• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

@leesburg 04 My points are frustration at the larger picture and how much harder it's getting to get snow...not specific to this week.  We may luck out still...its a really nice setup still...just need some south adjustment to the current consensus but I am also still seeing signs the coverage of snow will be much less then it should be historically given this setup.  An amplifying southern wave sliding west to east under a block with an airmass that originated in the Arctic over the top...that should have a HUGE expansive WAA snow shield to its north and northeast and we shouldn't need to be sweating getting the exact perfect track to get some snow.  It was already hard to get snow here...if every storm even in a really good pattern has some paltry narrow freaking area of snow it makes it even more likely we strike out even in good patterns, and you can forget it in mediocre or bad ones.  

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

@leesburg 04 My points are frustration at the larger picture and how much harder it's getting to get snow...not specific to this week.  We may luck out still...its a really nice setup still...just need some south adjustment to the current consensus but I am also still seeing signs the coverage of snow will be much less then it should be historically given this setup.  An amplifying southern wave sliding west to east under a block with an airmass that originated in the Arctic over the top...that should have a HUGE expansive WAA snow shield to its north and northeast and we shouldn't need to be sweating getting the exact perfect track to get some snow.  It was already hard to get snow here...if every storm even in a really good pattern has some paltry narrow freaking area of snow it makes it even more likely we strike out even in good patterns, and you can forget it in mediocre or bad ones.  

And you don't think this may just be unique to this particular year? Is there precedent?...Didn’t I hear talk of the cold air being bottled up in the other side of the globe a month ago? I mean, maybe this is me trying to keep some hope alive that what we're seeing is not permanent, but...Didn't we have the "bomb cyclone" just two years ago? I don't remember an absence of cold air that year (just that dang fast flow). 

What if something particular about this year (that's not related to the elephant in the room) caused this?

4 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And you don't think this may just be unique to this particular year? Is there precedent?...Didn’t I hear talk of the cold air being bottled up in the other side of the globe a month ago? I mean, maybe this is me trying to keep some hope alive that what we're seeing is not permanent, but...Didn't we have the "bomb cyclone" just two years ago? I don't remember an absence of cold air that year (just that dang fast flow). 

What if something particular about this year (that's not related to the elephant in the room) caused this?

I don’t see how we can get cold air to our north when the polar region is basically walled off by the higher heights. 

Than said, Canada looks to be becoming quite cold.

Well I was happy that some events have started to show up on the models not only today but the last few days. I call that a win but today's 12z was pretty disappointing for the most part. Best part about today so far is that anything that could happen is still 5+ days away so things can change and probably will. I remain hopeful

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Well I was happy that some events have started to show up on the models not only today but the last few days. I call that a win but today's 12z was pretty disappointing for the most part. Best part about today so far is that anything that could happen is still 5+ days away so things can change and probably will. I remain hopeful

5-6 days away and we still have something (s) to track. A miracle!

40 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Back in Arlington.  It’s basically spring here compared to Deep Creek. 

Got another inch or so during the day then turned sunny, perfect for hiking. Basically more snow in a couple days than I've seen over the last several years back in EC. Not looking forward to my trip back on Friday.

@WinterWxLuvr Pretty sure this will be sticking around for awhile!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

Got another inch or so during the day then turned sunny, perfect for hiking. Basically more snow in a couple days than I've seen over the last several years back in EC. Not looking forward to my trip back on Friday.

@WinterWxLuvr Pretty sure this will be sticking around for awhile!

I can’t remember if this is your first winter out there or not?  It really is just a different world as WinterWxLuver said above...crossing into the county from Frostburg flips the switch into winter paradise.  We had friends visiting this weekend who arrived Friday afternoon during the snowfall..they were amazed at the fact that it was raining in Frostburg but the second they hit the county line, immediately changed to heavy snow.  

This winter has been night/day vs last winter (and much closer to a normal year).  Depending how February/March goes, we could hit average there (~110” in McHenry).  I’m getting close to 60” on the season.

5 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z EPS continues to cave toward GEFS in early next week storm.  

BBEBA9DD-2C4F-4936-A94E-66DACBFA04D3.png

0A19DFC0-E7B4-4191-9C07-3CC35EAE239B.png

41B4C365-8DA3-47E7-9505-2BD86AFB8832.png

E51748D0-8155-49D7-8BDE-8F3E39175CAC.png

1 hour ago, Weather Will said:

WB 18Z GEFS says see you in February...

F145DB69-908B-4292-9F60-7EF7B6D9D7E5.png

11 hours ago, Weather Will said:

No, but the temps are above freezing upstairs at hour 144 

FDD10709-1236-43CF-8528-9E1034357CAB.png

On 1/18/2021 at 1:57 PM, Weather Will said:

WB 12Z EURO...rather it do this then rain but models are still over the place...

B52FE8FD-76CC-49B4-B774-E1CE83E003CF.png

do you enjoy giving bad news? there are many other examples.

• Haha 1

Yet another instance where the models shift north and I will likely end up all rain AGAIN for the 26th. If I don't receive at least 6 inches by the 1st week of February, I am officially out of this pathetic winter. Like come on, is that too much to ask for? 

This winter will receive an F- if I don't get at least one snowstorm between the last week of January and the 1st week of Feb, then I don't know what else to say. What else will it take to get one? 

Despair on a truly epic scale. @WxWatcher007 bring out the winter despair index?

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic