• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

Per twitter local spotter in my town measured 24.5” at 4:00 pm on 2/1; I was finding averages of 22.5” at that time. Since then, tacked on another 2.5” with more snow falling. So numbers seem in line with the Morris County locals.

Going out to continue shoveling now and will get more measurements. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rgwp96 said:

And that’s basically what I have on the ground as well but no doubt more fell but snow was compacting , I bet many of those higher totals don’t have the same amount on the ground that they say fell

That's what I'm thinking too.  Definitely settled down.

13 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

My 2:30pm measurement should’ve been at 1:30pm, the only excuse I have is that I’m a dumbass but I digress.

7:30pm:

-13.6” in the last 24 hours on the uncleared board (it’s cleared now) and I’m melting down a core sample from that board. 

-The measurement on the board I cleared last at 2:30pm was 7.4” so the cumulated total from that board is 15.4”.

-14.8” OTG which includes the leftovers from last week. 

The core that I took from the 24 hour board with 13.6” on it melted down to 1.56”, note that by this point there had been a notable change in the flakes by the time I took the core.  Another 4.1” on the boards this morning so by using the cleared board measuring method I got 19.5”. Using the measuring every 24 hours method it’s 17.7” but after all that there was a total of 15.5” on the ground when I measured this morning at 7:30am. This is a classic illustration IMO of how snowfall measuring is by far the least accurate weather record. 

• Like 2

I posted this in the main thread but if i had done the 6 hr clearing method (i usually do 2 snowboards, one for final and one for 6 hrs but i gave up the last few crappy winters lol) id probably be somewhere between 26-30”. Meanwhile im struggling to find anywhere thats over 18-19”. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

I posted this in the main thread but if i had done the 6 hr clearing method (i usually do 2 snowboards, one for final and one for 6 hrs but i gave up the last few crappy winters lol) id probably be somewhere between 26-30”. Meanwhile im struggling to find anywhere thats over 18-19”. 

So which number should I record in the books?  I’m going with the 17.7 but will note the 19.5, and I’ll note 15.5 at the stake. I’m sure weenies will go with the 19.5 or even round it up to 20.  Using the eye ball measuring technique I got at least 24 LOL

23 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

So which number should I record in the books?  I’m going with the 17.7 but will note the 19.5, and I’ll note 15.5 at the stake. I’m sure weenies will go with the 19.5 or even round it up to 20.  Using the eye ball measuring technique I got at least 24 LOL

that 19.5" seems accurate. Storm total here so far is 20.2" 

Picked up an additional 1" overnight  at the stake 

• Like 1

I'll start it off with 25 inches here in Highland Mills in Orange County NY, and still snowing lightly, and explain as follows:

I have 23.3 inches on the ground right now. I cleared my snow board last night around midnight and received another 2.2 inches last night. When I went to bed last night I had 22.8 inches on my snow board. The NWS says to clear the snow board at the beginning of each day (midnight) and add totals, not every 6 hours which is what the guidelines were several years ago (and should have never been changed IMO).

I hope this doesn't eliminate me as a legitimate total. I'm just following the rules.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I'll start it off with 25 inches here in Highland Mills in Orange County NY, and still snowing lightly, and explain as follows:

I have 23.3 inches on the ground right now. I cleared my snow board last night around midnight and received another 2.2 inches last night. When I went to bed last night I had 22.8 inches on my snow board. The NWS says to clear the snow board at the beginning of each day (midnight) and add totals, not every 6 hours which is what the guidelines were several years ago (and should have never been changed IMO).

I hope this doesn't eliminate me as a legitimate total. I'm just following the rules.

Yup, but I don’t think many follow those guidelines.  I did the two methods as an experiment which I found interesting, the 17.7” is going in my records. That’s impressive that you have 23.3 on the ground now, so that goes in the log as 23.5 since as you know snow depth is rounded to the nearest half inch. 

I don't know what to do with this. I've got from 2" to 40" on the ground. The median is 23 so I guess 23 is what it is. It's been misting for the last 90 minutes or so and was a mix of crystals, frozen grains and big flakes for 2 hours before that. It's only 30* but everything is compacting in a hurry. The compaction started around 7 last night when a round of heavy pellets and sleet fell for a few minutes and then the temp went up over night and everything settled at least a few inches and then the R:(N. My estimate based on what I'm seeing in the wind and temp sheltered bushes is it was probably right about 30" but I could never count it that way. 

The driveway banks are well over my head. Waiting for the plow to come again and fill the end of the driveway for me. I always enjoy throwing that wet, heavy, salty, slushy mess up 6 or 7 feet onto the banks :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Same here. I'm glad for it, honestly. It looks a lot prettier and it makes measuring much more reliable.

Totally agree.

I hate high winds in these things, and was very thankful they never materialized here. The best part is I have two feet of snow and I never once lost power. If the winds were 40-50 I wouldn't be on the internet right now or in a heated house.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Surprised so many of you didn’t get much wind. I mean, it was nothing like Christmas Eve but KMGJ gusted to 30 or higher for 19 hours straight. 

Had good winds here and for many hours. Gusts in the 30’s. Sustained winds around 15. There are some roofs with the drifting very noticeable. A screenshot from the Obs. from KSWF

21868C95-2C67-49CE-890B-4CEAEFDDBF69.png

21 minutes ago, NepaJames8602 said:

Snow continues to be moderate to heavy here in the Poconos and won’t let it. 

Steady light snow here.. I took the 10 min drive west over toward Matamoras/Montague area. Jeez! Widespread 30+ otg there. That Montague report from Mount Holly is legit. Crazy to think that I missed that band by about 6 miles or so. About a 10-15" difference

• Like 1