• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020/2021 Short Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

Started rip city here about 15 min ago... for 5 min.  Have half dollar raindrops mixing in now.  Also looks like I'm gonna get dry slotted by an 8th grade punk system.  Gonna lay my watermelon in some Easter hay and watch the rest of the new Zappa doc. (Highly recommended btw)  Let the Shakespearean Tragedy continue .:pimp:

2 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Report from Monticello IL of 8in, 6 from Argenta and Mt. Zion all within the last hour.  Friend 20 miles N of me said it started ripping about 15 min ago..  As a bitching note, all these websites moving to graphical phone friendly designs for their sites suck.

I have a friend in Monticello, I’ll confirm this report in the morning. I live 2 miles south of Champaign, and it absolutely ripped here. It’s stunning outside, the snow caked to the trees, can’t wait to take pics when the sun comes up. 

judging from window peeping I’d say we got 4-4.5”. A fresh snowfall, and sipping morning coffee is pure tranquility to me. 

2021 already proving to be a better year, with a extreme over performer!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Snownado said:

What happened to the snow in the Northern Indy suburbs ? I was expecting to wake up to a blanket of snow and there's nothing.

It performed as expected by many here, other than the last minute 50-75 mile north shift in Indiana.

18 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

I remember the days where we had to worry about nw trends but that hasnt been the case for awhile. Rap/nam have been consistent bringing the banding to about m-59. Dtx seems to think it'll stay at the border.

It's BAAACCCKK :(

29 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

It's BAAACCCKK :(

Hahaha yea it went a bit further nw but by then it weakened. Looks like it dropped 2-3 inches before moving nw of detroit. Nickle, diming, and dusting to the avg. Can't wait for Josh to turd polish our winter in april saying he grades this winter an A since we reached our average, not mentioning that we didnt have one 6 inch storm, and if we do, it'll take 24 hours to get those 6 inches.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hoosier said:

This system had overachiever written all over it as we were discussing in the January thread.  Just wasn't sure exactly where.

I hardly call getting no snow when 1-2" was forecast an overavhiever. Maybe an overachiever for some areas.

WHAT THE $%÷@$!?!?

I was not expecting to wake up to everything buried. I got roughly 5" here which is more than what I've gotten in the past two blizzard warnings and last winter storm warning combined :lol:. Finally broke the curse of Halloween 2019.

The heavy snow on top of the already weighted down trees from the previous ice/concrete snow has made the scenes outside UNREAL. I've never seen anything like it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Snownado said:

I've never seen a place get so much cold and so little snow as Central Indiana. Lots of cloudy, cold days but not much snow.

Welcome to the I70 psyche ward.  I say it every year.  Tracking winter systems through here will make ya nuts lol.  KIND is not exactly a snow magnet, averaging around 25 inches a year (That's 2in less than the national average).  You spread that out over 16-20 weeks and doesn't take to many of these pecker gnat systems to fill that up.   Heck I'm supposed to average about 30" 50 miles to the north, I've already got 8 and 5 of that was back in Nov.  And if it does lay down a blanket don't count on it sticking around long until we get into late January and February'  Both of those months are also notorious for subzero temps, howling winds and bare cornfields around here .  We've also been severely lacking in clippers lately.  I moved here 10 years ago and half my snow totals were a couple strong clipper trains.

Climo around here is a fickle lady in the winter.  There has been a bit of a snow drought of late I will admit. I don't think I've reached average snowfall in 5 years.  We just happen to be in a bittersweet spot for winter storm tracks where a 20 mile shift in the track can mean the difference in cold rain or 8" of snow. 

The rubberband is gonna snap at some point and will get 12 incher fly through here, we're definitely due.  Our best chances for snow are latter half of January into March anyway so our climo is just revving up.  I think we;ve got a better chance coming up than we have the past few winters anyway.  (insert glass half full):grinch:

KIND NWS Climo

45 minutes ago, fluoronium said:

WHAT THE $%÷@$!?!?

I was not expecting to wake up to everything buried. I got roughly 5" here which is more than what I've gotten in the past two blizzard warnings and last winter storm warning combined :lol:. Finally broke the curse of Halloween 2019.

The heavy snow on top of the already weighted down trees from the previous ice/concrete snow has made the scenes outside UNREAL. I've never seen anything like it. 

Congrats, I know you guys whiteknuckle winter just about as much as we do over hear lol.