• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2021

IrishRob17

Really lousy wx tonight, doesn't get much worse.

I was looking through old pics from this week in previous years and there was almost always at least some ice on the river. On 1/1/18 I was able to walk to Goose Island up in Red Hook, a couple hundred yards from the shore. Even the small lakes are mostly or completely open this year, which you wouldn't expect from the rather modest warm anomalies compared to some recent Decembers. At least it should look wintry again by Monday morning. 

It was about 2" then compacted a bit but I got some more after that and the temp went down. I'll measure again in a while but it looks to be a solid 2". I figured 2-3 so pretty much right on, that'll do.

I think my neighbors down the street must read here because they moved the thermo for their station and it's right in line with the others in the area now and what I've always expected from this hill.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

Down to about 1/2 coverage at 36F. It would be nice to keep snow around longer than 12 hours in freaking January.

Glad we don’t live there...:bike:

Full coverage here but blades of grass now showing under the trees.  Agree though, my driveway is a mess, more like a late season snowfall. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Hah. When I move I'm gonna be extra careful not to buy another place on a south-facing hillside.

Morning Julien and Irish also. I’ll never have to worry about S/N facing when it comes to the postage stamp. It’s like having an adult version of the Easy Bake Oven. As always ....

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Hah. When I move I'm gonna be extra careful not to buy another place on a south-facing hillside.

Funny because one of my prime missions is going to be a southerly aspect, easier on heating and snow removal but with tall deciduous growth so it's shaded in the summer. I don't need snow right outside my door but I need to be part of the storms and to see it and play in it when it's over. I had a condo in Steamboat the first year I lived there and the deck faced SSE so we could sit out there and have coffee in the morning in January when it was 12* and be comfortable in t-shirts. I want that situation to be part of my retirement gig :)  It'll also be better for gardening and creating my own food. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, gravitylover said:

Funny because one of my prime missions is going to be a southerly aspect, easier on heating and snow removal but with tall deciduous growth so it's shaded in the summer. I don't need snow right outside my door but I need to be part of the storms and to see it and play in it when it's over. I had a condo in Steamboat the first year I lived there and the deck faced SSE so we could sit out there and have coffee in the morning in January when it was 12* and be comfortable in t-shirts. I want that situation to be part of my retirement gig :)  It'll also be better for gardening and creating my own food. 

That does sound heavenly. Hopefully it came across that I was mostly being facetious... I love my snow, and favorable climo will definitely play a role when choosing my next spot, but I'm not totally psychotic. Would really love to do some scouting this year if the border opens up.