Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

13 hours ago, etudiant said:

Not a real gardener, but I'd thought that raised beds were developed just for these kind of conditions.

Admittedly, not that easy to put up raised beds and there are probably downsides I don't know about.

I think the biggest downside to raised beds is that they're among the quickest paths to spending $1000 for $17 worth of potatoes. Otherwise, they'd definitely be a big help with drainage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, for real. 

Tipper says I'm over 4" now. Lord alone knows what that translates to in reality, but it's just getting heavier. 

Wow impressive. the flood advisory posted I think has a typo in it. It should read 1-2 inches has fallen not 1/2.

Flood Advisory National Weather Service New York NY 825 PM EDT Sat Jul 17 2021 NJC003-NYC071-079-087-119-180215- /O.NEW.KOKX.FA.Y.0075.210718T0025Z-210718T0215Z/ /00000.N.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/ Bergen NJ-Orange NY-Putnam NY-Rockland NY-Westchester NY- 825 PM EDT Sat Jul 17 2021 The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a * Urban and Small Stream Flood Advisory for... North Central Bergen County in northeastern New Jersey... Southeastern Orange County in southeastern New York... Putnam County in southeastern New York... Rockland County in southeastern New York... Northern Westchester County in southeastern New York... * Until 1015 PM EDT. * At 825 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated heavy rain from thunderstorms capable of causing urban and small stream flooding. Between 1/2 and inches of rain has already fallen. * Some locations that could experience flooding include... New City, Ossining, Peekskill, Monsey, Nanuet, Haverstraw, Tarrytown, Mount Kisco, Suffern, Mahopac, Lake Carmel, Nyack, West Point, Sherman, Sloatsburg, Brewster, Cold Spring, Pearl River, New Fairfield and Carmel. Additional rainfall of 1/4 to 1/2 inch is likely over the area.

29 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Lost power around 4:30 got it back around 7:30pm, we are cranking tunes once again on all speakers. First world problems. 

Glad to hear you’re back on and groovin to the music and a/c too. My daughter out in Goshen lost power but only for a couple of minutes this afternoon.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

6" according to the PWS, I'll check the Stratus in the morning. It seems that my pond completely breached... front yard is under 3' of rushing water which continues down the road for about 1/4 mile. You could see numerous fish getting swept away, rather sadly. 

That sucks!  You’ve been getting nailed.  .26” here

52 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

6" according to the PWS, I'll check the Stratus in the morning. It seems that my pond completely breached... front yard is under 3' of rushing water which continues down the road for about 1/4 mile. You could see numerous fish getting swept away, rather sadly. 

6 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

That sucks!  You’ve been getting nailed.  .26” here

Crazy how the cutoff is. 0.84 here so far. Moderate rain currently.

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

.38” total here. On another note, there’s a damn bird that keeps shitting berries into my Stratus. I cleaned it out twice yesterday morning and there was more in it this morning ARGH

3 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I give you the green light. Glorified rats with wings. :lol:

A519DBB0-F2B6-4A3E-AB91-7E22B00A94F0.png

Good afternoon, Irish, Hudson. If Forky picks up on this, the response may be classic. As always ….

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LaGrangewx said:

Took a drive out to Freedom Park off Skidmore. Flooding is devastating. Red wing lake is overflowing onto Velie road which is currently closed.

The homes on Gidley Rd along Sprout Creek must have been just swamped. They got hit hard during Irene, and this was at least as bad as then for our area. A neighbor grew up in my house in the late 60s and early 70s, and he said this was the worst flooding he'd ever seen from my pond. The bank and outflow channel will need some remedial work, but at least it's still a pond, which was in doubt for a while.

I'm told a number of people had to be rescued from stalled cars on Waterbury and Camby last night. How folks manage to get themselves in that situation, I'll never understand

4 hours ago, LaGrangewx said:

Absolutely Poured here last night. Also What map/graphic is that?

Radar estimated storm total precip from WeatherTap. Totals are almost always inflated, but good for identifying spatial patterns. I finally got around to checking the Stratus - 4.73" for a total, almost all of which fell in 90 minutes.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

The homes on Gidley Rd along Sprout Creek must have been just swamped. They got hit hard during Irene, and this was at least as bad as then for our area. A neighbor grew up in my house in the late 60s and early 70s, and he said this was the worst flooding he'd ever seen from my pond. The bank and outflow channel will need some remedial work, but at least it's still a pond, which was in doubt for a while.

I'm told a number of people had to be rescued from stalled cars on Waterbury and Camby last night. How folks manage to get themselves in that situation, I'll never understand

Radar estimated storm total precip from WeatherTap. Totals are almost always inflated, but good for identifying spatial patterns. I finally got around to checking the Stratus - 4.73" for a total, almost all of which fell in 90 minutes.

Nice Weathertap seems great. Based on the flooding I think 4+ inches in that area is definitely reasonable. Some of The PNS reports definitely don’t depict what happened last night. Also the Jaffrey area of NH had 7-8”. 

• Like 3

On 7/18/2021 at 11:27 PM, Juliancolton said:

The town has been scraping mud and rocks off the roads with a front-end loader, and it sounds just like plows on a snowy night. How we wish. 

Good morning, Julian. The closest I can come to that on my UHI sub tropic zone block is the DS Tuesday and Friday pick up. As always ….