnight

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McHenrySnow said:

0.25" here this morning, all falling from around 8 to 9 am. Wasn't expecting a big total, by any means, but the models had been ticking up all day yesterday. Dry air won out. 

Yeah, sucks. At one point it looked like a 2-3” snowfall.

Maybe a silver lining is that this precursor wave helped moisten the column for the upcoming storm. Devil’s advocate says that the models should already be accounting for this, yet they are still trending weaker. 

• Sad 1

Another burst of snow very early this morning boosted my wave 1 total to 2.6".  That is a nice total considering it had been crapping out on the models and even once it began the radar looked like a total dud.  Fortunately, the tail juiced up and passed over east-central IA.  My area ended up being the winner.

2 hours ago, MIstorm97 said:

Heavy snow here along 696. Fair amount of accidents today. Good rippage rn...probably will be better than Monday night :ee:

I posted in the January thread, lol I forgot this is the place to post that stuff now haha. We had 0.6" here. DTW 0.5". Snow came down heavy for a time in that narrow band. It hugged Detroits immediate northern suburbs. It seemed like for much of Southeast Michigan it was a general half inch snowfall give or take a few tenths but in that band including Detroit, Livonia, Novi, Royal Oak etc it appears 2-3" fell. Definitely more than forecast. I am assuming with the main event tomorrow night it will be similar in that bans may develop but good luck pinning down where ahead of time. how much did you end up with today?

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

I posted in the January thread, lol I forgot this is the place to post that stuff now haha. We had 0.6" here. DTW 0.5". Snow came down heavy for a time in that narrow band. It hugged Detroits immediate northern suburbs. It seemed like for much of Southeast Michigan it was a general half inch snowfall give or take a few tenths but in that band including Detroit, Livonia, Novi, Royal Oak etc it appears 2-3" fell. Definitely more than forecast. I am assuming with the main event tomorrow night it will be similar in that bans may develop but good luck pinning down where ahead of time. how much did you end up with today?

Picked up 2.8” of snow on the snow board. Nice overachiever today. There were even a few 3-4” reports where banding was the most persistent today. The snow was very fluffy, a rare sight this season. That band the hung on to the 96/696 corridor was ripping for a while. I’m now up to 8.1” this month and 18.9” this season. Feels like we’re cheating our way to a normal January. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MIstorm97 said:

Picked up 2.8” of snow on the snow board. Nice overachiever today. There were even a few 3-4” reports where banding was the most persistent today. The snow was very fluffy, a rare sight this season. That band the hung on to the 96/696 corridor was ripping for a while. I’m now up to 8.1” this month and 18.9” this season. Feels like we’re cheating our way to a normal January. 

I'm at 17.2" on the season but only 3.4" in January!

1 hour ago, WeatherMonger said:

Snow/flurries started here about 10 minutes ago.

If we can manage 1.4" it would be the biggest single day snow of the season. 

Pretty sad saying that on January 27th

as of Midnight PIA officially had 7.1 this season(exactly 50% to date after today is factored in ) and you 6.1

you could pass us up today