• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

@WVclimo - I live in Loudoun but we have decided to move to WV this spring - panhandle out as far NW as probably Falling Waters.  I don't think we would go much past 81.  We also have a 6th grader.  Tips on communities out your way?  We haven't spent a lot of time out there and just starting our research.  We would have left NOVA earlier if it wasn't for the commute but the one good thing about Covid is it opened up teleworking.  So we are out of here...

Appreciate any tips/thoughts

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

@WVclimo - I live in Loudoun but we have decided to move to WV this spring - panhandle out as far NW as probably Falling Waters.  I don't think we would go much past 81.  We also have a 6th grader.  Tips on communities out your way?  We haven't spent a lot of time out there and just starting our research.  We would have left NOVA earlier if it wasn't for the commute but the one good thing about Covid is it opened up teleworking.  So we are out of here...

Appreciate any tips/thoughts

I live 3 miles west of 81 in a rural area, surrounded by farms and orchards.  When we moved here from Suburban Md. in 2006 there weren’t many amenities nearby.  In the past several years though, a great deal of development has taken place a few miles to our south in an area called Spring Mills (off I-81 Exit 20.)  I would definitely check it out.  

Three new schools were built there, including Spring Mills HS, which is a great school.  I would rank it at the top for schools in Berkeley County.  Our daughter graduates from there this Spring.  A great many new single-family homes and townhouses are being built there also, along with two medical facilities that recently opened, and with so much retail now nearby it has really blossomed into a nice community.

If you have questions during your search, please feel free to reach out to me via PM.  (My name is Craig.) 

Good luck !

8 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

I live 3 miles west of 81 in a rural area, surrounded by farms and orchards.  When we moved here from Suburban Md. in 2006 there weren’t many amenities nearby.  In the past several years though, a great deal of development has taken place a few miles to our south in an area called Spring Mills (off I-81 Exit 20.)  I would definitely check it out.  

Three new schools were built there, including Spring Mills HS, which is a great school.  I would rank it at the top for schools in Berkeley County.  Our daughter graduates from there this Spring.  A great many new single-family homes and townhouses are being built there also, along with two medical facilities that recently opened, and with so much retail now nearby it has really blossomed into a nice community.

If you have questions during your search, please feel free to reach out to me via PM.  (My name is Craig.) 

Good luck !

I just might do that and that is good info on the school.  We pulled our daughter from LCPS because they are a disaster and my husband has been homeschooling but at some point we expect her to go back to public school.  I was a bit worried about some of the schools so this is welcome news.  We are definitely looking for more land - 3 - 5 acres but we also don't want to isolate our daughter who is an only child.    

I will check out Spring Mills - thanks!  

17 minutes ago, gunny23 said:

I just might do that and that is good info on the school.  We pulled our daughter from LCPS because they are a disaster and my husband has been homeschooling but at some point we expect her to go back to public school.  I was a bit worried about some of the schools so this is welcome news.  We are definitely looking for more land - 3 - 5 acres but we also don't want to isolate our daughter who is an only child.    

I will check out Spring Mills - thanks!  

We are on 4 acres on a private road.  You can find a lot of properties like that in this area but I would still say to try to find one in the Spring Mills school district if you end up coming near here.  

A majority of the folks who live on our street bought their homes when they were built in the late 1970s.  Their kids are grown and gone, so with only a few exceptions our kids haven’t had many other kids around the neighborhood growing up.  We’ve tried to keep them involved in athletics, school clubs and scouts so they didn’t feel too isolated.

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I hear that. We were tempted, but we fought the urge. Next week might be tough, too, but right now I’m having as tough a time as I’ve had since we started.

So bored...

:lol:

Dude. Just exercise. That’s what I do. Did 30 min of stupid hard cardio today. Now I can have beer

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, H2O said:

Dude. Just exercise. That’s what I do. Did 30 min of stupid hard cardio today. Now I can have beer

This is more of an exercise to detox (and to prove I can do it) than a weight-shedding one. And if I had time to exercise, I would, because I could probably use it.

if you guys in the DC area were guaranteed 2 10 inch storms a winter between Dec 15 and Feb 25th and nothing else..........and that would be it for the rest of your lives. Or the other option would be to continue the winters as we have them now with the unpredictability. What would you choose?

15 minutes ago, Ji said:

if you guys in the DC area were guaranteed 2 10 inch storms a winter between Dec 15 and Feb 25th and nothing else..........and that would be it for the rest of your lives. Or the other option would be to continue the winters as we have them now with the unpredictability. What would you choose?

You take the 2 10 inch storms. You're guaranteed AN snowfall every year. 

27 minutes ago, Ji said:

Well you wouldn't want to miss out on future HECSs/BECSs for two 10" events that would be the last snow we ever experience living here in our lives leading to constant depression due to "lack of blue" for you for the rest of your life... would you?

1 minute ago, George BM said:

Well you wouldn't want to miss out on future HECSs/BECSs for two 10" events that would be the last snow we ever experience living here in our lives... would you?

no..you are guaranteed 2 10 inch storms every winter for the rest of your life.....but that would be all you get each winter

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

no..you are guaranteed 2 10 inch storms every winter for the rest of your life.....but that would be all you get each winter

Okay, gotcha. I would still go with the regular scheduled programming for our region.

Now if those 10" events come in the form of Jan 25, 1985 type snow squalls, though... eh it would still be close for me. Conventional HECSs would be nice to experience once in a while... though I do love me some snowy severe thunderstorm QLCSs.

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm not drunk enough for this

Lol. Keep in mind ji is referring to DC, so assume your house would get 15"+ from these storms.

I dont think people realize that 14.4" is top 10 all time for DC. A 10" snowfall in dc proper is fairly rare, so Ji's question is an easy one to answer for me.

1 minute ago, snowfan said:

Lol. Keep in mind ji is referring to DC, so assume your house would get 15"+ from these storms.

I dont think people realize that 14.4" is top 10 all time for DC. A 10" snowfall in dc proper is fairly rare, so Ji's question is an easy one to answer for me.

That’s still not even a fair comp since I average close to 40” and DC about 14”.  A better comp for me would be 2 25” storms a year. In which case hell yes so long as I didn’t know they were coming.  That would ruin most of the fun. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s still not even a fair comp since I average close to 40” and DC about 14”.  A better comp for me would be 2 25” storms a year. In which case hell yes so long as I didn’t know they were coming.  That would ruin most of the fun. 

2 25 inchers a year is being a little greedy :)

Maybe we just agree that Jis idea of only 2 snowfalls a season sucks. 

Was driving up through Westminster yesterday and saw some decent sized parking lot snow piles still.. impressive honestly considering how long ago it was. I'm still on board for the 20th as to when the models start showing the goods...if not then I'm going to start concentrating on my other hobby...getting fat

10 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Was driving up through Westminster yesterday and saw some decent sized parking lot snow piles still.. impressive honestly considering how long ago it was. I'm still on board for the 20th as to when the models start showing the goods...if not then I'm going to start concentrating on my other hobby...getting fat

You can do both hobbies without much effort.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic