• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

I saw 68 on the dashboard while driving.

It's amazing how quickly it went from a solid snowpack to mud to dry. I dug down a foot or so to pull an old root ball and it's dry(ish) 4" down and not muddy at a foot. I've got buds trying to open on some bushes and the trees are looking ready to pop. The garlic I planted last November is coming up already! Yay :)  I hate getting these really nice stretches too early, it makes me want to start planting but I know it's really too early. I think the time is right so I did a fair bit of soil amendments today with organic compost and fresh soil. Hopefully after next weeks little cool snap it warms up for good.

3 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Low of 57 here thus far today....average low is around 30.

POU put up a nice +21F day yesterday. We'd be primed to really torch it out today if not for that bruiser of a front bearing down on us. From low 40s to 70 in a couple hundred miles, pretty impressive for this part of the country:

UKrbRSs.gif

• Like 1

Man, it's been so hard refraining from planting the garden this week. The garlic I planted in November all came up and is looking great and the herbs that I leave in are coming back strong. If we don't see a real cold snap in the next 2-3 weeks I think it's time to get some early crops in so what's the consensus on that? I know it's never smart to think it's going to stay this warm this early in the year and our last freeze is still 3-5 weeks away but...

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

Man, it's been so hard refraining from planting the garden this week. The garlic I planted in November all came up and is looking great and the herbs that I leave in are coming back strong. If we don't see a real cold snap in the next 2-3 weeks I think it's time to get some early crops in so what's the consensus on that? I know it's never smart to think it's going to stay this warm this early in the year and our last freeze is still 3-5 weeks away but...

end of next week may offer one last cold snap that lasts 2-3 days or so

and dare i say it....it may come with some snow. Doubt anything widespread as today's runs of GFS are showing but the potential does exist

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Many are the well-intentioned gardeners who fell prey to the siren song of a warm March. You can plant brassicas now, that's about it. I think I mentioned this last year but even in the record-shattering event that we've already had our last freeze, you'd still really want to let the soil rest for a while. Planting in chilly soil opens you up to problems with nutrient lockups, crop-killing pests like nematodes and cutworms, and high early-season disease pressure... to say nothing of the beneficial microbes and mycorrhizal spores that still need to awaken. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I had pellets for a while this morning. A couple of inches would probably be ok but any more and we'll have branches and weak trees down. It's budding heavily and leafing out for some species here and the ground is loose.

GFS only one that really has any snow for us now and even that is only 1-3" with 4-6" confined north of 90, seeing as how we probably make it to 60 across the area, I would take low

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Wow! I never expected much today, maybe a brief flip to flurries, but it's been absolutely ripping here, pounding even, for over an hour. Just puking snow. Went out a few minutes ago and measured 5.25" already. I wonder how long it can keep dumping like this.

Nice try

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Wow! I never expected much today, maybe a brief flip to flurries, but it's been absolutely ripping here, pounding even, for over an hour. Just puking snow. Went out a few minutes ago and measured 5.25" already. I wonder how long it can keep dumping like this.

Whats scary is this could be an april fools joke, or a cut and paste from an unnamed person on another unnamed subforum while discussing a 2” snow event....

• Like 5