Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020/2021 Short Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

15 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Radar looks good for a period of light snow over most of LOT CWA tonight into tomorrow AM. We may manage 1” on grassy surfaces. It’ll be the first all snow event for the city of the season.

Could make an argument that this still isn't an all snow system.  It rained yesterday and it's associated with the same surface/upper low.

Flipped to light drizzle/rain with some wet flakes under the lighter returns through most of this afternoon and evening. 

Total slopfest imby. We definitely lost some snowpack and added about 3/4” of moisture to the 6-7” that remain. Crazy at one point blizzard warnings were only a county or two west of us. Never had much of any wind here.

Southern metro and points south did well. In fact there was nearly twice as much snowfall only 20 miles south of me. My prospective of this storm might have been completely different. Guess I’ll see tomorrow when I ski Welch Village which picked up 5”

4 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Picked up 0.1" of slushy snow earlier. It was a November or April like rain snow kitchen sink.  Narrow band of around 2" between Jackson and ann arbor but even that is rapidly melting. I'm at 15.0" on the season but 11.9" of that fell between November 30th and December 29th.

Weren't you touting how Nina's deliver snowy Decembers? Well..there it is.

• Haha 1

1.25" here a snowing lightly, with temps slightly above freezing and the sun being up, there won't be anymore accumulation. I'm pleased.
Are you right in the town of McHenry? We can send your report as an LSR once you have your final measurement.

Nice to have a mini event that performed exactly to expectations.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Weren't you touting how Nina's deliver snowy Decembers? Well..there it is.

lol. yes I was. and we quickly learned this is no normal nina. its not at all behaving how I expected. I expected extreme temp swings, instead its been stagnant with barely moving temps. I did say it would be not a great snowcover year due to the swings. but I didn't think it'd be like this.

Biggest surprise is i thought It would feature way above avg precip, I would have thought it was imminent. Through January it is well below avg. in fact as annoying as it has been, most of the precip we HAVE seen has been snow, very wet snow, and of course new years ice. We have actually seen very little plain rain since before Thanksgiving. 

I thought February was the big wildcard in a Nina but others said it was typically torch. Lucky for us, that appears to be unlikely too. really thinking February is our best month. Some of the recent cfs runs would give Feb 2015 a run for its money. of course the cfs is a joke overall but its interesting that its not defaulting to its usual warmth.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Everything melted haha

I still haven't had to shovel yet this winter.  My seasonal snowfall is closing in on 6" but the biggest system was just over 2" and what has fallen has tended to not stick around on paved surfaces too long.

• Sad 1