Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

Just now, Juliancolton said:

It brings me no joy to say this, but

:weenie:

I know I know but I deserved it but I said it knowing I would deserve it LOL

I've been freezing my ass off and had the space heater in my bedroom on since last night.

I have two of them, but I plugged in the wrong one first (the one which has green gook oozing out of the wire-- no idea what that stuff is, but I also saw that green gook in the outlet it was plugged into)- as soon as I turned that one on there was  a loud crackling noise like firecrackers and I saw a bright spark near the plug, so I unplugged that one right away and won't use it anymore (of course lol).  The other one works fine even though I saw a little smoke coming out of it in the beginning but after awhile that went away and it ran fine for the rest of the night and was on until this morning.  I thought the sun would be out all day so I turned it off at 10 but then the clouds and wind came which I did not expect.  I guess it needs to be cleaned from nonuse over the summer? I think that's why there was a little smoke and a slight burning smell when I first turned it on.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I know I know but I deserved it but I said it knowing I would deserve it LOL

I've been freezing my ass off and had the space heater in my bedroom on since last night.

I have two of them, but I plugged in the wrong one first (the one which has green gook oozing out of the wire-- no idea what that stuff is, but I also saw that green gook in the outlet it was plugged into)- as soon as I turned that one on there was  a loud crackling noise like firecrackers and I saw a bright spark near the plug, so I unplugged that one right away and won't use it anymore (of course lol).  The other one works fine even though I saw a little smoke coming out of it in the beginning but after awhile that went away and it ran fine for the rest of the night and was on until this morning.  I thought the sun would be out all day so I turned it off at 10 but then the clouds and wind came which I did not expect.  I guess it needs to be cleaned from nonuse over the summer? I think that's why there was a little smoke and a slight burning smell when I first turned it on.

Hey Liberty, that is seriously not good. These inexpensive heaters are a huge risk for fires.

My recommendation is switch to one of the Intertherm heaters, they are decent quality and, most important, have no red hot elements. (Looking for them on Amazon, it seems they are replaced (renamed) as Farenheit. Not sure they are the same.)

The concept is that the heating element is sealed in a non flammable silicon oil, which heats the room by convection. It looks like a baseboard heater, so very unobtrusive. I use a couple and have had them for maybe 20 years, so they last pretty well. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, etudiant said:

Hey Liberty, that is seriously not good. These inexpensive heaters are a huge risk for fires.

My recommendation is switch to one of the Intertherm heaters, they are decent quality and, most important, have no red hot elements. (Looking for them on Amazon, it seems they are replaced (renamed) as Farenheit. Not sure they are the same.)

The concept is that the heating element is sealed in a non flammable silicon oil, which heats the room by convection. It looks like a baseboard heater, so very unobtrusive. I use a couple and have had them for maybe 20 years, so they last pretty well. 

Thanks, I've been looking to replace these Lasko Heaters!  By the way, what is this green fluid that leaks from the cord and I see it on the outlet too? I've never seen this stuff before.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks, I've been looking to replace these Lasko Heaters!  By the way, what is this green fluid that leaks from the cord and I see it on the outlet too? I've never seen this stuff before.

Never heard of that before. Doesn’t sound good tho. Maybe call the manufacturer to find out if it’s a safety issue. I wouldn’t use it till you get some information from them. 

14 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Never heard of that before. Doesn’t sound good tho. Maybe call the manufacturer to find out if it’s a safety issue. I wouldn’t use it till you get some information from them. 

Yeah especially after seeing that sparking and hearing popping noises I dont think I'm using that one anymore.

I used the other one for a bit because it was only smoking in the beginning (I think dust is trapped in it which also caused the slight burning smell), but that went away after a few minutes, but I will get the one that was recommended and I just shut that one down for the night.  My bedroom is warm enough now anyway (I had it on from 3 to 8 PM)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Down to 36.9, quite a bit calmer than forecast and radiating well. I have to wonder if the growing season is in its final hours. 

Not here :(. We clouded up a little at some point, only got down to 43. Still a thin layer of clouds now. 

• Like 1

Legoland has Davis online and is 7 miles due south of me approx 100' higher in elevation,  their station is at approx 480'.  Yesterday my low was 48 and the low there was 58.  This morning I got down to 46 while Legoland had a low of 48.  Interesting stuff for weather nerds.  Carry on. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Legoland has Davis online and is 7 miles due south of me approx 100' higher in elevation,  their station is at approx 480'.  Yesterday my low was 48 and the low there was 58.  This morning I got down to 46 while Legoland had a low of 48.  Interesting stuff for weather nerds.  Carry on. 

I can't believe being 7 miles closer to the equator makes them that much warmer, crazy stuff

• Haha 4

Im not a fan of hyperbole/anecdotes when it comes to this stuff, but we spent last night with my kids showing them pics from my childhood. Luckily my mom kept thousands of pics mostly sorted. 

The amount of years that we already had raked leaf piles at the edge of lawns in Halloween pics vs what it looks like right now is depressing. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Im not a fan of hyperbole/anecdotes when it comes to this stuff, but we spent last night with my kids showing them pics from my childhood. Luckily my mom kept thousands of pics mostly sorted. 

The amount of years that we already had raked leaf piles at the edge of lawns in Halloween pics vs what it looks like right now is depressing. 

What’s odd here is many leaves dropped early, I’m mostly done in my yard. It’s very odd, photos later this morning. 

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Top photo is this date in 2015 and the bottom photo is this morning. You can see how many leaves have dropped and the ones remaining are still mostly green. BLAH!

5A82E9E0-DCB9-4E0E-B3F9-C1DBE2C2846D.jpeg

DB35F72D-853D-468A-B2ED-EEE4EA59862D.jpeg

Good morning Irish. Only the flag salvages the current photo. As always …

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good morning Irish. Only the flag salvages the current photo. As always …

Good morning!  My eldest son is currently attending Notre Dame for his MBA.  His girlfriend was there this weekend and my youngest son and his fiancé flew into South Bend for the game last night, the four of them had a great time. They wound up on the Jumbotron last night at one point and my youngest was part of the mass of men who held my eldest up in the air so he could do push-ups after one of ND’s touchdowns, a tradition at many college stadiums. My eldest is 6’2”, maybe 6’3”, and over 250…I wonder how my youngest os feeling this morning for more than one reason…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Good morning!  My eldest son is currently attending Notre Dame for his MBA.  His girlfriend was there this weekend and my youngest son and his fiancé flew into South Bend for the game last night, the four of them had a great time. They wound up on the Jumbotron last night at one point and my youngest was part of the mass of men who held my eldest up in the air so he could do push-ups after one of ND’s touchdowns, a tradition at many college stadiums. My eldest is 6’2”, maybe 6’3”, and over 250…I wonder how my youngest os feeling this morning for more than one reason…

6’2/3” 250+ MBA candidate. Blessed family. Well done.  A video of that would have been fantastic. Now I just have to figure out how to stop humming the fight song. As always ….

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rclab said:

6’2/3” 250+ MBA candidate. Blessed family. Well done.  A video of that would have been fantastic. Now I just have to figure out how to stop humming the fight song. As always ….

Oh I have a small video but can’t share, here’s a screen shot of the two of them

0322B8AC-76D3-414B-91FE-F072381E9BCC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Hey theres a craft beer festival in thomas bull today? Why wasnt i notified of this.?

And it’s packed. Thought about going but the Octoberfest the same company had last month was a scam. I decided to just drink Spaten on my deck this afternoon and have no line to my beer fridge. You are welcome to stop by and take advantage of the heat my impulse buy from a couple of weeks ago provides…

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

1.65 with a bit of wind but nothing (so far) that should cause too much damage. 

I can’t imagine wind will be particularly notable for most folks inland n/w of the city. Closer to you there could be some wind later on but where I’m at I don’t expect winds to gust past 30-40