Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

On 7/17/2021 at 10:49 PM, Juliancolton said:

6" according to the PWS, I'll check the Stratus in the morning. It seems that my pond completely breached... front yard is under 3' of rushing water which continues down the road for about 1/4 mile. You could see numerous fish getting swept away, rather sadly. 

Was so sad to hear about your fish.  I've talked to some people about this issue and was told the best thing to do is to have a net over the pond (keeps the predators away from the fish too.)  You'll still flood but the fish will be kept inside the pond by the net.  I was also told there should be a way to drain the pond so that the water flows downstream into another pond or receptacle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yuck. The air has a yellow tinge to it this morning. I can't imagine living in a place with terrible air quality like this, places in China and India come to mind. Looks like the next few days are gonna be pretty nice though.

The smoke yesterday was something else, definitely looking forward to the next few days. @Juliancoltonhows your neck of the woods with the cleanup?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

The smoke yesterday was something else, definitely looking forward to the next few days. @Juliancoltonhows your neck of the woods with the cleanup?

Thanks for asking. I've cleared just about all the muck and debris, and got lucky that there was no damage to the fence or driveway. Many others in town definitely experienced more long-lasting effects.

Only remaining issue imby is the washout in front. A whole bunch of riprap got dislodged and deposited in part of my lawn farther down, so I have no idea what to do about that. I wish I could find one of these things big enough to gather 1-2lb chunks of bluestone.

ifSNtu1.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Thanks for asking. I've cleared just about all the muck and debris, and got lucky that there was no damage to the fence or driveway. Many others in town definitely experienced more long-lasting effects.

Only remaining issue imby is the washout in front. A whole bunch of riprap got dislodged and deposited in part of my lawn farther down, so I have no idea what to do about that. I wish I could find one of these things big enough to gather 1-2lb chunks of bluestone.

ifSNtu1.jpg

Good afternoon, Julian. Whatever those things are, I hope they don’t turn into Triffids. As always ….

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Did you say “chocolate tomatoes”?  Never heard of those. 

https://www.gurneys.com/product/chocolate-sprinkles

first tomatoes ive ever eaten plain. Im not a huge tomato fan, ill eat them in/on stuff but never by themselves. But we’ve grown chocolate cherries or chocolate sprinkle cherries the last few years and have had a lot of success with them. Theyre great blistered on fresh fish too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BxEngine said:

https://www.gurneys.com/product/chocolate-sprinkles

first tomatoes ive ever eaten plain. Im not a huge tomato fan, ill eat them in/on stuff but never by themselves. But we’ve grown chocolate cherries or chocolate sprinkle cherries the last few years and have had a lot of success with them. Theyre great blistered on fresh fish too. 

Kinda looks like the Black Prince tomato, which is one that I’ve grown before.  The wife has a black cherry tomato this year but we are still waiting as that was the one plant that was attacked twice by something, we think a bird. 

Looks like I did go below 60 but only a half degree below. It's still 65 which is nice. I watered some of the garden this morning for the first time in a while, it probably didn't need it but I had to get the fertilizer in. A bunch of plants were weakening and I think it was because all that rain washed the good stuff in the soil down or diluted it and the plants were struggling.

17 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Dare ya to go into the main pattern thread and post that summer's back is broken.

56F was the low here

Yeah, no.  The back ain't broken, or do I consider this "a shot across the bow".  Do people call the January thaw a shot across the bow?  I have no idea...on this as well as many, many other subjects. 

• Haha 1

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, no.  The back ain't broken, or do I consider this "a shot across the bow".  Do people call the January thaw a shot across the bow?  I have no idea...on this as well as many, many other subjects. 

I was thinking yesterday that all the rain this summer will probably delay the usual mid-August flashes of color from sickly maples in ditches. Tremendous blow to my running narration.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I found a shell today and a live one two days ago. The live one was hanging out with some Japanese Beetles on my blackberry bush so I drowned them all. 

Good morning gravity. I like to keep my ear to the ground. Not hard since I’m short. I heard some chittering when I was strolling within the postage stamp. It sounded like … “Beware, ‘I Am Legend’ g is up north”. Our forum membership is more diverse than first thought. As always ….