Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Yes I don't think the WAA gets up to Sykesville as much and I think the ccb misses Leesburg and clips Sykesville. So pretty much all of the snow for Leesburg is from the WAA and Sykesville splits the difference with both. I think there is upside but I do think these are the bottom. I have a 27% accuracy rate over the last 17 years so.....

Hmm ok. Those seem like good numbers to me through like Sunday late evening.

• Like 1

Just now, CAPE said:

I don't care much about amounts. I just want to be able to get out and enjoy it without having to worry about a rain soaked sloppy mess. I am rooting for the coldest solution.

Same.  If the kids can get out and play in it that's all that matters to me. I don't need much on the ground, just a few inches will do

Just now, CAPE said:

I don't care much about amounts. I just want to be able to get out and enjoy it without having to worry about a rain soaked sloppy mess. I am rooting for the coldest solution.

I did like the overnight runs of the euro, jackpotting us twice with around a foot. It's not that far from the GFS either. Foot of snow about 30 miles north on that model. I like where we are at the moment, because I expected everything to go to crap and be talking about over 12 hours of rain. If the euro holds at 12z then I will start to get excited. It usually overcorrects in the short-midrange and I expect the inevitable NW ticks today with the euro.

• Like 1

Weather weenies are a weird bunch to observe. I can understand saying a negative model shift is "concerning" or a "bummer" - but the kind of terms we all sometimes throw around are funny to see. "Disturbing" was one in the main thread. 

We love snow - but come on guys after the last year or two of missing out on snow I will take something I can shovel and run with it. I would love to have 12+ but if I get 6" so be it - it will look pretty and will be worlds better than any snow I've gotten the past two winters. 

Some of us folk on here have such wild mood swings based on computers crunching numbers. Trust me - back in 2006 I was as weenie as they come.

• Like 1

Just now, JakkelWx said:

I did like the overnight runs of the euro, jackpotting us twice with around a foot. It's not that far from the GFS either. Foot of snow about 30 miles north on that model. I like where we are at the moment, because I expected everything to go to crap and be talking about over 12 hours of rain. If the euro holds at 12z then I will start to get excited. It usually overcorrects in the short-midrange and I expect the inevitable NW ticks today with the euro.

Yup if the GFS makes a small adjustment our way and the EURO adjusts a bit further NW(expected) we should do ok. The thermals on the GFS and esp CMC are awful for here after the thump. I want to see that muted. I'm ok with the warmish 850s, but surface temps of 40 for hours is garbage.

Everyone likes to hate on Ji...but a lot of you are just like him just with varying amounts. @psuhoffman - has his south trend meltdowns sometimes but at least they still have scientific backing and he backs up his reasoning.

@yoda and I don't freak out when we miss a spring/summer severe day. We just have to try to get back on the horse and keep it going. It's not like we have "lost" this storm. 

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Just gotta count on getting enough snow OTG before the warm air tries to screw us over and the precip is heavy enough that it produces its own cold air.

It has more to do with the proximity/strength of the developing coastal low and the resulting east winds. Cant really overcome that because we lose the surface up to 850. That's why the Euro solution is ideal. Ofc more snow goes hand in hand with the colder solution in this case.

Just now, mappy said:

will you guys pull yourselves together? Euro is the worst outcome when it still shows warning level snows for most? JFC. 

Not even worth trying with some of the weenies. I'm first to admit I was sooo bad when I joined the forums back in 2006 - and I was probably bad all the way through the early 2010s. At some point I guess life just shows you that while snow is awesome (and other exciting weather) - we ultimately just keep moving along. 

I equate it to your favorite sports team losing - it stings, but ultimately you just keep rolling. We're getting some amount of snow. And after the recent snow drought, it'll look great! 

• Like 1

To me - what this storm is looking like is a general very nice storm. I don't think we are going to have any areas getting widespread 2+ feet. So if you're looking for a Jan 2016 redux you're of course going to walk away with your tail between your legs. 

This looks like a good shot to be a "significant" snow event for a huge swath of the area. That alone is a big time win considering how long we've gone without something that actually looks like piled up snow instead of a sloppy event where you still see the blades of grass. 

If we are realistic about what we expect and end up getting - we'll enjoy the storm. If you want 3ft...I don't know what to tell you other than this is not your storm. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic