Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

6 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Let’s not give up yet. I remind myself of 92-93. I don’t know what it was like up here but where I lived there was an early Dec storm and then literally nothing until the second weekend of Feb. That kicked off an epic 6 week period that culminated with the greatest storm ever, the 93 superstorm (all hail the Superstorm)

I was further south in 92/93, so no idea what it did up here. I was also 8/9 and didn't pay attention enough to remember snow back then lol 

CWG out with a snow futility article today co-written by our own @Ian. Longest stretch on record now without a 0.5” or greater snow at DCA. 694 days. I think DC is also at or near the longest time without a low temp at or below 22F. Yes, some of this is bad luck. A lot is not.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Let’s not give up yet. I remind myself of 92-93. I don’t know what it was like up here but where I lived there was an early Dec storm and then literally nothing until the second weekend of Feb. That kicked off an epic 6 week period that culminated with the greatest storm ever, the 93 superstorm (all hail the Superstorm)

In my short lifetime, Feb/March 2015 is also an epic period that completely slashed the narrative of that winter. 2 warning level events, a bunch of great WWA level events, and of course 3"+/hr rates for 30 minutes in that absurd Valentine's day snow squall. The first time 5th grade me had gotten back into following weather after being sad over March 6 2013 (surprisingly I have 0 recollection of 13/14, unfortunately), but yeah that was also an epic stretch. 

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

CWG out with a snow futility article today co-written by our own @Ian. Longest stretch on record now without a 0.5” or greater snow at DCA. 694 days. I think DC is also at or near the longest time without a low temp at or below 22F. Yes, some of this is bad luck. A lot is not.

I remember reading somewhere that in terms of tree growing ordinance, a yearly minimum low temp of 22 is similar to areas such as Houston and New Orleans. Anyone up for planting some palm trees? :yikes:

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

We used to say DC is the new Richmond.  we've skipped that and we're the new Atlanta.  

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Was it filled with smiley faces and thumbs up emojis?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, yoda said:

Boo the Caps... boooooo ;)

Going to be interesting to see how Chara fits in on the defense

Never had a stout before... are they any good?  Like that drink looks pretty good

I’m torn on Charra. I HOPE it works out? Last time we had a fossil on D (Orpik), we won the Cup. 

Morning After from Hysteria was just canned like 20 mins ago. My favorite batch yet. Gotta love coffee though. It’s pretty much an iced 7% ABV coffee with soft cocoa and vanilla throughout. Types that as I sip the new Piney The Panda DIPA. Holy! 8.5%. West / East Coast hybrid. Can I get some PNA love one day day soon to help us with our snow dreams in the East!? LOLz 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scraff said:

I’m torn on Charra. I HOPE it works out? Last time we had a fossil on D (Orpik), we won the Cup. 

Morning After from Hysteria was just canned like 20 mins ago. My favorite batch yet. Gotta love coffee though. It’s pretty much an iced 7% ABV coffee with soft cocoa and vanilla throughout. Types that as I sip the new Piney The Panda DIPA. Holy! 8.5%. West / East Coast hybrid. Can I get some PNA love one day day soon to help us with our snow dreams in the East!? LOLz 

Sounds pretty good.  I will admit that I am not a big alcohol drinker -- and I don't drink anything that's heavily carbonated really cause I just don't like it lol (don't drink any sodas or beers... will do wine once in a while)... are stouts lightly carbonated?  The bolded sounds pretty good since I used to get those types of drinks from Starbucks (minus the alcohol ofc).  Since I live in N VA... would I have to travel up there pick up a few of those?

• Weenie 1

15 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

People forget about the other HECS that season ...December 92' since east of i81 didnt get that much . I remember 4-8" range here before the wind driven rain . And ofcourse  Mar 1993 SS :weenie:

I was in NYC for that December '92 event.  Incredible storm in the city.  Winds gusting to near hurricane strength.  Waves at the Battery that came over the sea walls, and the FDR underwater.  Lost power where I was staying for most of a day.

• Weenie 1

I agree.

You are becoming a solid poster btw. You have done it right- read a lot, and post sparingly. Make your posts count. Good job.

@CAPE Thanks for the kind words. I know I'm not up to par with some of the expert posters here, but their collective knowledge has certainly helped with my understanding of meteorology these past few years. I checked back to when I first started posting in December 2017 and.. I honestly can't believe you guys managed to bare with me through all my weenieisms :p but I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Snow hardships certainly helped to quell my weenie ways that winter

• Like 1

Just now, Cobalt said:

@CAPE Thanks for the kind words. I know I'm not up to par with some of the expert posters here, but their collective knowledge has certainly helped with my understanding of meteorology these past few years. I checked back to when I first started posting in December 2017 and.. I honestly can't believe you guys managed to bare with me through all my weenieisms :p but I guess everyone has to start somewhere. Snow hardships certainly helped to quell my weenie ways that winter

Most of us were not as "smart" as we thought and too gung ho early on. I sucked lol.

Nice to see some of the younger posters coming along and adding value to the discussions.

3 hours ago, CAPE said:

Most of us were not as "smart" as we thought and too gung ho early on. I sucked lol.

Nice to see some of the younger posters coming along and adding value to the discussions.

Cobalt is, what, 16? I remember someone else who was young too. I think they lived in Delaware

I'm getting the urge to see more that what Tropical Tidbits has to offer so am considering dipping my toe into a pay sight.  My big interest right now is temperature forecasts.  I would love to be able to see the temperature spread across the various ensemble members.  Anyone have any recommendations for pay sites?  I mean Weatherbell is the big one I know.  Just interested in knowing if there are any other good options available for temperature stuff.

14 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I'm getting the urge to see more that what Tropical Tidbits has to offer so am considering dipping my toe into a pay sight.  My big interest right now is temperature forecasts.  I would love to be able to see the temperature spread across the various ensemble members.  Anyone have any recommendations for pay sites?  I mean Weatherbell is the big one I know.  Just interested in knowing if there are any other good options available for temperature stuff.

I've heard some good things about Pivotalweather's paid subscription, but I haven't looked into it all too much.

1 hour ago, JakkelWx said:

Cobalt is, what, 16? I remember someone else who was young too. I think they lived in Delaware

Turning 18 in June :lol: also yes, that was WeathermanB, but yeah I hope thoughts of him aren't brought to mind when I'm posting lol

• Haha 1

I was 16 when I first joined the forum. I have to admit, I learned quickly quantity is not nearly as good as quality. My posts are few and far between (26 total posts) between December 15th- January 15th. And used to post much more frequently with little value. Presently, having taken quite a few college-level meteorology courses have helped with most recently taking an upper-level mesoscale meteorology course which will hopefully allow me to contribute when we get to severe weather season as it seems that the most important aspects of severe weather do happen on the mesoscale with there obviously being synoptic components. Lastly, I have not yet taken Synoptic meteorology which is why I still am not great with posts in regards to winter weather threats but I hope to be able to take that course next year. I hope to be able to contribute more as I continue my education in meteorology. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cobalt said:

I've heard some good things about Pivotalweather's paid subscription, but I haven't looked into it all too much.

Turning 18 in June :lol: also yes, that was WeathermanB, but yeah I hope thoughts of him aren't brought to mind when I'm posting lol

And for comparison Ji has been on these boards since the early-mid 90s and in his late 40s/early 50s. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic