• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

The maple in front has been dropping slowly for 2 weeks and is starting to show some color, the pos chokecherry in the back is dumping blighted leaves into the garden for a month and the sheer volume of berries coming down is insane. It's easily 2-3" deep under the tree and that's after thousands, millions?!, are rotting and drawing tons of wasps. 

On 8/26/2021 at 5:58 PM, IrishRob17 said:

I think today was worse for me as I decided to get into an insulated jumpsuit and start chopping down the mile-a-minute that has taken off in the phragmites…I such a dumbass

Sorry I missed this gem, Irish. I noticed Julian didn’t. I may just hunt down one of those insulated jumpsuits. It would offer protection, if some parts of me decide to come back to life. As always ….

36 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

The maple in front has been dropping slowly for 2 weeks and is starting to show some color, the pos chokecherry in the back is dumping blighted leaves into the garden for a month and the sheer volume of berries coming down is insane. It's easily 2-3" deep under the tree and that's after thousands, millions?!, are rotting and drawing tons of wasps. 

Good morning gl. Your post inspired me, as follows: At dusk the skulking figure crept slowly over the thick layered ground. The buzzing began as he observed the target residence. Within seconds the cloud rose and surrounded him. His scream was cut off as his mouth offered another entrance for the insects. The next day the owner noticed the carpet of berries had grown considerably. They were still dropping at quite a clip and the wasps seemed to be busy making a new home right in their midst. With the loud buzzing fading the owner walked slowly back to his home silently praying for an early winter. As always …

• Thanks 1

Yup.

I'm getting worried that they're going to start making a home in the ground or somewhere less than obvious and I won't see it until it's too late. 

Three and a half day away with not maintenance and the garden took a beating. Mildew completely took over all 8 melon vines and the weight of tomatoes brought most of those plants down but where they aren't overrun with blight they're still flowering and producing nicely while existing fruit is still ripening slowly. Peppers are doing nicely but the beans are done.

Looks like plenty more rain incoming.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

There's really no "moderate" anymore, is there? Go big or go home. Precip amounts, dewpoints, snow by the foot... Howzabout we get a quarter inch of rain here and there, maybe 4-6" of snow, maybe a hot week where it gets to 87 once or twice rather than 96. Geez :rolleyes:

Agreed but I think many like it this way.   This kinda relates to how people like their snowfalls, say you get 48" in a season, many will say give me 2 24" storms and call it a season.  I'd prefer many more smaller events spread out over the winter.   

What a disaster the main thread is. Terrible.

Anyway... beyond the obvious issues, it's worth keeping an eye on winds late this evening. Rather potent low- to mid-level jet with 50kt+ flow not too far off the ground. We're lucky to have a deep stable layer to keep those winds aloft most of the time, but I'm sure it'll get breezy in the heaviest downpours. Some of the algorithms do show a period of 50-60 mph gusts. While one can safely discount those numbers, even a few 30 mph gusts would probably become problematic after several inches of rain.

PbCJ8VH.png

3zxtWyu.png

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

What a disaster the main thread is. Terrible.

Anyway... beyond the obvious issues, it's worth keeping an eye on winds late this evening. Rather potent low- to mid-level jet with 50kt+ flow not too far off the ground. We're lucky to have a deep stable layer to keep those winds aloft most of the time, but I'm sure it'll get breezy in the heaviest downpours. Some of the algorithms do show a period of 50-60 mph gusts. While one can safely discount those numbers, even a few 30 mph gusts would probably become problematic after several inches of rain.

PbCJ8VH.png

3zxtWyu.png

Thank you. The discussion currently is (more) about rainfall amounts. Which of course is important. More important to some of us than others! But I have been wondering about the potential for wind to be a problem as well.

• Like 1