Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

9 minutes ago, blizzardmeiser said:

So many Lamar apologists. Yes the O line dropped off but his play in these big games has been alarming. He’s come up short 3 straight years. No one is saying give up on him yet but I need to see him do well against a very good defense in a big spot. He thinks run first all the time and still struggles in reading defenses.  Until he can win the big game doubts will remain about him. 

Explain this in detail. If you cant, then you are just tossing out arbitrary bullshit to support a narrative.

After last night, he now has 49 TD passes and 1 interception in the red zone. He can read.

Just now, CAPE said:

Lamar's biggest weakness is throwing downfield to the outside consistently. Need to do that in the NFL.

Ofc it helps to have a big bodied, physical receiver who can reliably make a contested catch. Ravens don't have one right now.

I agree- he is incredibly inconsistent in that regard. He’s made some terrible decisions. Btw, he might be the greatest running QB in history. Maybe that leads into his indecisiveness. 

Stack the box and make him beat you with his arm. Go out and get him another wideout but he still is going to need to pick up his game. QBs are judged on how they perform in the playoffs- so far you have to be honest- he has not done well. 5 Ints in 4 playoff games. Can he get better? Yes. If I was a Raven fan I would still be optimistic. But until he proves otherwise, the narrative remains he’s done poorly in the playoffs. 

Kirk Cousins has great stats but something is missing...well two things are missing but kids might be reading. My opinion Lamar has obvious above average talent and clearly is an intelligent young man but something is missing...I sometimes wonder if these QBs who were incredible runners have a hard time harnessing that skill and blending it with the arm talent. Steve Young figured it out, Cunningham went from one extreme to the other, Vick never quite got there but was close but got hurt...I don't know seems like Lamar needs to slow down the legs and speed up the arm to make himself an awesome QB. Right now he's an incredible talent but not quite there yet. I guess Mahomes is the ideal...great arm talent who can run vs great leg talent who can throw. My two cents and in case you were wondering about Kirk....no balls...sorry kids

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Kirk Cousins has great stats but something is missing...well two things are missing but kids might be reading. My opinion Lamar has obvious above average talent and clearly is an intelligent young man but something is missing...I sometimes wonder if these QBs who were incredible runners have a hard time harnessing that skill and blending it with the arm talent. Steve Young figured it out, Cunningham went from one extreme to the other, Vick never quite got there but was close but got hurt...I don't know seems like Lamar needs to slow down the legs and speed up the arm to make himself an awesome QB. Right now he's an incredible talent but not quite there yet. I guess Mahomes is the ideal...great arm talent who can run vs great leg talent who can throw. My two cents and in case you were wondering about Kirk....no balls...sorry kids

Yet somehow received an 84M 3 year guaranteed contract from the Vikings. Terrible signing. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I don’t think it’s fair to judge a quarterback that has little passing support.

A banged up offensive line and 175 lb wide receiver that avoids contact (and should because he’s made of glass) isn’t a strong supporting cast. Without him, they are not even in the playoffs.

Yeah they made the commitment to him, and will likely sign him long term in the offseason. They need to give him the supporting cast to get the passing game to be more of a threat. The OL should be easy enough to fix in the offseason, but for whatever reason, the Ravens are awful drafting/developing a legit WR. They signed Boldin as a FA, and that helped them win a SB. Not sure who is available via trade or free agency, but they need to do what Buffalo did when they got Diggs. Look at the difference in Josh Allen this year. Night and day. Buffalo also did a great job implementing the short passing game- receiver screens etc, to help him be more efficient. Meanwhile, the Ravens are stuck with the severely overrated and unimaginative Greg Roman.

Just now, EastCoast NPZ said:

Epic -AO and -NAO during the entire heart of winter, and I have not, and very likely will not, seen 1 flake of snow.  

Don't worry. You'll get plenty out there at some point. I've had 12" total since 2016 lol.  I'd be happy with 4" and call it a season at this point.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Explain this in detail. If you cant, then you are just tossing out arbitrary bullshit to support a narrative.

After last night, he now has 49 TD passes and 1 interception in the red zone. He can read.

I’ll expand. Bills player Johnson said after the game that tape showed Jackson doing the same thing a lot. So he baited Jackson expecting him to do the thing he saw on tape. 

The problem with RPOs and that type of offense is that a lot of the passes are one read only. When they fake the run to pass it’s usually a slant throw to a WR or a seam pass to a TE after the LBs suck up for the run. What Jackson would need to get better at is if that first read is no good then to see what else develops before taking off running. 

Some of Jackson’s struggles does have to do with lack of good WRs and TEs that were hurt a lot. Need weapons to throw. It’s not all Jackson but I see some similarities to RG3 who didn’t do well standing in the pocket and reading things. Some routes take more than 3 sec to run. Can’t have a scrambly, want to run  50% of the time QB instead of letting corner routes or crossers not develop. 

Maybe Roman is part of it too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, H2O said:

I’ll expand. Bills player Johnson said after the game that tape showed Jackson doing the same thing a lot. So he baited Jackson expecting him to do the thing he saw on tape. 

The problem with RPOs and that type of offense is that a lot of the passes are one read only. When they fake the run to pass it’s usually a slant throw to a WR or a seam pass to a TE after the LBs suck up for the run. What Jackson would need to get better at is if that first read is no good then to see what else develops before taking off running. 

Some of Jackson’s struggles does have to do with lack of good WRs and TEs that were hurt a lot. Need weapons to throw. It’s not all Jackson but I see some similarities to RG3 who didn’t do well standing in the pocket and reading things. Some routes take more than 3 sec to run. Can’t have a scrambly, want to run  50% of the time QB instead of letting corner routes or crossers not develop. 

Maybe Roman is part of it too. 

Well that's the offense they run, so not sure it is correct to say Jackson cant read defenses. I think a more accurate criticism is that as he goes through his progressions, sometimes he doesn't pull the trigger, or is a tad late. As for Roman, check out his history as an OC. Always bottom 5 in passing. If the Ravens want Lamar/the team to be more threatening in the passing game, they might consider another OC.

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Well that's the offense they run, so not sure it is correct to say Jackson cant read defenses. I think a more accurate criticism is that as he goes through his progressions, sometimes he doesn't pull the trigger, or is a tad late. As for Roman, check out his history as an OC. Always bottom 5 in passing. If the Ravens want Lamar/the team to be more threatening in the passing game, they might consider another OC.

We'll give you Kellen Moore.

• Haha 1

Ravens need a center that can snap the ball in shot gun formation. Haven't watched alot of Ravens games this year but It was mind blowing to me the issues they had with that. The interception was costly but the outcome may have been differnt without all those bad snaps.

13 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Ravens need a center that can snap the ball in shot gun formation. Haven't watched alot of Ravens games this year but It was mind blowing to me the issues they had with that. The interception was costly but the outcome may have been differnt without all those bad snaps.

He replaced one who had the same problem lol. 

The OL has been a mess all year honestly. This patchwork group got it together enough to become good at run blocking, but they are terrible at pass blocking- mostly the interior 3. Any defense that can bring pressure up the middle push them back into the QB on the reg. Buffalo is one of those teams.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The long range thread can make one truly psychotic. It looks great then looks bad, it’s be patient it’s coming and then it’s we can’t really know. 

As for me I just want a good precip event that isn’t a cold front. Let’s start there.

Me too, considering cold fronts only bring rain these days.

Eh, same with storms. lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Uh oh PSU just canceled winter...or was that Ji...I get so confused by the two....anyway

I have to disagree.  When the model guidance is good, PSU says so.  When it is bad he is sometimes discouraged as are we all.  Right now guidance is bad or at least clearly trending the wrong way.

Ji on the other hand...

22 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This is nuts. Analyzing every individual model every six hours at long range as if they are gospel.

That is a valid point, but I if I understand correctly, I think the negativity in the main thread currently is due to a notable degradation in the outlook across all three "majors" (GFS, Euro, CMC) during the course of several consecutive runs.  I think its completely legitimate to be discouraged right now.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic