Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

It's all good, out of my control so I try not to spend too much energy fretting about it. I'll let ya buy me a beer at the long overdue NW burbs gtg. :)

Definitely some tight gradients with this week's precip. The same areas seem to be favored day after day 

Central Hudson?  I was looking at their map last night over there and you must be one of the couple of outages that they still had. 

2 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Over an inch since about 5am. The water is winning :( Found a (new) leak in the roof and there's water about to start coming up through the basement floor from overflowing gutters on the downhill side. Blech, old houses...

That all sucks.  I have a love/hate relationship with old houses these days.

Yeah the last year and a half has put this old house through the wringer. 4 of us here almost all the time have overused every system in the house. I've had hvac, electrical and plumbing issues, we had to replace the septic tank and pipe from the house a few weeks ago, the washer and dryer are worn out, the tub rusted out around the drain closer thing and 2 more trees have come down wrecking the fence in the yard.

That's the second tank replacement in just a few years. We got rooked by a lying, thieving, slimeball of a septic guy who did shitty work then lied to us and made it worse over the ensuing time. Don't ever use Evan's Septic for anything, Charlie is a waste of oxygen.

The gutter is overflowing because the wood behind the fascia is rotting so it's sagging a little. Old... damn. 

• Sad 2

Up to 1.5” here.

just had contractor in for estimate on replacing windows, sliding glass doors and siding on back of my old house.  40+ years old and has to be done.  Chimney which is over a 100 years old leaks in heavy rain.  We’ve tried to repair twice before to no avail.  #fookinghouse.

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Central Hudson?  I was looking at their map last night over there and you must be one of the couple of outages that they still had. 

Correct, but we are now back online. There was a tree on the wires two doors down and for whatever reason, no work was being attempted on it until late yesterday. I'm sure they had a good reason... leaving a tree across a county road for two days is probably frowned upon unless it's absolutely crucial that it not be moved until they're totally ready. As soon as crews got on-site it was just a matter of a couple hours.

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

That all sucks.  I have a love/hate relationship with old houses these days.

I'm at about 99% hate and 1% love at this point. I'm not sure what "charm" is worth but it's definitely not more than the cost of repairs each year.

Just now, Juliancolton said:

Correct, but we are now back online. There was a tree on the wires two doors down and for whatever reason, no work was being attempted on it until late yesterday. I'm sure they had a good reason... leaving a tree across a county road for two days is probably frowned upon unless it's absolutely crucial that it not be moved until they're totally ready. As soon as crews got on-site it was just a matter of a couple hours.

I'm at about 99% hate and 1% love at this point. I'm not sure what "charm" is worth but it's definitely not more than the cost of repairs each year.

I’m at the point where I need to fix it up so I can sell it for a reasonable return when we’re ready to move to vt.

• Like 2

That's our thing now too. I need to make it sale ready because we've pretty much had it with living here. 2 years and the kid should be graduating from grad school so we need to maintain this place to keep the in state rates until at least then. Her twin will hopefully start grad school in January so that puts us at 2.5 years until we can leave. I'd rather not have to do all of this stuff under duress though as old systems fail, I kind of want to make things nice rather than just fixed. FlexSeal works pretty good in chimney leaks.

Looks like 1.6" will about do it for this morning wetness, we'll see what happens with that back edge line rolling eastward if it stays together and gets us wet this afternoon. The wells ought to be refreshed now so #bringbackthedrought 

21 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Add another 0.97" this afternoon so far. Pool and pond alike are overflowing... maximum soppage.

+1.75" since this measurement. So up to 7.87" for the month. Wonder if I can pick up another inch this evening for good measure. On the plus side, it's sunny and beautiful for the time being. 

On 7/8/2021 at 2:33 PM, IrishRob17 said:

@hudsonvalley21 Third day in a row for a Severe Thunderstorm Watch, do you recall that ever happening before around here?  Anyone?

Can we make it 4 days in a row?

Mesoscale Discussion 1215
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0335 PM CDT Fri Jul 09 2021

Areas affected...portions of southeast New York into eastern
   Pennsylvania...far northeast Maryland...western New Jersey

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch possible 

Valid 092035Z - 092230Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...40 percent

SUMMARY...The severe threat continues to increase across portions of
   the Mid Atlantic this afternoon. Damaging gusts remain the primary
   threat with the stronger, longer-lived storms. Conditions will
   continue to be monitored for the need of a Severe Thunderstorm Watch
   issuance.

DISCUSSION...Multicellular clusters, evident via MRMS mosaic radar
   imagery, have demonstrated small, bow-type structures over the past
   hour or so, with some damaging gusts reported. These storms are
   progressing in an environment characterized by widespread, poor
   mid-level lapse rates, but with 7+ C/km 0-3km lapse rates (evident
   via 20Z mesoanalysis and 19Z RAP forecast soundings). The
   aforementioned low-level lapse rates atop upper 60s to 70 F surface
   dewpoints are contributing to 1000-1500 J/kg MLCAPE amid 40+ kt
   effective bulk shear. These bulk shear vectors are oriented roughly
   perpendicular to the smaller linear segments. As such, storms are
   expected to continue supporting damaging gust potential through the
   remainder of the diurnal heating cycle. It is unclear how widespread
   the damaging gust threat will be through the remainder of the
   afternoon. Conditions will continue to be monitored for the need of
   a Severe Thunderstorm Watch issuance should it become evident that
   more widespread damaging gusts will become likely.

..Squitieri/Bunting.. 07/09/2021

85F1D446-9D8C-4B30-9B5B-EA269BD04228.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Can we make it 4 days in a row?

Mesoscale Discussion 1215
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0335 PM CDT Fri Jul 09 2021

Areas affected...portions of southeast New York into eastern
   Pennsylvania...far northeast Maryland...western New Jersey

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch possible 

Valid 092035Z - 092230Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...40 percent

SUMMARY...The severe threat continues to increase across portions of
   the Mid Atlantic this afternoon. Damaging gusts remain the primary
   threat with the stronger, longer-lived storms. Conditions will
   continue to be monitored for the need of a Severe Thunderstorm Watch
   issuance.

DISCUSSION...Multicellular clusters, evident via MRMS mosaic radar
   imagery, have demonstrated small, bow-type structures over the past
   hour or so, with some damaging gusts reported. These storms are
   progressing in an environment characterized by widespread, poor
   mid-level lapse rates, but with 7+ C/km 0-3km lapse rates (evident
   via 20Z mesoanalysis and 19Z RAP forecast soundings). The
   aforementioned low-level lapse rates atop upper 60s to 70 F surface
   dewpoints are contributing to 1000-1500 J/kg MLCAPE amid 40+ kt
   effective bulk shear. These bulk shear vectors are oriented roughly
   perpendicular to the smaller linear segments. As such, storms are
   expected to continue supporting damaging gust potential through the
   remainder of the diurnal heating cycle. It is unclear how widespread
   the damaging gust threat will be through the remainder of the
   afternoon. Conditions will continue to be monitored for the need of
   a Severe Thunderstorm Watch issuance should it become evident that
   more widespread damaging gusts will become likely.

..Squitieri/Bunting.. 07/09/2021

85F1D446-9D8C-4B30-9B5B-EA269BD04228.gif

Wow. I missed this discussion.  Been watching the radar though and think we’ll be ok, three days in a row is plenty enough for me!

• Like 1

Man oh man, we were already having one of the most lush and heavy growth years in I can't even remember how long with plants growing that I've never seen around here and some that are going through a flower and seed cycle that haven't in 20 years or more. This recent wet cycle has put everything into overdrive! This may actually be a bad thing as the deer have unlimited food right now and they're stronger and healthier looking than they've been in quite some time. I've also seen way more babies than I have in a long time, bears too. I already have a few friends needing new cars due to them...

39 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Man oh man, we were already having one of the most lush and heavy growth years in I can't even remember how long with plants growing that I've never seen around here and some that are going through a flower and seed cycle that haven't in 20 years or more. This recent wet cycle has put everything into overdrive! This may actually be a bad thing as the deer have unlimited food right now and they're stronger and healthier looking than they've been in quite some time. I've also seen way more babies than I have in a long time, bears too. I already have a few friends needing new cars due to them...

My garden is out of control. Not being around for 11 days, im gonna have hundreds of ripe cherry tomatoes in the next 5 days or so. 

11 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

My garden is out of control. Not being around for 11 days, im gonna have hundreds of ripe cherry tomatoes in the next 5 days or so. 

Good morning, BXE. Welcome back and your problem will likely disappear as soon as the local two/four legged fauna see red. As always ….

Deer are probably the best reason to be driving a full sized F-150 truck or similar in the NE suburbs.

Iirc, deer collisions are the most common cause of death or injury from wildlife. Bringing back wolves and cougars would be a life saving measure, as well as ecologically very desirable.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I know it's so unlike me to complain about the weather ( ;) ), but I'm losing my mind here. I haven't been so bummed about the first half of summer since 2006. Maybe someone with more long-range skill can comment, but I don't see any big change through the end of the month.

Good morning Julian. If you do lose a piece of it, I hope someone in need finds it. As always ….

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I know it's so unlike me to complain about the weather ( ;) ), but I'm losing my mind here. I haven't been so bummed about the first half of summer since 2006. Maybe someone with more long-range skill can comment, but I don't see any big change through the end of the month.

I feel your pain, I was thinking the same thing last night.

16 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Early blight of tomatoes is coming on fast and furious... that crop could be a near-total loss if we stay cloudy and unsettled for the next couple weeks, which is a safe bet.

My potatoes were doing better than I've ever had and then the wet... I can't even dig them up to try and save them, it's so wet the skins will just rip. I'm so bummed. So far the tomatoes are ok but my expectations for that to continue are pretty low. Lettuce is gone, peppers are pretty much useless and not producing, beans are slooow and brassiccas are also on their way out prematurely. 

I hope we get a chance at a second season.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 9:50 AM, gravitylover said:

My potatoes were doing better than I've ever had and then the wet... I can't even dig them up to try and save them, it's so wet the skins will just rip. I'm so bummed. So far the tomatoes are ok but my expectations for that to continue are pretty low. Lettuce is gone, peppers are pretty much useless and not producing, beans are slooow and brassiccas are also on their way out prematurely. 

I hope we get a chance at a second season.

Not a real gardener, but I'd thought that raised beds were developed just for these kind of conditions.

Admittedly, not that easy to put up raised beds and there are probably downsides I don't know about.