Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2021

Eskimo Joe

6 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Not sure why everyone is on Ji. He’s no different now than he’s ever been. His comments don’t change the weather. Some won’t admit that they are anxious and/or disappointed. It’s a natural reaction. We are easily gonna go at least three weeks from our last snow chance right at the height of winter with basically no chance at snow. If we saw good opportunities in the immediate horizon nobody would pay his comments any mind. He is pretty funny sometimes. You have to admit.

We can’t control whether or not it snows but we can control how we treat each other.

I am with you.  On a side note... something I've noticed in recent years (last 6 winters really) is that we go LOOOOONG stretches without any snow...even nickel and dime type stuff when the pattern isn't right.  Last year was just awful in EVERY way but those actually do happen once a decade or so where the pattern is just god awful in the PAC and Atlantic and its a no hope total dud winter everywhere.  But across the whole of the last 6 years we only get any snow at all during good patterns.  We have still had a decent number or snowstorms during that time...but what we are missing are the smaller nickel and dime storms that used to hold us over between warning level events.  Lately we need a really good pattern to score and the rest of the time we dont even get a lucky front end 1-3" or a 2" clipper or some fluke 1-2" on the backside of a cutter or some anafront wave.  All those insignificant events that used to at least make it feel like winter while we waited for the perfect pattern to deliver a warning level event.  

• Like 2

Riding the positive vibe train and the trend toward the second half of January despite a drought for meaningful snow on the upper Eastern Shore that has reached an astounding scale even by our failure standards.

Looking better that we might eventually break out! But............. I and a few other posters live where snow is usually an occasional novelty rather than long in duration and depth. Mud, on the other hand? I live in the heart of muck central. Pretty much who doesn't these days. Slant-sticked 3-4 inches in parts of mby this morning......

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

It's been nice not having any torches this winter . A lot of cloudy  days in the 30s and low 40s actually. Heck...i still have a couple small piles from the snowstorm from 20 days ago . It's been a solid start to winter here and many other locals n+w . Hopefully it continues starting Friday night :weenie:

Certainly hasn't been a torch even close in by any means.  We'll score this month along/east of 95 I think. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Why are we looking at day 6 and beyond when this weekend is still alive lol. .....at least the Srefs ARWs believe...  

sref-all-arw_c00-md-total_snow_10to1-0258400 (1).png

nam-nest-dc-total_snow_kuchera-0172000.thumb.png.cfd82812f49d2e01b2bab39040297498.png

I've seen worse trends at 60hrs out?? Congrats SW Virginia though, reminds me of a certain storm a few years back...

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I am with you.  On a side note... something I've noticed in recent years (last 6 winters really) is that we go LOOOOONG stretches without any snow...even nickel and dime type stuff when the pattern isn't right.  Last year was just awful in EVERY way but those actually do happen once a decade or so where the pattern is just god awful in the PAC and Atlantic and its a no hope total dud winter everywhere.  But across the whole of the last 6 years we only get any snow at all during good patterns.  We have still had a decent number or snowstorms during that time...but what we are missing are the smaller nickel and dime storms that used to hold us over between warning level events.  Lately we need a really good pattern to score and the rest of the time we dont even get a lucky front end 1-3" or a 2" clipper or some fluke 1-2" on the backside of a cutter or some anafront wave.  All those insignificant events that used to at least make it feel like winter while we waited for the perfect pattern to deliver a warning level event.  

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like we tend to have these stretches more frequently in Ninas? Even if the pattern is comparable, it just seems like with increasingly marginal temps, any sheared or weak wave of precip that we get just has no effect. Our Nino in 18-19 had a few nickel and dime events IMBY,  and from mid Jan through early March I recorded 6 events ranging from .4" to 2.1" (This is of course not including the 4 inches MBY got from the Feb 20th storm). That pattern was certainly not what we'd call perfect during that time, but there was still a respectable amount of snow events. Perhaps it's recency bias, but it certainly does seem like the gap between Nina and Nino winters is growing with our temp gradient increasing over the years.

58 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Mods, I see y'all had to put a special red bar at the top of the site, hahaha I'm sure folks have been actin' a fool today! Thank you!!

As far as I can tell everyone behaved here. Other sub forums not so much

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Youngest daughter starts In Person HS today . Both my daughters drive . She texted me as she was walking in . Happy for her and all the other kids and families who want kids back.Hopefully it's not 2 days and done like late October . I'm thinking they'll stay in for good this time .

Dropped my 2 off this morning as well.  Did your kids get their new  laptops?  I had to pick them up yesterday for my kids.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic