Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

9 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Pretty sure we've already all given up on Thursday, minus the SVA folks.

Yes sir!  It is just still hard to look at those maps and not laugh!  Every state in the country except Florida, Louisiana and South Carolina gets snow on the GDPS map.  If it wasn't for Western MD we would be the 4th and final state!  Given our placement in the overall CONUS geography of the country that is difficult to do!  Once again - I say we overachieve at underachieving!

• Like 1

I’ve been able to put off the problem for awhile, but figure I might as well ask for advice right now.

Anyone have a super long driveway here? Like 50ft? That’s what my Charlottesville house has and I’m terribly frightened of what I’ll ever do if it snows. Between all of us in the duplex there are eight reasonably strong men, but I’m concerned we’d all die if there was ever a 10”+ snowstorm. Should we all seriously consider pooling for a snow blower or a flamethrower, lol?

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I’ve been able to put off the problem for awhile, but figure I might as well ask for advice right now.

Anyone have a super long driveway here? Like 50ft? That’s what my Charlottesville house has and I’m terribly frightened of what I’ll ever do if it snows. Between all of us in the duplex there are eight reasonably strong men, but I’m concerned we’d all die if there was ever a 10”+ snowstorm. Should we all seriously consider pooling for a snow blower or a flamethrower, lol?

My cul-de-sac (13 houses) banded together to clear our street in December 2009 (20+"). The street is about 80 yards long or so, and we had about five couples chipping in. We cleared it enough to allow a car to pass comfortably in probably five hours. With eight guys, you should be fine with a few shovels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

guessing the north folks will note that is pretty fringy...

eta --- like wentz passive aggressively just did...

Its been a shit winter for many, if I *only* get 18" while others get 30", I will survive and be happy for others. I'd hope others would survive too. It's just snow.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

You’ll be fine with 8 guys.  Bring the grill out and some drinks....you’d have a blast.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I just actually looked at the euro run on my computer now for the first time.  My God that's just perfection.  And cold leading into the storm!  

It's ludicrous. Watching it unfold in real-time was about as big an adrenaline rush as I've had since (obscure reference in this forum, I'm sure) Spurs completed their comeback against Ajax in the Champions League semifinal in 2019.

https://streamable.com/h7g7e

3Qw0Jp.gif

1 minute ago, mattie g said:

It's ludicrous. Watching it unfold in real-time was about as big an adrenaline rush as I've had since (obscure reference in this forum, I'm sure) Spurs completed their comeback against Ajax in the Champions League semifinal in 2019.

https://streamable.com/h7g7e

3Qw0Jp.gif

Tottenham?  Please... MU is where its at

• Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, ryanconway63 said:

Well so much for sleep for the rest of this week.......

this isn't a knock against you, but i will never understand the thought of staying up until 1-2am for a model run you could easily just look at in the morning. maybe i'm just not enough of a snow weenie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Don't wait until it's all over.  Create shifts of 2-4 guys and get out there every couple hours depending on the snowfall rate.

1 hour ago, NorthArlington101 said:

You won't die.  My driveway is 200' long and I have shoveled it for 15 years.  Lots of pretty big storms in that time.  During the last snow in December my 12-year old helped.  But for most of that time I did it solo.  I will be 58 years old in March and am seriously considering a snow blower purchase at some point before the next Nino.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I've had 3 houses with driveways 100'-150' long . Always shoveled - no blower ever . I enjoy it except for maby 2010 when it took me 10-12  hours each storm 5 days apart . That was tough . Maby when I'm @mitchnicks age I'll get a blower lol.

@mitchnick got a blower a long time ago, unfortunately it doesn't clean snow. 

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, attml said:

Just a quick reminder for anyone believing that the 41 inches showing on the current Euro will actually verify!   The map below is pretty hard to do but we always seem to over achieve at underachieving!  Lol! 

My girlfriends never believed it either until it happened, so i sympathize with you. 

2 hours ago, mappy said:

this isn't a knock against you, but i will never understand the thought of staying up until 1-2am for a model run you could easily just look at in the morning. maybe i'm just not enough of a snow weenie.

Amen. I most times don’t even stay up for the gfs.

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Amen. I most times don’t even stay up for the gfs.

Since working from home I do stay up later during the week, 11ish so I’ll sometimes catch it, but no way am I’m staying up until the euro. I’m too old for that 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic