Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

37 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was hard to watch and I hated every bit of that but I honestly don’t think it had anything to do with the decision. If it did they would have fired him immediately. Plus the GM knew about that plan going in so....they weren’t hiding it. They said during the week they intended to rest several starters and get the 3rd string QB some playing time. They said they were treating it like a preseason game. So then after suddenly it’s a problem?   If it was that’s as much the GMs fault. In the end the coach and GM had a toxic relationship and the owner went with the wrong guy imo. The fact they are very close didn’t help. 

I think you can’t under estimate the power of a fan base. There were plenty of voices that were pretty loud in their disdain for that, national voices. That brings it to the front and then I’d bet there were hordes of Eagle fans that made their displeasure known. When an organization has a whole nation and then their own fan base disgusted and embarrassed there’s added pressure to make a move. The easiest move an organization can make is to change the coach.

Pederson and anybody else in the organization can try to justify what they did but for many, including me, it was wrong on a bunch of different levels.

52 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Tanking that last game did him no favors whatsoever. 

As a Dolphins fan, I will always have a bit of soft spot in my heart for Doug.  He was QB at the end of the game in 1993 that Don Shula got the record for most wins as a coach. (the year that Marino was hurt.)

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I think you can’t under estimate the power of a fan base. There were plenty of voices that were pretty loud in their disdain for that, national voices. That brings it to the front and then I’d bet there were hordes of Eagle fans that made their displeasure known. When an organization has a whole nation and then their own fan base disgusted and embarrassed there’s added pressure to make a move. The easiest move an organization can make is to change the coach.

Pederson and anybody else in the organization can try to justify what they did but for many, including me, it was wrong on a bunch of different levels.

The VAST majority of Eagles fans wanted the GM gone. Some wanted both GM and coach gone. Almost no one wanted the coach gone and GM back. Way more agree with me that the GM is the main problem.  Also...when it comes to coaching decisions Eagles fans imo aren’t the best to base your decisions on. They would fire every coach after every loss. Eagles fans are as logical wrt coaching expectations as Ji with snow. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The VAST majority of Eagles fans wanted the GM gone. Some wanted both GM and coach gone. Almost no one wanted the coach gone and GM back. Way more agree with me that the GM is the main problem.  Also...when it comes to coaching decisions Eagles fans imo aren’t the best to base your decisions on. They would fire every coach after every loss. Eagles fans are as logical wrt coaching expectations as Ji with snow. 

Yeah I’m not familiar at all with the Eagles. I’m sure you are. I’m just saying it isn’t surprising that they went after him. Coach firings are the easiest way to look like you are “doing something”

54 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That was hard to watch and I hated every bit of that but I honestly don’t think it had anything to do with the decision. If it did they would have fired him immediately. Plus the GM knew about that plan going in so....they weren’t hiding it. They said during the week they intended to rest several starters and get the 3rd string QB some playing time. They said they were treating it like a preseason game. So then after suddenly it’s a problem?   If it was that’s as much the GMs fault. In the end the coach and GM had a toxic relationship and the owner went with the wrong guy imo. The fact they are very close didn’t help. 

As A WFT fan I really appreciated Pederson pulling Hurts for  Nate Sudfield.

:lol::weenie:

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

It’s never as simple as they make it seem on sports talk. Let me preface that I love our owner overall. He’s done way more good then bad over the years. And before I make him seem like the worst GM ever Howie Roseman did build the super bowl team. So he deserves props for that. But right now the owner is way to close to the GM.  Andy had one truly bad season in 14 years and they fired him. Doug had one bad season in 5. Both seem rather impatient decisions Imo. And I consider the current issues way more personnel then coaching. They got old and injured and on top of that their last few drafts were busts and the QB lost his mind. And it’s all mental with Wentz. I dunno if it’s the head injury from last year but he totally lost his timing and feel this year.  This play illustrates it best but this wasn’t an isolated thing.

I dunno how the coach can fix that.  He did that several times every game like his brain was in slow motion. 

Lastly given covid I would have just given this year a mulligan. But the GM was meddling in things that should be coaching decisions like assistant staffing decisions and playing time decisions and that situation finally boiled over. But imo Doug was a good coach. I liked his aggressiveness and play calling. I liked how hard the players played for him. Their failures seemed to be a lack of talent when it mattered not coaching. 

You know it's bad when you make Dallas' trash defense look good.

3 hours ago, cbmclean said:

As a Dolphins fan, I will always have a bit of soft spot in my heart for Doug.  He was QB at the end of the game in 1993 that Don Shula got the record for most wins as a coach. (the year that Marino was hurt.)

I was at that game.  1993.  He beat the Eagles at the Vet.  If I recall we had like a 1 point lead and then the dolphins got a late FG to win. 

I'm not here to bash models by any stretch, but there's absolutely no reason to put any stock in what ops show at anything more than 120 hours. I mean...even the ensembles appear to be struggling right now and it's questionable to look out more than maybe 180 hours.

Too bad I'm bored as fugg since we're not able to go anywhere. I guess the weather isn't totally miserable so you can at least get outside for a bit, but FFS this is just a boring winter. 

• Like 3

On 1/15/2021 at 7:13 AM, leesburg 04 said:

My artificial deadline has been January 20th to start seeing hits on the models if next Wednesday's model runs don't show some nice outcomes it's summer mode for me. It's funny that tracking used to be pretty exciting but is now honestly the least enjoyable part of the hobby. I'm full of patience and I also know when to cut the cord. I remain hopeful. 

If today is any indication maybe by Wednesday things might be looking better for a chance or two. Only 10 or so model runs to go

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

If today is any indication maybe by Wednesday things might be looking better for a chance or two. Only 10 or so model runs to go

Mitigation of the bipolar nature of storm threat hunting is possible by paying little to no attention to op runs until it is inside day 7.

I suppose the LR thread would be boring and stable if everyone did that.B)

• Weenie 1

18 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

If the Vikings ever won a Super Bowl (I know, imaginary scenario), I wonder how many years it would take before I would be pissed off enough to “run” the front office out of town.

To be clear ideally I didn’t want either the GM or coach gone. But the relationship was such one had to go and so I would have kept the coach. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic