Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

1.60" of rain here. I won't lie, I'm a little bummed that I couldn't even manage any discernible flakes from this thing. Looks like the NE hills of CT are getting clobbered pretty good. January, April, October, it doesn't matter... eastern SNE always wins.

We always have February 2010, 3 feet of snow while they got rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

how on Earth didn't he get at least 20 inches of snow out of that?  I thought everyone west of New England did with that storm, right down to the city.

I don't recall what his total was and since he does not keep records we have to hope that in his advanced age he can recall why that storm still stings.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I don't recall what his total was and since he does not keep records we have to hope that in his advanced age he can recall why that storm still stings.  

I remember it well. It started out as heavy snow. I was watching it from the kitchen, having just made lunch, I think it was steak and eggs but it may have been a PB&J. You know I never used to like PB&Js until I became friends with a guy down at the barber shop. Oh jeez, what was his name? Ah, it doesn't matter, he sold me on these things, he said to me, he says, you have to make them with extra-- and this is something his girl taught him, she was just a sweetheart. She reminded me so much of Barbara's kid. How's Babs doing these days? So like I was saying, I turned on the TV to watch Bob Barker's show, what's it called? Is he still alive? I tell ya, one time I ran into him at the airport in Chicago, it may have been Cleveland but I think it was Chicago, nice guy, just real down to earth. I was in line to get a rum and coke, I preferred RC Cola but they said they didn't have any, and I recognized him right away. This was before wearing face masks became popular so you could still recognize people. Anyway, I paid for my martini-- oh, what was his name?? Give me a minute, it'll come to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

I remember it well. It started out as heavy snow. I was watching it from the kitchen, having just made lunch, I think it was steak and eggs but it may have been a PB&J. You know I never used to like PB&Js until I became friends with a guy down at the barber shop. Oh jeez, what was his name? Ah, it doesn't matter, he sold me on these things, he said to me, he says, you have to make them with extra-- and this is something his girl taught him, she was just a sweetheart. She reminded me so much of Barbara's kid. How's Babs doing these days? So like I was saying, I turned on the TV to watch Bob Barker's show, what's it called? Is he still alive? I tell ya, one time I ran into him at the airport in Chicago, it may have been Cleveland but I think it was Chicago, nice guy, just real down to earth. I was in line to get a rum and coke, I preferred RC Cola but they said they didn't have any, and I recognized him right away. This was before wearing face masks became popular so you could still recognize people. Anyway, I paid for my martini-- oh, what was his name?? Give me a minute, it'll come to me.

Well played LOL

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Well played LOL

You are correct that I didn't start keeping my half-assed snowfall records until the winter after that. I do remember that it was about 8" before the changeover and then got mostly washed away by the afternoon. The Taconic better approximates the line between majority rain/majority snow for that storm than the NY/CT border I think.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

You are correct that I didn't start keeping my half-assed snowfall records until the winter after that. I do remember that it was about 8" before the changeover and then got mostly washed away by the afternoon. The Taconic better approximates the line between majority rain/majority snow for that storm than the NY/CT border I think.

wow thats a weird reversal compared to Long Island, we had an inch of rain followed by a foot of heavy wind driven snow that even stuck to the sides of buildings lol

This warm/cold thing is frustrating. I have so many things I want to plant and keep getting tempted during the day when it's warm but know that I should wait until these cold nights end. So, instead of planting I'm getting all sorts of yard work done, stuff that's been building up for a couple of years is getting cleaned up, cut up and buried. I'm cutting tree crown branches over 3-4" into 5 foot lengths and laying them down along the fence lines then topping with leaves, brush and soil and turning them into planting beds, I'll fill the perimeter of the yard with things like sunflowers and milkweed. Today the kids old swingset is coming down and it will be used to build some great new beds and stuff for the garden.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

This warm/cold thing is frustrating. I have so many things I want to plant and keep getting tempted during the day when it's warm but know that I should wait until these cold nights end. So, instead of planting I'm getting all sorts of yard work done, stuff that's been building up for a couple of years is getting cleaned up, cut up and buried. I'm cutting tree crown branches over 3-4" into 5 foot lengths and laying them down along the fence lines then topping with leaves, brush and soil and turning them into planting beds, I'll fill the perimeter of the yard with things like sunflowers and milkweed. Today the kids old swingset is coming down and it will be used to build some great new beds and stuff for the garden.

Looks like we might have sustained warmth starting in the first week of May, so not far away.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

That's (part of) why I grow everything from seed these days. Between sowing, germinating, potting up, etc. it keeps my hands busy with garden stuff from February onward.

My lawn has been off to the races despite the inconsistent warmth so that's four hours per week of outdoor "fun" whenever I can be arsed to start.

My first mow was on Saturday to even it all out 

• Like 1