Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Start out in the mid-20s with heavy frost and patchy fog, warm up to 50 with full sun by early afternoon, rinse, repeat

The grass that was in the trees shadow remaining frosted as the rest of the frosted grass melted was pretty cool this morning. Someone with your talent could have made a decent photo out of it I’m guessing. 

• Like 1

I swapped out the tipping bucket with a tipping spoon on the VP2 this morning.  The buckets seem to need adjustment from time to time for some reason but when I had the spoon in the Vantage Vue I had zero issues and never had to adjust anything. I also decided to pulled apart the radiation shield and give that a good cleaning…it’s amazing how many different spots spiders will nest in a weather station…

• Like 1

23 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The grass that was in the trees shadow remaining frosted as the rest of the frosted grass melted was pretty cool this morning. Someone with your talent could have made a decent photo out of it I’m guessing. 

Aye, lots of interesting patterns with this prolific frost lately. I like the bare patches in my yard just under the canopies of trees that still have their leaves. Presumably they're acting like a blanket to prevent radiation? 

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I swapped out the tipping bucket with a tipping spoon on the VP2 this morning.  The buckets seem to need adjustment from time to time for some reason but when I had the spoon in the Vantage Vue I had zero issues and never had to adjust anything. I also decided to pulled apart the radiation shield and give that a good cleaning…it’s amazing how many different spots spiders will nest in a weather station…

Big spoon or little spoon? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Aye, lots of interesting patterns with this prolific frost lately. I like the bare patches in my yard just under the canopies of trees that still have their leaves. Presumably they're acting like a blanket to prevent radiation? 

Big spoon or little spoon? 

the leaves are definitely acting like a blanket.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/products/vantage-pro2-tipping-spoon-replacement-kit

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I guess I’m lucky never to have any issues with the tipping bucket. There were some events where the precip totals varied in this region and my numbers were in accordance of others in those instances.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I guess I’m lucky never to have any issues with the tipping bucket. There were some events where the precip totals varied in this region and my numbers were in accordance of others in those instances.

It wasn’t wildly off in comparison to the Stratus but you know how I am with my measurements LOL. The silver coating in one of the buckets started to wear off so that prompted the change more than anything. I had to adjust the buckets in my old Weather Monitor too but never the spoon in the Vantage Vue so we’ll see how the spoon does now. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

@JuliancoltonHow did you make out yesterday?  I see NWS Albany confirmed an EF1 on Friday in your neck of the woods. 

That really caught me by surprise when I saw the survey results. I wish I had some good velocity scans from around the time when it occurred... I knew it was a potent squall line, just had no reason at all to suspect tornadic activity. No big disruptions at home thankfully but that's definitely a close shave.

• Like 1