Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

8 hours ago, BxEngine said:

PS that drive on 73 from the Northway into the mountains is scary during snowstorms. 

Yeah, I’ve never done it in a snowstorm but was thinking I would’ve rather been up there before the snow but they had a wedding in Lancaster Friday night which is why they went up when they did. He gave credit to his two years of driving around Oswego. 

So that icy map posted sort of rang true. It was probably one or two degrees too cold because the crunchy stuff only made it down to the road level (Rt 17) twice, when the road goes over 1500 feet. The icy areas forecasted on the map were but it was above the valleys. By taking 17 to 390 I was able to stay just south if the frozen precip and skirted it until we crossed I90 in Rochester. There's 1" of frozen garbage on the ground up here now.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Wantage NJ 8 S High Point NJ   Icy all surfaces... soft ice on asphalt but this will surprise some folks. 0.05" of freezing rain since it began around 10P.  31.1F here. Dewpoint about 30.  Thanks Walt Wed morning Dec 22 1246AM.

I checked on all the models: HRDPS complete miss,  the 00z/22 GFS complete miss this far northwest.  EC is a start. HRRR...a concern of mine recently in winter. TOOO warm and a miss. SPC HREF was terrible as well until finally catching on with the 00z/22 cycle- kind of late to the game, especially when compared to the RGEM previous cycles at least 24 hours ago. The RGEM and GGEM again best on lead time and current 00z/22 cycle. Walt 109AM/22

My only post today for our I84 corridor... what I expressed to my FB friends. 

Happy Christmas eve everyone,  All of our I84 corridor has a fresh covering of snow on the ground (1" seems to be common- at least here in nw NJ) with the snow ending in CT by 9A, and Boston area by 11A (it may not snow along the NH border of ne Massachusetts).

So where do we go from here? Little brief icing's or mixed wintry events for the I84 corridor the rest of December, but we may see somewhat larger snows in the first of half of Jan?????  

Anything outlooked wintry beyond a few days is subject to great error in this pattern.
Midnight tonight to 10A Christmas Day: A very brief period of ice is possible for the highest terrain of the Poconos-Catskills (above 1500 feet) before it turns to rain by dawn; while northern CT and MA should see a period of general light ice after 4A Christmas before it too changes to rain by 10A Christmas Day. The National Weather Service already has advisories posted in CT/MA northward. Follow updated forecasts from favorite sources and don't forget to leave some fuel for the reindeer.  611A/24

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Temps definitely under performing thus far as I was forecast to be above freezing hours ago, 30/27.

Upton mentioned the cooler side in their AFD, a section of that is posted further down. I traveled over Storm King mtn. today and there was a good accretion of ice over 1000’. There could be more added up there overnight.

NEAR TERM /UNTIL 7 AM SATURDAY MORNING/... With weak cold air damming, temps have fallen into the upper 20s to the S CT coast. With weak flow overnight ahead of warm front, concerns that temps may not be able to warm above freezing (particularly north of I-95) before onset of light rain late tonight. Have expanded Winter Weather Advisory southward to coastal CT zones for increasing potential of a period of light freezing rain late tonight through around daybreak Saturday. Similarly have added W Bergen and S Westchester based on temp trends, and earlier onset of rain. These areas should quickly rise above freezing after daybreak, if not before. Interior zones, remain under the earlier issued Winter Weather Advisory for the most efficient icing, with temps holding in the mid to upper 20s overnight, before rising above freezing early to mid-morning. Otherwise, forecast on track with a warm front associated with the next frontal system moves into the area tonight and brings with it a widespread area of light precipitation. Warm air aloft will prevent any of the precipitation from remaining frozen, however, sub-freezing surface temperatures for northern areas will allow for the likelihood of a period of light freezing rain tonight and into early Christmas morning. Total ice accumulations of a light glaze to a few hundredths of an inch are possible with highest amounts (locally 1/10th of an inch) likely in the northernmost zones. Any freezing rain becomes plain rain by early to mid morning.

• Like 1

Good Sunday morning everyone in our I84 corridor. It is Dec 26-the day after hopefully everyone appreciating that we started with a bit of a white Christmas before the afternoon-nighttime melting.

The next overall MINOR event is slated for Monday (27th) afternoon-night, especially the Poconos, northwest NJ as mainly some ice. It may begin as a snow-sleet mix sometime midday Monday or afternoon, and degrade to icing at night. Untreated surfaces should become icy along and north of I-80-especially at night, though I'm a little worried that the models could be overdoing the cold air with resultant marginal temps for icing. It's still quite mild as of this writing.

The mixed wintry precip should arrive in CT/MA late Monday or more likely Monday night but with timing uncertainty.

I added a graphic that shows the ensemble chances of icing - favoring PA/nw NJ/se NYS. The blues are chances above 50%--please check the legend for the chance near your area of interest.

Beyond next week--- modeling is repeatedly saying something sizable is coming to our I84 corridor Jan 2-3 and it may be wintry for a time, even down to Philly and Baltimore. May be a bit too early for a thread on Jan 2-3.

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 7.02.12 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, some of the modeling has  some sleet or even a snow-sleet mix for the I84 corridor tonight- don't think it will mean much except terrain above 1000 feet where a few slippery spots could develop during the night.  Catskills and Litchfield Hills might be pick up an inch if snow. I've nothing more exciting than that through Jan 2. 534A/28

• Like 1

Welcome to 2022 everyone along the broad hilly I84 corridor (40 miles N and S of I84)!

Thursday night-Friday (6th-7th): A snowstorm looks possible for the Adirondacks with rain to accumulative snow I84 corridor, especially Poconos. If you have travel plans you may want to monitor future forecasts. Track can still vary. Windy cold weather follows Friday into Saturday.

Added are two ensemble graphics: please reference the legend chances for your area of interest and click each for greater clarity. These ensembles tend to be conservative but try to show the axis of greatest concern with the gradient edges most uncertain. The first is the chance for more than 1" of snow Sunday night-Monday ( a miss of I84 except a few flurries). The second is the chance for 3" or more of snow late Thursday into Friday. Happy New Year everyone. 

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.43.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.38.42 AM.png

• Like 2