Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

5 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

This stretch illustrates why I don't personally subscribe to the school of thought which holds that sleet and ZR are actually good since they "bulletproof" the pack. One mild day and the whole thing is ripe, regardless of how it originally fell.

With the sun and wind today, my snow may not make it until noon...

It looks like today we have reached that hardened, time tested, compressed,  frozen level of the snowpack that will be difficult for even the late February and early March sun to penetrate. I started this morning with 10 1/2 inches of snow on the ground and as of 3 o'clock this afternoon I'm sitting with 10 inches even. This despite a full day of sun and temperatures currently in the low 40s.

Now I can't promise how it will hold up to rain and low 40s this weekend but I think it will be more resilient than many people think.

This of course is just discussion for the Northeast Pennsylvania, Northwest New Jersey, Hudson Valley, Catskill, and Western Connecticut area. This theory does not apply to any of the urbanized areas south of that line.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

My condolences. I didn't realize east of the Hudson the snowpcak was that low.What are your YTD and monthly totals Julian?

Yeah like he said, it's not everywhere on this side. I'm in the high 50's for annual and 40+ for February. It's usually the opposite but I cashed in this month.

8 hours ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Still need roughly 10” IMBY in Sullivan to meet average which is crazy to think about with two 12+ storms with one of them being over 20”; I would tend to believe we see one more big snow and maybe a few more minor-moderate events before we’re truly finished for this winter.

What’s your average there? We are slightly above average here with 55” ytd

3 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

It looks like today we have reached that hardened, time tested, compressed,  frozen level of the snowpack that will be difficult for even the late February and early March sun to penetrate. I started this morning with 10 1/2 inches of snow on the ground and as of 3 o'clock this afternoon I'm sitting with 10 inches even. This despite a full day of sun and temperatures currently in the low 40s.

Now I can't promise how it will hold up to rain and low 40s this weekend but I think it will be more resilient than many people think.

This of course is just discussion for the Northeast Pennsylvania, Northwest New Jersey, Hudson Valley, Catskill, and Western Connecticut area. This theory does not apply to any of the urbanized areas south of that line.

Yessir, there's a point where the pack has done all the compressing it's going to do and the rate of depth decrease really levels off. There are parts of the region that will have some snow on the ground pretty much indefinitely, until we get badly warm sectored for the first time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

My condolences. I didn't realize east of the Hudson the snowpcak was that low.What are your YTD and monthly totals Julian?

This guy is in the next town over from me. I have over a foot of snow on the ground and massive piles all over from plowing and snow blowing. I’m having a hard time believing bare ground is showing. 

1 hour ago, wishcast_hater said:

This guy is in the next town over from me. I have over a foot of snow on the ground and massive piles all over from plowing and snow blowing. I’m having a hard time believing bare ground is showing. 

You got me. After posting here for 13 years, putting my PWS on the Wunderground network for all to verify my current obs, sharing hundreds of photos and videos of my yard, making friends with many of the other users on Facebook, Twitter, and in real life... this was my end game. To lie about whether my exposed, south-facing property has patches of bare ground in some spots and 8" of snow in others, rather than a consistent 8", in late-February. These suckers would have fallen for it too if it weren't for your detective work. All that effort gone to waste. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

40 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

You got me. After posting here for 13 years, putting my PWS on the Wunderground network for all to verify my current obs, sharing hundreds of photos and videos of my yard, making friends with many of the other users on Facebook, Twitter, and in real life... this was my end game. To lie about whether my exposed, south-facing property has patches of bare ground in some spots and 8" of snow in others, rather than a consistent 8", in late-February. These suckers would have fallen for it too if it weren't for your detective work. All that effort gone to waste. :(

Have a good night, Julien. Even though my bare spots are easily seen, I try not to talk about them. As always ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone, Feb 26: My expectations on two on-going threads.  1201AM-10AM Saturday (27th). Not anticipating an obs thread since the percentage of embers involved (seeing snow/sleet) looks to be rather small.  A 1-4 hour period of showery wet snow-sleet will probably occur  across the I-84 corridor early Saturday. There even could be spotty freezing rain? Minor-short duration impact, at worst, reserved primarily higher terrain where an inch or 2 is possible in the Poconos. Elsewhere for the I84 corridor, inclusive of nw NJ, expect a Trace-3/4";  A quick change to rain occurs shortly after onset, except that change to rain in the Poconos and northwest hills of CT may not occur til ~ 10AM Saturday. Melting all surfaces once the change to rain has occurred. Most may not notice the snow if sleeping.

Late Sunday the 28th-Monday March 1: I84 corridor. Uncertain but probably not a significant problem. Complex rain (spotty ice) possibly end as snow event. Any icy weather Sunday evening the 28th is reserved for the Poconos. Precipitation may end briefly as snow the rest of I84 corridor Monday morning March 1? So far, models say proceed with normal life with significant wintry weather unlikely.

Monday night March 1 I-84 corridor---near midnight: A strong cold frontal passage may be accompanied by a dusting to 1/2" of snow. If this occurs, the sudden drop in temps with the snowfall would make it slippery.

March 3-6: Uncertain modeling continues to suggest a wintry event that may include several inches of hazardous snow for the I84 corridor northward? Some models have no storm, so nothing to be sure of.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm not going to get into a pissing match. I'm just telling you what I have going on in my neighborhood so I just found it hard to believe bare ground is visible but anything is possible.  Your response was a bit over the top but to each his own. Have a great day. 

• Weenie 1

10 inches even otg this morning.

As I stated yesterday we now appear to be at the concrete level of the snowpack. Only lost 1/2 an inch yesterday despite full sunshine and a high of  43°

No pictures will be provided. If we can't have trust in our stated snow measurements then what hope is there for us to move forward as a country. If we falsify our snow depth the terrorists win.

15 hours ago, snywx said:

What’s your average there? We are slightly above average here with 55” ytd

Using MSV as the measuring stick around 65” a year, probably slightly lower here at 700’ compared to their 1200’

if Tuesday/Wednesday is the last appreciable snow chance that isn’t from any weird season transition thing, then I welcome it, this winter was good overall 

1 hour ago, wishcast_hater said:

I'm not going to get into a pissing match. I'm just telling you what I have going on in my neighborhood so I just found it hard to believe bare ground is visible but anything is possible.  Your response was a bit over the top but to each his own. Have a great day. 

His response was pretty even keeled for someone intimating he was lying. 

• Like 3

Are there microclimatological factors  contributing to snow depth variation that go unaccounted for ?  Sure.

Are there differences in measuring techniques/instrumentation that lead to inaccuracy in snow depth measurement?     Certainly.

Do we have members whose self-esteem is so interwoven with snow depth that they would lie ?     Unlikely....

• Thanks 4

On 2/25/2021 at 3:12 PM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Couldnt get into my house in NE PA because there's about 20 inches of snow everywhere (no drifts).  Had to shovel for over 2 hours just so I could open the blocked gate.

I thought the sun of the last 3 days would have melted most of this =\

• Like 2

21 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Couldnt get into my house in NE PA because there's about 20 inches of snow everywhere (no drifts).  Had to shovel for over 2 hours just so I could open the blocked gate.

I thought the sun of the last 3 days would have melted most of this =\

I can vouch for the Poconos still having a very deep snow pack, especially at and above 2k. I just measured 2 spots in my front yard, and 2 spots in the backyard. Pretty uniform amounts between 18 to 19” inches on the ground. This stuff is like a glacier too. I’m liking the slow melt.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NepaJames8602 said:

I can vouch for the Poconos still having a very deep snow pack, especially at and above 2k. I just measured 2 spots in my front yard, and 2 spots in the backyard. Pretty uniform amounts between 18 to 19” inches on the ground. This stuff is like a glacier too. I’m liking the slow melt.

Latitude doesn't matter as much as elevation here I guess.....I'm pretty much snowed in.  We had 3 inches last night, and I measured snow depth in various places, it's over 20 inches everywhere it seems, I'd say an average of about 25" and 4 feet drifts up against my deck.  This is going to take a long time to melt.  It's hard as a MF cant see any animal tracks anywhere and that's unusual because I have squirrels, rabbits, foxes, etc. here.