Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Hmm, looks like a bumpy shelf cloud to me but static pictures don't always tell the whole story. Pretty gnarly looking in any case... contrasts nicely with the snow flurries falling this morning.

Agreed on all counts.  One of the first things I recall from Storm Spotter Training is the warning on static photos.  It did look gnarly and considering the radar had rotation that gives it some street cred but I'm guessing it never reached the ground.  The occasional stray flakes over here as well, 32 was the low on the day.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Agreed on all counts.  One of the first things I recall from Storm Spotter Training is the warning on static photos.  It did look gnarly and considering the radar had rotation that gives it some street cred but I'm guessing it never reached the ground.  The occasional stray flakes over here as well, 32 was the low on the day.  

Very well could have been the precursor circulation to the confirmed Kent touchdown. This is pretty bonkers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Lows were 30.0F yesterday and 30.2F today. Nothing too terribly remarkable, but we gladly take boring at this critical point of the growing season.

Yeah an hour or three at or below freezing doesn't bother me much. Pretty much everything I planted is coming up, even the seeds that were two or three years old are doing their thing. I put in a bunch of stuff today. Veggies and flowers, flowers and veggies... We should have a garden 2021 thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah an hour or three at or below freezing doesn't bother me much. Pretty much everything I planted is coming up, even the seeds that were two or three years old are doing their thing. I put in a bunch of stuff today. Veggies and flowers, flowers and veggies... We should have a garden 2021 thread.

Garden threads invariably devolve into just lawn minutiae, nobody needs that kind of energy in their life. :)

Everything in my hoop house is thriving. Even on these cool and windy days, as long as that late April sun is shining, it's bound to be toasty in there. Electric heater keeps it AOA 70F at night, which is when the young plants do most of their growing. The only tranche still inside under grow lights is tomatoes. Even though natural light would be a little better for their short-term vigor, I like to let them get just a bit more established so they have better odds of fending off any minor pathogen pressure once the hardening off stage starts. I've had a couple season-ending early blight outbreaks from just the most tenuous contamination sources. A worse heartbreak I've never known.

19 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Garden threads invariably devolve into just lawn minutiae, nobody needs that kind of energy in their life. :)

Everything in my hoop house is thriving. Even on these cool and windy days, as long as that late April sun is shining, it's bound to be toasty in there. Electric heater keeps it AOA 70F at night, which is when the young plants do most of their growing. The only tranche still inside under grow lights is tomatoes. Even though natural light would be a little better for their short-term vigor, I like to let them get just a bit more established so they have better odds of fending off any minor pathogen pressure once the hardening off stage starts. I've had a couple season-ending early blight outbreaks from just the most tenuous contamination sources. A worse heartbreak I've never known.

I was a lazy gardener this year and didn't start anything early. I also only bought 3 strawberry starts and a few early lettuces, everything else is sown from seed in place. 

I was thinking the same thing, the only thing missing is precipitation. I think I'm down about 4 or 5 inches since it stopped snowing in February. The leaf out and bloom is sluggish because of it, I don't think that the persistently chilly nights are helping either. If you don't have a moisture meter for your garden this ought to be a good year to get one.

Speaking of gardens... lol. I laid out about 100 feet of new hugelkultur beds along the north fence line and another about 75 sq ft in the middle of the existing garden for complimentary flowers and herbs. I'll have a crazy mix of stuff to draw pollinators and hummingbirds, have to do it because two neighbors sprayed for insects and I'm hardly seeing any bees or birds this year and almost no squirrels or chipmunks either. The fill for the new beds is almost entirely native. The base is the crown branches from all of my downed trees then for the cap I did the most thorough raking of the yard ive done in a few years. I took all of the leaves and sticks and rough brown matter and chopped it up twice with the mower then spread it and wet it. Then raked again and took the entire layer of duff and capped the brown mix. Today I went and got 400 pounds of organic topsoil that I'll mix Miracle-Gro into and use for the base for the seeds over the top of the mix. Fwiw I won't use the MG to grow food but it's great for flowers.

That's the first time I've raked the yard this clean in 20 years! I have grass and wildflowers growing like mad. I think the ground needed to breathe :) my back hurts though... 

• Like 2