Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

7 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Flooding - check

Tornado warned - check

1.5" so far, gutters overflowed, street was a river that completely overwhelmed the storm drains and ran over into the downhill side yards. I'm afraid to look at the garden...

So how did the garden fare? We're all now invested in its health.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, etudiant said:

So how did the garden fare? We're all now invested in its health.

Ahh, thanx for asking ;) I spent an hour or so staking and tying the tomato plants up a little better because a bunch of them had flopped over. I should know if the kinks in the stems and stalks affect things but as of now they look pretty good. I did manage to pull a half dozen nice ones today so that's good. The peppers are mostly ok but one shed all of it's blooms and the small peppers that had already set :( I think the melons are in love with all the water and the warmth, the bees are totally enjoying it! Strawberries are happy (and tasty) and the raspberries set another whole round of berries :) 

Looks like I hit 2", highest total in a few months. 

6 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Ahh, thanx for asking ;) I spent an hour or so staking and tying the tomato plants up a little better because a bunch of them had flopped over. I should know if the kinks in the stems and stalks affect things but as of now they look pretty good. I did manage to pull a half dozen nice ones today so that's good. The peppers are mostly ok but one shed all of it's blooms and the small peppers that had already set :( I think the melons are in love with all the water and the warmth, the bees are totally enjoying it! Strawberries are happy (and tasty) and the raspberries set another whole round of berries :) 

Looks like I hit 2", highest total in a few months. 

Amazed the raccoons have not found your garden yet.

They were on the case in short order when I was gardening in CT. Early ripeness evaluators for corn, berries and tomatoes. Not so much for asparagus.

6 hours ago, etudiant said:

Amazed the raccoons have not found your garden yet.

They were on the case in short order when I was gardening in CT. Early ripeness evaluators for corn, berries and tomatoes. Not so much for asparagus.

My dog keeps every other animal far away from her magical bush that grows treats for her (or so she seems to believe). 

we’ve also had families of groundhogs living under our shed for decades. The adults hear us in the house and run away, but occasionally a baby will get caught outside and my dog will just stand on their heads until they get the message….anyway, im pretty sure they keep other pests away too which is kinda weird.

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The 12z Euro is Diane/Floyd/Irene levels of hydrological mayhem. Only limiting factor as outlined by Albany's AFD would be weak baroclinic forcing, but there's more than enough slow-moving convection here to make an almighty mess. Hopefully not.

ecmhv.thumb.png.36b23db40687d2b5eeb5218f1a7bbcf7.png

Recent euro run was spitting out about a foot of rain in the Catskills area.  Definitely a catastrophic flooding possibility. Plus recent rains from Fred’s passing thru has the ground loaded with moisture already. :(

These Floyd references being thrown around are disturbing. I've seen some heavy duty rain, 11" in an afternoon in Cordova AK was pretty intense but, Floyd was 14+ in just a few hours. I don't need to see that again. Irene devastated the Catskills and you can still see the scars in VT. We don't need any of that either. 

Guess I need to go fill some gas cans in the morning, this is looking like a power going out kind of storm. Yay. 

• Like 1

Just back from VT and a few days in Quebec City.  Guess I’ll be checking the gutters later this morning.  Iirc models r not great at pinpointing the areas of heavy precipitation with these tropical systems.

fwiw-I was up in the mrv for Irene and that was bat shit crazy.

question- haven’t seen any mention of pre with this system.  Why is that?

SHORT TERM /6 PM THIS EVENING THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/... Henri will track northwest into southern New England Sunday into Sunday night, shifting the heavy rain into southwest Connecticut and the Lower Hudson Valley during through Monday. A widespread rainfall of 5 to 10 inches is possible as Henri losses forward speed as it begins to be absorbed into the upper level trough. Upper level southerly jet extending south of the region into the Atlantic will help provide a tropical rich moisture source with layer precipitable waters remaining near 2 inches tonight into early Monday. The flood watch for the entire region has been extended in time until 8 PM EDT Monday night to cover the lingering rainfall into Monday as well as residual runoff and river flooding anticipated. The day 2 outlook for WPC has the area in a slight risk for excessive rainfall. The potential is there for long fused minor river flooding for down stream rivers such as the Passaic, Saddle, and Housatonic Rivers. This situation will have to be monitored throughout the day Monday for updates as much is dependent on the exact location of heaviest rainfall.