• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

Ok I gotta ask... Hope this isn't rude but there are several folks here who often contribute in very meaningful ways who aren't met tagged. Thinking folks like psu, ralph, cape, isotherm, randy, etc as well as those no longer around like Mitch and Bob. Are you folks all pure hobbyists who have just been at it a long time or do any of you have formal met education?

Been around this community a long time (since EUSWX days) and usually keep my uninformed trap shut, but aside from red tags I've learned an insane amount about weather from you guys. Anyways just wanted to say thanks and wanted to know where you all have picked up what you know whether formal education or otherwise. Cheers.

• Like 2

Just now, caviman2201 said:

Ok I gotta ask... Hope this isn't rude but there are several folks here who often contribute in very meaningful ways who aren't met tagged. Thinking folks like psu, ralph, cape, isotherm, randy, etc as well as those no longer around like Mitch and Bob. Are you folks all pure hobbyists who have just been at it a long time or do any of you have formal met education?

Been around this community a long time (since EUSWX days) and usually keep my uninformed trap shut, but aside from red tags I've learned an insane amount about weather from you guys. Anyways just wanted to say thanks and wanted to know where you all have picked up what you know whether formal education or otherwise. Cheers.

2 years met and atmospheric science psu. Eons ago now lol. Chose to stick with my main passion (cooking) and am now a successful Chef. And no I dont specialize in weenies :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In my opinion The WFT gave an impressive effort against a better team  and one of the best QBs if not the best of all time. 

The Bucs offense had been on fire over the past month scoring 40+ points a few times over the final month.

The redskins were out manned and over matched from a talent level standpoint and still had a chance to tie the game at the end.

Solid effort. Just lost to a better team

• Like 1

Trying to understand cyclogenesis better.  If anyone else on here like me who knows very little about it, I found a very nice youtube video discussing the topic. with really nice 3D diagrams that make terms like "cold conveyor belt" make more sense to the layman.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

I was a meteorology major at PSU for 3 years. But in the end I dropped the meteorology in favor of sociology and later decided to go into teaching and coaching in the inner city.  I did get a good foundation from my classes at PSU. I had a class with Jon Neese who was later on TWC. I think I used to annoy the crap out of him in the weather station. But honestly I learned 90% from experience and doing my own research and reading.  I’m the weirdo who reads a textbook just because I want to understand something.  

• Like 1

Its kind of surreal seeing a winter weather advisory in my part of the world. We usually dont see snow down here in Buda TX lol. Rain developing tonight ,  into tomorrow, it will be changing over to snow after 12 noon, possibly accumulating 1-2 inches which is WAYYYYYYYYY over normal climatology for south central Texas lol. Normal climo snow for south central Texas is three quarters of an inch of snow in a season lol. Just 20 miles or so north, about 6 inches in possible banding lol. Its surreal. I almost feel like I am back in northern Virginia lol. Models are trending colder lol. You know what they say, The trend is your friend......

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jebman said:

Its kind of surreal seeing a winter weather advisory in my part of the world. We usually dont see snow down here in Buda TX lol. Rain developing tonight ,  into tomorrow, it will be changing over to snow after 12 noon, possibly accumulating 1-2 inches which is WAYYYYYYYYY over normal climatology for south central Texas lol. Normal climo snow for south central Texas is three quarters of an inch of snow in a season lol. Just 20 miles or so north, about 6 inches in possible banding lol. Its surreal. I almost feel like I am back in northern Virginia lol. Models are trending colder lol. You know what they say, The trend is your friend......

I think you took the snow with you when you left, Jeb

8 hours ago, Chris78 said:

In my opinion The WFT gave an impressive effort against a better team  and one of the best QBs if not the best of all time. 

The Bucs offense had been on fire over the past month scoring 40+ points a few times over the final month.

The redskins were out manned and over matched from a talent level standpoint and still had a chance to tie the game at the end.

Heinicke was impressive...showed a lot of grit especially coming back out after being injured.  

8 hours ago, Chris78 said:

This. The fact that we lost to Brady by one possession is good. Hiencike did well, hope his shoulder is okay. I was more bummed for him than anything 

50 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The silence from @WxUSAF in the main thread is deafening.

Hi. Not much to analyze. Next weekend and beyond offer chances. But between work and current events, I’m already mentally drained. Not going to add the stress of living and dying with each model run.

• Like 7

On 1/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, MillvilleWx said:

Idk what kind of luck I'm having right now, but models trending more bullish here for snow. 5H track is close to perfect for Midland, but looks like best ascent is just off to  the north. I'm probably going to do an early morning snow chase on Sunday and will return in time for the Ravens game. I really hope you guys can score soon. I'm just happy we're getting precip here. 

Oh man, I just noticed that today, and you’re in a warning. That’s two solid storms almost back to back, hope you’re enjoying this!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, caviman2201 said:

I think you took the snow with you when you left, Jeb

Yeah, I think that is what happened. Its 34 degrees and falling down here, mod to heavy snow, all surfaces are white now, even the ground, the grass, and elevated places. Its half an inch and increasing! This is totally surreal! Not what I expect living down here at all. Looks like it got colder and changed over much earlier than even what the models were indicating lol. Now they upped us to 2 inches. That, is a massive snowstorm down here, kind of like a HECS in Dale City, given our seasonal snow climo is three quarters of an inch.

Better look out because the Mid Atlantic is next!

• Like 2

On 1/9/2021 at 9:51 AM, leesburg 04 said:

My prediction before he wakes up. "When the models show a great pattern they're always wrong but when they show a shitty pattern they're always right"

I predict this statement around 2pm.

Wrong quote wrong day but right time and right sentiment I want credit

13 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I think it's been a great game :whistle:

Ravens are lucky to have it tied at half IMO. Defense made a nice adjustment in the second quarter, but Ravens offense still out of sync and the allegedly horrible Titans rush defense has shut them down. Yes, Lamar’s scramble notwithstanding.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic