Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m sure we’ll have another wind event or two which will litter the yard again but at least once a year, for a few hours at least,  it’s cleaned up from twigs. 

Walt has mentioned it in the April thread that we have a few more shots at some possible wintery type events in the next couple of weeks. As for the wind events what a year for multiple spring cleanups. ;)

Walt’s post from the April thread,

No thread on my part but three more opportunities for snow lurk in our subforum. later tonight ne PA/nw NJ, probably no big deal tho 1/2" possible higher terrain ne PA.  Then the 9th-11th (next Fri-Sun),  Potential for a pretty big long duration periodic rain event (1"+) with wind (40kt) for a part of  the sub forum coast with high terrain wet snow possible. Ensembles don't favor snow, certainly nothing like the 00z/3 EC snow depth forecast (just nw NYC). There's even something during mid month?  Keeping an eye on it.  Figure future modeling will shrink the snow,  not sure the sizable storm will disappear in what appears to me to be a favorable blocking pattern for a slow mover somewhere along the Mid Atlantic Coast. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Walt’s post from the April thread,

No thread on my part but three more opportunities for snow lurk in our subforum. later tonight ne PA/nw NJ, probably no big deal tho 1/2" possible higher terrain ne PA.  Then the 9th-11th (next Fri-Sun),  Potential for a pretty big long duration periodic rain event (1"+) with wind (40kt) for a part of  the sub forum coast with high terrain wet snow possible. Ensembles don't favor snow, certainly nothing like the 00z/3 EC snow depth forecast (just nw NYC). There's even something during mid month?  Keeping an eye on it.  Figure future modeling will shrink the snow,  not sure the sizable storm will disappear in what appears to me to be a favorable blocking pattern for a slow mover somewhere along the Mid Atlantic Coast. 

We’ll see. Either way I had to get to the twigs before the grass really takes off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

@hudsonvalley21 I see what you’re saying about the lawn mower, I’m in NW at Moms, her yard is about a week away from a full mow but the sunny spots could use it now. 

Yup big difference. I was at my daughters home in Goshen  yesterday and it’s just starting to turn green there with little growth.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’ll see your dog poop and raise you deer poop. 

Good evening Irish. I remember my grandmother telling me how she and her 1920’s Dyker Heights neighbors used to run out with shovels to collect the leavings of the numerous horse drawn vendor carts. Vegetable gardens provided a necessary extra for the households of that era. The more common , at that time, mounted police also provided good deposits. As always ....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rclab said:

Good evening Irish. I remember my grandmother telling me how she and her 1920’s Dyker Heights neighbors used to run out with shovels to collect the leavings of the numerous horse drawn vendor carts. Vegetable gardens provided a necessary extra for the households of that era. The more common , at that time, mounted police also provided good deposits. As always ....

Horse farms were often visited by many folks to take from their compost piles for garden use and that was back in the 70’s that I remember. The farmers were more than happy to get rid of it. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rclab said:

7 hours ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Horse farms were often visited by many folks to take from their compost piles for garden use and that was back in the 70’s that I remember. The farmers were more than happy to get rid of it. 

Another of the many signs of spring around here is when the farmers manure their fields, smelled the first ones last month. 

• Like 3

Parts of my yard are a wreck this year from the windy conditions this winter and newly dead ash trees. The big stuff gets hauled away but I share GL's philosophy of just mowing over most debris. 

We're too far north for the brood X shenanigans, right? I think I would have remembered the last cycle if it had been a problem around here... then again, those were still the days when such things were curiosities instead of calamities. 

• Like 1

Boy what a stretch of soil warming weather we've had. The soil moisture is holding out pretty well from an inch or so down but now that things are leafing out (a week or two early) that will change quickly. I planted a few things and they're doing surprisingly well, we'll see if that lasts or if it was folly. I've spent a bunch of time cutting up those 9 trees that I lost two years ago and have gotten through most of the small stuff but I'm finding the limits of my rechargeable chain saw. It's not that it doesn't have the power or torque to go through big dense stuff but the battery overheats and it shuts down. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Boy what a stretch of soil warming weather we've had. The soil moisture is holding out pretty well from an inch or so down but now that things are leafing out (a week or two early) that will change quickly. I planted a few things and they're doing surprisingly well, we'll see if that lasts or if it was folly. I've spent a bunch of time cutting up those 9 trees that I lost two years ago and have gotten through most of the small stuff but I'm finding the limits of my rechargeable chain saw. It's not that it doesn't have the power or torque to go through big dense stuff but the battery overheats and it shuts down. 

When was the last time you had the chain sharpened? Dull teeth are really insidious... you might not realize it's an issue since it happens gradually, but it makes the saw, and you, have to work a lot harder to make the same cut. It was a game-changer when I learned how to file properly and now touch up the chain before every use. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

When was the last time you had the chain sharpened? Dull teeth are really insidious... you might not realize it's an issue since it happens gradually, but it makes the saw, and you, have to work a lot harder to make the same cut. It was a game-changer when I learned how to file properly and now touch up the chain before every use. 

It's pretty new but yeah it probably does need to be sharpened (or replaced), it has done a lot of work recently. That's one of the things I need to learn how to do but the other side of that is chains are cheap at Home Depot... 

Looks like the upcoming cool wet shot isn't going to be much to write home about. Temps look comfortable enough (60 is reasonable) and it doesn't look like much precip overall, maybe enough to soak the surface a few times but that's about it.

• Like 1

Good morning nw-ne suburbs... this Sunday April 11.  At the risk of being embarrassed for a non-occurrence, think it good to post my impression of multiple models heading into elevated wet snows the next two weeks.  Where and when?  I do think some of our friends at 1000 feet or more will get a chance to witness snow, maybe even accums.

Here's what I posted to a small FB gourd of friends this morning after implying a week ago Saturday that there could be some snow in the elevations this weekend.  Let's see if anything happens:

Good Sunday morning I84! Wheres the elevation snow you ask? Coming.

First chance in the Poconos Monday night. Miniscule amounts if any snow occurs at the tail end of what will be 1-2" rain between now and Monday night in ne PA/nw NJ/se NYS. Less rainfall CT/MA for this one.

But there's more: Thursday night-Saturday (15-17): Looks like a pretty good chance of a nor'easter that could see rain change to wet snow in the elevations, with accumulations of several inches above 1500 feet (for starters), High Point NJ, Mt Cobb in the Poconos and potentially the same in the hieest elevations above 1000 feet in CT/MA.

Is there more? It may not be over after Saturday the 17th. Could be another opportunity later the following week (toward the 24th?

Bottom line: It's April in the northeast USA and the seeing late season snow events in the elevations is fairly common. I remember gazing out the lunch room window I think in May 1967, at a mix of wet snow while taking my SAT's (or was it ACT's) in Newton NJ (elevation below 600 feet). Our Monson MA member and I remember a big May snow storm in the interior of southern New England on Mothers Day May 8, 1977. Branches snapping from heavy wet snow and sounding like gunfire in the middle of the night. So, let's not call it the new normal but be aware snow could happen in parts of our elevated areas as outlined above, sometime the next two weeks.

59 minutes ago, wdrag said:

Good morning nw-ne suburbs... this Sunday April 11.  At the risk of being embarrassed for a non-occurrence, think it good to post my impression of multiple models heading into elevated wet snows the next two weeks.  Where and when?  I do think some of our friends at 1000 feet or more will get a chance to witness snow, maybe even accums.

Here's what I posted to a small FB gourd of friends this morning after implying a week ago Saturday that there could be some snow in the elevations this weekend.  Let's see if anything happens:

First chance in the Poconos Monday night. Miniscule amounts if any snow occurs at the tail end of what will be 1-2" rain between now and Monday night in ne PA/nw NJ/se NYS. Less rainfall CT/MA for this one.

But there's more: Thursday night-Saturday (15-17): Looks like a pretty good chance of a nor'easter that could see rain change to wet snow in the elevations, with accumulations of several inches above 1500 feet (for starters), High Point NJ, Mt Cobb in the Poconos and potentially the same in the hieest elevations above 1000 feet in CT/MA.

Is there more? It may not be over after Saturday the 17th. Could be another opportunity later the following week (toward the 24th?

Bottom line: It's April in the northeast USA and the seeing late season snow events in the elevations is fairly common. I remember gazing out the lunch room window I think in May 1967, at a mix of wet snow while taking my SAT's (or was it ACT's) in Newton NJ (elevation below 600 feet). Our Monson MA member and I remember a big May snow storm in the interior of southern New England on Mothers Day May 8, 1977. Branches snapping from heavy wet snow and sounding like gunfire in the middle of the night. So, let's not call it the new normal but be aware snow could happen in parts of our elevated areas as outlined above, sometime the next two weeks.

Quick peek at models implies any snow this weekend upcoming would be falling into 33-34 degree air, albeit at night where it’d be most favorable—rates would need to be incredibly heavy to offset. I doubt GFS (most aggressive?) plays out verbatim and eventually we should see it even out for us (relatively) lower elevation folks to where we would probably see ~1-3” of absolute slop whereas someone at those elevations could cash in.

Regardless, this upcoming pattern looks rough. We never seem to get true spring anymore before summer just blows right in. 

• Like 1

I was really hoping the nice weather would win out over what has become a typical late season game over the recent past. It has been so nice for the last 5 or 6 weeks that I don't think I'll be excited if the "best case" scenarios play out. I guess as long as it's not a hard freeze I'll be ok with it but I'd rather it stay above 50 ;) 

21 hours ago, gravitylover said:

I was really hoping the nice weather would win out over what has become a typical late season game over the recent past. It has been so nice for the last 5 or 6 weeks that I don't think I'll be excited if the "best case" scenarios play out. I guess as long as it's not a hard freeze I'll be ok with it but I'd rather it stay above 50 ;) 

yes and not coincidentally I haven't had any allergies yet this year!

screw it all, I'm 100% in favor of human climate manipulation, saves millions of lives and saves people from getting allergies.

On 4/11/2021 at 8:17 AM, wdrag said:

Actually the jackpot in  the May 9, 1977 event was one of the small towns in the Catskills that received 27 inches, I can't remember the name though. Many of the higher elevation towns in Orange County were snow covered by that event. Last May 9th's snow event was great but the 1977 event blew that away. Just like last year there was even a trace in NYC.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Actually the jackpot in  the May 9, 1977 event was one of the small towns in the Catskills that received 27 inches, I can't remember the name though. Many of the higher elevation towns in Orange County were snow covered by that event. Last May 9th's snow event was great but the 1977 event blew that away. Just like last year there was even a trace in NYC.

I wonder how it can snow there with temps so high lol.

I went to the Poconos to see two days of snow, well rain changing to snow Friday night and then all day snow squalls on Saturday with lows in the teens and wind chills near zero.  And then hail on Monday lol

On 4/9/2021 at 9:12 AM, gravitylover said:

It's pretty new but yeah it probably does need to be sharpened (or replaced), it has done a lot of work recently. That's one of the things I need to learn how to do but the other side of that is chains are cheap at Home Depot... 

Looks like the upcoming cool wet shot isn't going to be much to write home about. Temps look comfortable enough (60 is reasonable) and it doesn't look like much precip overall, maybe enough to soak the surface a few times but that's about it.

Whenever I try to sharpen the chain, I feel like I’m making it worse.  The local lawnmower repair place does it right for a modest fee.

Not quite a half inch between yesterday and today.  I put some grass seed down but I’m afraid it’s too cold.

.55 or so for the 2 days so far. It's been a slow soak so it really did some good, things are wet from the top down with no dry layer so when this cool shot moves on the garden ought to be off to the races. Right now the garlic planted in Novber is going great, the herbs in the ground/pots from last year are coming back strong and half the brassicas I put in 4 days ago are starting to sprout! 

I just got a new chain, now I can just get the existing one sharpened and keep rotating them. Now I gotta get a second battery so I can switch them out too and really get some wood processed.

• Like 2