• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

Snow showers on their way for parts of nw NJ, se NYS and CT... see radar sewd moving. Probably a dusting-coating for terrain above 1000 feet.  sleeting near NYC recently.  I'm 38.8/29.8.  Just too warm to show snow on grass but thats at 700 feet. Cooler at 1000 feet.  This is a potentially a tease for stronger activity sometime Wednesday morning-midday. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Snow showers on their way for parts of nw NJ, se NYS and CT... see radar sewd moving. Probably a dusting-coating for terrain above 1000 feet.  sleeting near NYC recently.  I'm 38.8/29.8.  Just too warm to show snow on grass but thats at 700 feet. Cooler at 1000 feet.  This is a potentially a tease for stronger activity sometime Wednesday morning-midday. 

Had a quick snow shower here about a 1/2 hour ago.

Running out of time to hit 6 days in a row. Yesterday was questionable here, it flaked all around the area and I thought I saw some fairy dust blowing in the wind so I called it the 5th day in a row but nothing today so far. It does look nice and convective to the WNW so maybe but it also looks like it's drying up coming down off the Catskills.

12 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Running out of time to hit 6 days in a row. Yesterday was questionable here, it flaked all around the area and I thought I saw some fairy dust blowing in the wind so I called it the 5th day in a row but nothing today so far. It does look nice and convective to the WNW so maybe but it also looks like it's drying up coming down off the Catskills.

Yeah, most of that stuff is going to dissipate in the next hour or two with the loss of daytime heating. That one squall approaching the escarpment looks potent, and may have a bit more staying power... we'll see

This winter definitely feels colder than last.  I think it's due to the daytime highs.  Hasn't been unseasonably cold at night (generally 20's here), but many days that were forecast to get into the 40's have remained in the upper 30's.

The longer days are getting more noticeable which is nice.

It hasn't been colder but it's cold enough that you don't want to do stuff unless you're in the woods and out of the wind. I have a pile of parts to go on the new to me Range Rover and I keep putting it off because working on cars when it's cold sux. I'm hoping to see the days get back to the 50's soon unless we get snow then I'll go pay for shop time unless someone has a garage I can borrow for an afternoon.

Tomorrow's thing has actually been trending pretty nice – I mean, we're grading on a curve here – compared to a couple days ago. A mini-thump tomorrow afternoon followed by nearly 24 hours of snow showers, with the potential for a final quick burst on Wednesday as the inverted trough takes shape.  2-4" would be welcomed with open arms.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Tomorrow's thing has actually been trending pretty nice – I mean, we're grading on a curve here – compared to a couple days ago. A mini-thump tomorrow afternoon followed by nearly 24 hours of snow showers, with the potential for a final quick burst on Wednesday as the inverted trough takes shape.  2-4" would be welcomed with open arms.

I was thinking the same thing this morning, trending a bit better.  I'll be doing some virtual snow chasing too in the Sierras this week... 

• Like 1

Ahhhhh

Greater Lake Tahoe Area-
Including the cities of South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Stateline,
and Incline Village
905 AM PST Tue Jan 26 2021

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM PST
FRIDAY...

* CHANGES...Upgrade to Blizzard Warning.

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations of
  2 to 4 feet, except 3 to 6 feet above 7000 feet. Winds gusting
  as high as 50 mph in the lower elevations with over 100 mph at
  times over ridges with whiteout conditions.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area.

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 4 AM PST Friday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Rough conditions can be expected on Lake
  Tahoe through much of the week. Gusts 30-45 mph with wave
  heights of 2 to 5 feet. There may also be periods of thundersnow
  tonight into Wednesday morning.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be near impossible or even paralyzed with
  near zero visibility through Friday morning. Very strong winds
  could cause tree damage and power outages. If you risk travel
  over the Sierra passes, you cloud be stuck in your car for
  several hours, if not a day. Cold wind chills as low as 20 below
  zero could cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 30
  minutes.

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Ahhhhh

Greater Lake Tahoe Area-
Including the cities of South Lake Tahoe, Truckee, Stateline,
and Incline Village
905 AM PST Tue Jan 26 2021

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO 4 AM PST
FRIDAY...

* CHANGES...Upgrade to Blizzard Warning.

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations of
  2 to 4 feet, except 3 to 6 feet above 7000 feet. Winds gusting
  as high as 50 mph in the lower elevations with over 100 mph at
  times over ridges with whiteout conditions.

* WHERE...Greater Lake Tahoe Area.

* WHEN...From 10 PM this evening to 4 AM PST Friday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Rough conditions can be expected on Lake
  Tahoe through much of the week. Gusts 30-45 mph with wave
  heights of 2 to 5 feet. There may also be periods of thundersnow
  tonight into Wednesday morning.

* IMPACTS...Travel could be near impossible or even paralyzed with
  near zero visibility through Friday morning. Very strong winds
  could cause tree damage and power outages. If you risk travel
  over the Sierra passes, you cloud be stuck in your car for
  several hours, if not a day. Cold wind chills as low as 20 below
  zero could cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 30
  minutes.

Good for them.  They need it badly.

• Like 1

I miss those storms. The thing is towns keep going, things don't stop. Travel outside towns goes down especially if the roads close but S Lake Tahoe just keeps plugging away. There were days we got 3 feet or more but I could still get in the Jeep and go to work. I never had chains just decent tires, snow would be over the bumper on the main roads through town and we just did what we had to do. Getting to the hotel I worked at 300 feet up the hill was interesting sometimes but nothing a 50mph running start didn't solve (red lights be damned).

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I miss those storms. The thing is towns keep going, things don't stop. Travel outside towns goes down especially if the roads close but S Lake Tahoe just keeps plugging away. There were days we got 3 feet or more but I could still get in the Jeep and go to work. I never had chains just decent tires, snow would be over the bumper on the main roads through town and we just did what we had to do. Getting to the hotel I worked at 300 feet up the hill was interesting sometimes but nothing a 50mph running start didn't solve (red lights be damned).

I've never skied tahoe but the storms they get are amazing.  Don't know that I'd want to ski heavy wet snow and they usually come with high winds too.  I like my powder light and dry.

Some of the best snow I've ever skied was in the Sierra and some of the worst I've ever seen was in Colorado. Waist deep steeps at Kirkwood at 14° is awesome and at least as good as anything Grand Targhee or Alta has to offer and 3600 vertical feet of boilerplate sux big donkey balls whether it's at Killington or Steamboat. The wet snow thing is mostly a myth, at least while it's snowing - 6 hours later if the sun comes out all bets are off below about 9k.

It's been snowing again since about 4 and I'm getting near an inch now for the day.

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Some of the best snow I've ever skied was in the Sierra and some of the worst I've ever seen was in Colorado. Waist deep steeps at Kirkwood at 14° is awesome and at least as good as anything Grand Targhee or Alta has to offer and 3600 vertical feet of boilerplate sux big donkey balls whether it's at Killington or Steamboat. The wet snow thing is mostly a myth, at least while it's snowing - 6 hours later if the sun comes out all bets are off below about 9k.

It's been snowing again since about 4 and I'm getting near an inch now for the day.

I don’t doubt that they get light dry powder, just not as often as the interior mountains.  I’d love to ski there, don’t get me wrong, but if I’m looking to maximize my chances of skiing fresh dry powder,  I think the numbers favor lcc, Jackson hole, Montana and interior bc.

30 minutes ago, wdrag said:

fwiw... fluffy large flakes of snow here in Wantage NJ 925-938A. still ongoing.  won't be surprised at dustings beyond the Poconos next 24 hours ending Noon Friday before its too cold and dry. Hoping we can muster 0.2" tonight here in Wantage NJ. 

Walt.. what are your thoughts on the Hudson valley specifically the I84 corridor for early next week. Thank you for taking the time to post with us on this forum!