• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Obs and nowcast Friday afternoon-night 18z NY Day 2021- 12z/2

wdrag

Wantage NJ This post at 740'MSL. Plenty of freezing rain.  Sleet and snow mix began 435P went to zr- at 5P. At least 0.14" liquid since it began. glaze on all surfaces except driveway spotty. Unsuspecting would fall.. it's not the solid ice at 25F zr- but it's slippery with thin film on all trees.  Temp 31.6F.  

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

31.5F with steady light rain in central Dutchess. A very tenuous glaze on elevated surfaces, but water is mostly running off.

Now 32.2F. A few remaining isolated slick patches underfoot, otherwise no problems.

(While I have no delusions that my PWS is sensitive or precise enough to reliably track temperature to tenths of a degree, the jump above 32 did seem to correspond to the end of ice accretion.)

Ice pictures from a nighttime 0.2"+ freezing rain event with estimated radial thickness of 0.12".  Pix at 715AM  This icing followed a max daytime temp of 34-35F and occurred at 31.5 throughout the night  til the 430AM ZL- 32.0.  This in my mind, counters an argument that we need 20s temps for a good freezing rain event. Nighttime I deny that.  Treated surfaces wet but I think we need to be careful about dismissing dangerous icing for pedestrians at night at temps of 31.5F. Was a good advisory throughout inside I95 and maybe I95 itself.  I will stand corrected with any science that says otherwise. These pix I think help my concerns about icing at 31F. off my pulpit for now and will listen to counter arguments. Can redistribute as you wish. 

A6C4F1AC-E102-4723-833F-212CDD6FEB70_1_105_c.jpeg

A875AE58-6F4A-49F4-A69B-6C54AAC8D7F1_1_105_c.jpeg

• Thanks 1