Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

3 hours ago, BxEngine said:

My dog will be upset if there arent fresh cucumbers and tomatoes to steal for the next week. 

Good afternoon Bx. At least your companion steals healthy. There would be nothing to eat in my barren postage stamp, then again he could make a meal out of my daughters pugs. As always ….

22 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

47.5F this morning should slow down the gardens for a few days

Is that what stunted the melon vine growth? They were going gangbusters gaining up to a foot a day and completely stopped yesterday. In two days cabbage worms just about devastated the brassiccas that survived the early season onslaught. I'm going to have to pull all of it and bag it. Sad :(

18 hours ago, rclab said:

Good afternoon Bx. At least your companion steals healthy. There would be nothing to eat in my barren postage stamp, then again he could make a meal out of my daughters pugs. As always ….

We’ve experimented numerous times. This seems to be her hierarchy:

1) bananas. She will choose these first, every time, without fail.

2)apples

3) any other fruit

4) salmon

5)steak

6) her own poop

7)most veggies 

8)wet dog food

9) dry dog food

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

2)apples

3) any other fruit

4) salmon

5)steak

6) her own poop

7)most veggies 

8)wet dog food

9) dry dog food

Hopefully she doesn’t come and lick you after eating #6 all the others are good.:whistle:

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I don’t recall dogs eating fruit/veggies when I was a kid but it seems rather popular these days. Is it possible I was even more clueless as a kid than now?

Good afternoon Irish. Your far from clueless. I remember 70 years ago,  if there was limited meat to be had it was for my father. My sister and I were filled with vegetables and pasta starches. If your family was having chicken on Sunday, you had bragging rights. The dog was given any available leftovers. I still remember my dog eating spaghetti. Today that would have been viral material. We all did very well. I still have to finish everything given to me on my plate. The stigma of wasting food never left me. As always ….

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good afternoon Irish. Your far from clueless. I remember 70 years ago,  if there was limited meat to be had it was for my father. My sister and I were filled with vegetables and pasta starches. If your family was having chicken on Sunday, you had bragging rights. The dog was given any available leftovers. I still remember my dog eating spaghetti. Today that would have been viral material. We all did very well. I still have to finish everything given to me on my plate. The stigma of wasting food never left me. As always ….

Amen to that!

Wasting is a sin, although I'm not sure Fluffy ever considered that aspect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I don’t recall dogs eating fruit/veggies when I was a kid but it seems rather popular these days. Is it possible I was even more clueless as a kid than now?

The dog we had when i was a kid definitely didnt eat fruits and veggies. Maybe the occasional apple but she was more picky than most kids are. Our dog now is just…different. Lol

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

2)apples

3) any other fruit

4) salmon

5)steak

6) her own poop

7)most veggies 

8)wet dog food

9) dry dog food

Nowadays it seems #6 is well sampled. As always …

29 minutes ago, rclab said:

My brother and I were just talking about that the other day, how we always had to clear our plates as there were “kids starving in China”… Having that mentality drilled into our heads hasn’t helped our adult eating habits as we still feel compelled to clear the plate.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Bananas have always been the clear favorite food of my toy poodle mix as well. Back when she could still hear (or see), she'd come running if you even mentioned the word banana.

My grandfather used to tell stories of his dogs stealing only the biggest and plumpest tomatoes out of the garden, so that's been a thing at least going back to the 50s in some households

Stellar day. Tonight looks dry and clear, perfect for some celestial viewing. I know Saturn is in Capricorn in the southern sky somewhere and Jupiter is a few degrees up and to the east. What's up with the meteor shower(s)? Perseids should be building but what about that other one from last week, is it still happening too?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Stellar day. Tonight looks dry and clear, perfect for some celestial viewing. I know Saturn is in Capricorn in the southern sky somewhere and Jupiter is a few degrees up and to the east. What's up with the meteor shower(s)? Perseids should be building but what about that other one from last week, is it still happening too?

Moon is going to be in a good phase for the Perseids (sets before midnight) I just hope the weather cooperates.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2021 at 10:12 AM, Juliancolton said:

I can't remember the last time the Perseids didn't disappoint. Give me 20 ZHR Leonids over 120 ZHR Perseids any day.

last year was really good!  I saw meteors of many different colors in the Poconos and some seemed close to the ground as they changed color!  I was only out for an hour each night, between 11 and midnight.

Peak is August 12-13 so there's time yet!  And the moon is in a good phase too (sets before midnight.)

What camera settings do you use for the Perseids?  Timelapse mode?

13 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

What camera settings do you use for the Perseids?  Timelapse mode?

Depends a lot on moon phase and ambient brightness from light pollution, but I usually start around f/2.8 and ISO 5000 for 20 seconds and just keep shooting continuously until the lens gets soaked in dew. If it's a more urban environment, you'd still want to keep ISO and aperture very fast but reduce your exposure time. Expose for the meteors. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Depends a lot on moon phase and ambient brightness from light pollution, but I usually start around f/2.8 and ISO 5000 for 20 seconds and just keep shooting continuously until the lens gets soaked in dew. If it's a more urban environment, you'd still want to keep ISO and aperture very fast but reduce your exposure time. Expose for the meteors. 

soaked in dew sounds like it could damage something.  I use a dew heater for eyepieces that also works for lenses.  One of them fits nicely over a 60mm wide lens.

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I mean, they definitely are. Civil twilight begins 35 minutes earlier than it did in late June... that's getting pretty hard for even the most absent-minded among us to avoid noticing.

Evening Julian. And here I thought it was the late shade from the damned oak tree. The way things are going in Brooklyn ‘Civii Twilight’ is a thing of the past.  As always ….

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 4:27 PM, Juliancolton said:

I mean, they definitely are. Civil twilight begins 35 minutes earlier than it did in late June... that's getting pretty hard for even the most absent-minded among us to avoid noticing.

oh you're another one that uses that sun/moon site lol.  I find that first light always seems to be about an hour before sunrise and last light is almost always an hour after sunset.  We have astronomical, nautical and civil twilight and the middle one is what best corresponds to what I experience.