• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

5.92" storm total here. Plenty of flooding in the usual spots and even in some not so usual ones. Not as severe right on my street as early July, but more widespread throughout the town, county, and, obviously, beyond. I didn't take many pictures but still had to capture this scene of pickups seeking higher ground

LLaZrBp.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, snywx said:

The walkill flows S to N right? It may not crest for another day or so 

Correct, flow is south to north which many do not realize.  Based on the gauge near ORMC it looks to crest soon https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv/?site_no=01370520&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,62614,72020,00062,00010,99904,99905

The gauge at Gardiner is showing a crest today as well https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=okx&gage=grdn6

One thing that I did notice after Irene and Lee was that the Gardiner gauge was below flood stage while much of Orange County was still dealing with flooding for days/weeks afterwards.  I always guessed that was due to the dams in Montgomery and Walden but don't know that for sure.  So while the crest happens today it'll be interesting to see how long it takes to drop overall.  The gauge near ORMC was not there back then.  

Capture 9-2-21.JPG

Capture 9-2-21-2.JPG

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Correct, flow is south to north which many do not realize.  Based on the gauge near ORMC it looks to crest soon https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ny/nwis/uv/?site_no=01370520&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,62614,72020,00062,00010,99904,99905

The gauge at Gardiner is showing a crest today as well https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=okx&gage=grdn6

One thing that I did notice after Irene and Lee was that the Gardiner gauge was below flood stage while much of Orange County was still dealing with flooding for days/weeks afterwards.  I always guessed that was due to the dams in Montgomery and Walden but don't know that for sure.  So while the crest happens today it'll be interesting to see how long it takes to drop overall.  The gauge near ORMC was not there back then.  

Capture 9-2-21.JPG

Capture 9-2-21-2.JPG

Interesting info.. I do remember the moodna & walkill taking a week or so to crest after Irene. 

Driving around Dutchess this morning. Freedom Lake and Skidmore area is in rough shape again. Redwing is across velie and Pages near 55 there is a lake of standing water. Area near the Overlook drive in is also flooded badly. Bad flooding with Probably 5-6” rain in Dutchess after a wet summer. Can’t imagine what the 10-12” in a few hours did down in parts of NJ and the City. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Worst since Floyd around here easily. Only thing that came close was heavy rains in 03. 

Difference with Floyd was that came at the tail end of a major drought and super hot summer in 1999.  This is the third major event of the summer.

Although the damage with Floyd was horrible too, I remember seeing water rescues for people who had to climb up to their roofs to get away from the rising waters.

43 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Difference with Floyd was that came at the tail end of a major drought and super hot summer in 1999.  This is the third major event of the summer.

Although the damage with Floyd was horrible too, I remember seeing water rescues for people who had to climb up to their roofs to get away from the rising waters.

Im only comparing the outcomes. The difference in the weather weeks before doesnt alter their rankings in the amount of damage done lol

• Like 3

7 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Here’s the Boat Launch on the Wallkill near my house. First is a little after 4pm yesterday and the second is a little before 8am this morning.

7204CEC1-EA79-4491-AD7C-0803E3038AB9.jpeg

16EEED46-3939-42D2-89B5-859E9E169AA9.jpeg

It’s higher here than this morning, you can tell by the fence posts. We’ll see how it looks in the morning. 

03B9E050-8F6F-4A35-9635-9F66F908C55E.jpeg

• Like 2

we don't seem to have much, if any, damage locally.  I guess there's a big difference between getting 5" of rain and 8-10"of rain.  also we didnt have any massive downpours like 2-3"/hour rates.  Even at the height of the storm last night, I think it maxed out at like .75"/hour.

I tried to get to my office in the bronx this morning and it was relatively smooth sailing until I got to the westchester bronx border.  freaking disaster there.  Had to turn around and come back north.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

Im only comparing the outcomes. The difference in the weather weeks before doesnt alter their rankings in the amount of damage done lol

Just in terms of flooding, one would think how wet and saturated the ground is beforehand and how high the river levels were before the event would tell us what kind of an event we need for major flooding.  But for top end extreme events like this one and Floyd it probably wouldn't matter they would be devastating either way.

54 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

From what I've seen, this was still a couple notches below Tax Day '07 and October '05 in Dutchess, but above Irene. Floyd seemed to impact a lot of different areas that have probably been built up or improved since then. 

I was only a kid in October 2005 but I agree. My friend lived in the house across from the overlook drive in back then and his property was flooded even worse then compared to today. I think there were two back to back 8” rainfalls in Dutchess that month?

1 hour ago, LaGrangewx said:

I was only a kid in October 2005 but I agree. My friend lived in the house across from the overlook drive in back then and his property was flooded even worse then compared to today. I think there were two back to back 8” rainfalls in Dutchess that month?

I don’t have access to my records right now but I believe there were multiple big events that month here in Orange so likely over there too. I’ll check in the morning. 

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

From what I've seen, this was still a couple notches below Tax Day '07 and October '05 in Dutchess, but above Irene. Floyd seemed to impact a lot of different areas that have probably been built up or improved since then. 

Forgot about april of 07. That was the breaking point for a lot of the streams and culverts around here, that finally convinced local people that floyd wasnt a once in a lifetime flooding event. The spots that flooded in floyd and 03/07 faired much better this time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Forgot about april of 07. That was the breaking point for a lot of the streams and culverts around here, that finally convinced local people that floyd wasnt a once in a lifetime flooding event. The spots that flooded in floyd and 03/07 faired much better this time. 

My area faired better yesterday than 07 too

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

April 2007 was ranked second in NYC behind Sept 1882.  We never seem to be able to top that 24 hr record from Sept 1882 no matter how frequent these extreme events seem to be getting. Oh well, maybe next time?

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I don’t have access to my records right now but I believe there were multiple big events that month here in Orange so likely over there too. I’ll check in the morning. 

Yep October 2005 events were stretched out over a few weeks.  We almost beat the September 1882 monthly record (did on LI where up to 2 feet of rainfall happened), the monthly record was eventually set in August 2011....don't forget about the big rainfall event that month prior to Irene.  That maxed out here (10" in 12 hours), also I don't know how your area did in August 2014 when Islip got the state record with 14" in less than 3 hours.

18 hours ago, BxEngine said:

We pulled a guy out of his car on a road that in 07 woulda been probably 2-3’ higher than his roof. One of the few success stories around here with stream and culvert fixes. 

4/16/07 I have 5.68" of rain and a note on major flooding through out the region.  I know that there was water on NYS 416 for that one.

20 hours ago, LaGrangewx said:

So my records we not as detailed back in 2005 but I did record 14.81" in the first two weeks of October and have noted the following:

10/7-10/8: 8.51"

10/12-10/13: 4.66"

10/14: 1.64"

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Capture 9-2-21.JPG

Capture 9-2-21-2.JPG

I feel like Liberty Bell this morning just firing of all kinds of individual posts, LOL., but I digress.  Now this may come as surprise to some but I'm not a hydrologist, nor do I play one on TV, but here are this mornings screen grabs of the gauge in Middletown, which is up stream from and the one at Gardiner.  You can see the Gardiner gauge has dropped more than the one upstream in Middletown so I have to wonder if the dams I mentioned in between them is the reason why.

Capture 9-3-21.JPG

Capture 9-3-21-2.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Just in terms of flooding, one would think how wet and saturated the ground is beforehand and how high the river levels were before the event would tell us what kind of an event we need for major flooding.  But for top end extreme events like this one and Floyd it probably wouldn't matter they would be devastating either way.

One thing about the 14+ inches from Floyd was it fell on rock hard, parched ground and it ran off hard and fast. The runoff did the most damage and most of that was in natural rather than built up areas. Large swaths of hillsides were denuded and small creeks turned into raging torrents 10+ feet deep permanently altering watercourses. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1