Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

3 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Wow! LE off the finger lakes. Any radar loops showing this? Would love to check it out. Just flurries... or legit snow falling? 

I was shocked by this too, didn't think it was possible. My brother has been here a few years and said it has happened. Radar yesterday was uncanny, we were in a bubble east of Cayuga that never died. Didn't stop until 11am today. NWS tweeted about it. 3" overnight

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSBinghamton/status/1355180976792502280

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

I remember him mentioning that the full moon and strong costal combo would boast well for a major DC/Baltimore snowstorm.. For 1/4/18. I jumped off the team Roger ship then, but his forecast verifying would surely bring me back. 

Haven't read Roger's report yet but ive wondered about the Lunar effects on the LP transfer, as well as the solar inducing effects on the LP... regarding RI... and how that effects the overall dynamics of the 2nd part of this storm...will be interesting to watch play out regardless 

33 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

Wow! LE off the finger lakes. Any radar loops showing this? Would love to check it out. Just flurries... or legit snow falling? 

It's rather remarkable. I haven't seen it in person but a few of the lakes actually have a long enough fetch and deep af (300-600 feet or something) so they dont freeze quickly. Kinda weird they arent frozen yet but I guess its been warm everywhere. When the wind lines up just right with the right conditions above they create micro snowstorms. I saw a satellite pic when the ground was brown and there was a thin stipe of snow lee of a lake. If I was forced to move to that area, you know where I'm living. Right in that narrow stripe

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

The one in Jan?  It was an icebox. Hours of sleet and it was cement for a week. I have stories to tell of that week

That was a long week everywhere in the mid-atlantic.  Power out everywhere, try to drive and couldn't get out of the driveway, let alone 10' down the road...traveled by golf carts in my area...visiting neighbors in the woods across the way was like being a medic in artillery field (limbs falling every 5 seconds)...that was a crazy storm and I hope I never see another one

1 minute ago, George BM said:

Yes that one. Around January 17th IIRC. 

I don’t recall damage as much as everything was just a sheet of ice. It was more sleet than ZR so trees and power wasn’t crushed. 

Frozen water meters OTOH were a huge issue. 

Coldest week ever I can remember in my adult life as far as working in it

• Like 1

Anyone else find it annoying af how much the general media overreact to snowfall? I feel like as I've gotten older, my excitement for snow is the same, but the media overreaction is awful. Like, we will all survive this just fine lol. 

This is also hypocritical considering how much we worship models and stalk snowfall :)

30 minutes ago, George BM said:

Yes that one. Around January 17th IIRC. 

Same day there was an earthquake in LA.  Absolutely crippled the area and probably a lot of individuals who tried to go out in it. Wasn't much fun when I had the balance of youth; do NOT want a repeat of that. Although the February sleet storm, which rivaled 2007, was pretty cool. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

Hello everyone I just made some new snowfall maps the one right below is through Monday Morning

The one below this is the total snowfall map.

What do you guys think 

Seems reasonable to me!  Hoping for more, but I think your map makes sense at the moment.

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

Can our honorable admins nuke the accounts of any folks from near Philly who passive-aggressively poke their noses into our forum? TIA.

I hope this wasn't referring to me.  It was an honest question because I've always heard the HRRR over 24 hours (hell, sometimes even 12) is extremely unreliable.  It was a pretty crappy run here too so I certainly would have no reason to be passive-aggressive?  Not that I would anyway.

• Like 1

I often say I'd loved to live in a world where the 10-day Euro forecast was reality; well I'd also love to live in a world where Roger Smith's forecasts verified with 100% accuracy.  I swear he converts from cm to inches by multiplying by 2.5. 

I've also promised to get myself an "RGEM" T-shirt if things go well on Monday 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic