Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Discobs 2021

Eskimo Joe

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

It was gorgeous watching it in my rearview mirror as I was on 70 W heading to Deep Creek.

Just got here...31 degrees and still basically have full snow cover which was surprising given the lack of fresh snow here over the last 2 weeks basically.

I’ll be just south of you later today. Looking forward to spending a snowy weekend over there.

10 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’ll be just south of you later today. Looking forward to spending a snowy weekend over there.

Nice, at your future place in WV?  You picked a great weekend to come out here....snow showers everyday from upslope and the upper level system on Sunday/Monday.  6-8” through MLK day.

9 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Nice, at your future place in WV?  You picked a great weekend to come out here....snow showers everyday from upslope and the upper level system on Sunday/Monday.  6-8” through MLK day.

Yeah that future place that’s still working me to death LOL. But it will be fun working with a winter atmosphere outside.

4 minutes ago, high risk said:

12z guidance pretty much all took a pretty big step back in terms of coverage of convective rain/snow/graupel showers Saturday afternoon.     It's not obvious why,  but they all seemed to pick up on *something* that's hostile to the potential.

Now this only focuses on the long range HRRR but... last nights 0z run had surface winds backing to SE for tomorrow afternoon as a surface trough/low developed and move through the region (probably helped low-level convergence). The 12z does not do that and has surface winds keeping a westerly component for the afternoon (W to SW). 

1 minute ago, jonjon said:

I'm going to take the over on that.  Hope I'm not wrong.

My guess is you’ll easily have over a foot through MLK (with more following on Tuesday/Wednesday) since you do even better in upslope than here.  

We’re here through Wednesday night and I’m thinking I’ll see 8-10” through Wednesday but upside for higher totals.  

Maybe I’ll head down to the brewery one day!  :drunk:  Although I’m sure this weekend will be crowded there.  Wisp already sold out of lift tickets tomorrow/Sunday (for non season pass holders).

12 minutes ago, George BM said:

Now this only focuses on the long range HRRR but... last nights 0z run had surface winds backing to SE for tomorrow afternoon as a surface trough/low developed and move through the region (probably helped low-level convergence). The 12z does not do that and has surface winds keeping a westerly component for the afternoon (W to SW). 

That's a good catch.     It's not as blatant on the NAM3 and the Hi-Res Windows, but even the older cycles of those models clearly show a bit of a southerly component to the winds tomorrow that is absent in the 12z cycle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, high risk said:

That's a good catch.     It's not as blatant on the NAM3 and the Hi-Res Windows, but even the older cycles of those models clearly show a bit of a southerly component to the winds tomorrow that is absent in the 12z cycle.

Hopefully, the 18z will bring it back!

17 minutes ago, nj2va said:

My guess is you’ll easily have over a foot through MLK (with more following on Tuesday/Wednesday) since you do even better in upslope than here.  

We’re here through Wednesday night and I’m thinking I’ll see 8-10” through Wednesday but upside for higher totals.  

Maybe I’ll head down to the brewery one day!  :drunk:  Although I’m sure this weekend will be crowded there.  Wisp already sold out of lift tickets tomorrow/Sunday (for non season pass holders).

I hope you're right!

PM me if you head this way.  Probably a wait to get in over the weekend, but Sunday Monday may be easier.  I'm usually off the grid during weekends, I'm trying to get my next business started up here (artisanal bakery).  I plan on being an all-round yeast master.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snowchaser said:

BD7AF26B-ED92-43C7-9CE0-ABB1C8F709A7.jpeg.ed38796a324f70df15b9aeef4fd1dfa4.jpeg

Snowfall forecast Today - Tuesday TOTAL snowfall.

Flurries are possible in DC Saturday.  :snowing:

Can you show me on that map where Romney WV is?  I’ve been offered a cabin out there on a ridge of like 1000 feet. I think it’s 10-15 miles sw of town. Do any of you all know much about that spot? I know a lot of you have mountain places. Is Romney a nice town? Jon Jon, is that anywhere near you?

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Can you show me on that map where Romney WV is?  I’ve been offered a cabin out there on a ridge of like 1000 feet. I think it’s 10-15 miles sw of town. Do any of you all know much about that spot? I know a lot of you have mountain places. Is Romney a nice town? Jon Jon, is that anywhere near you?

Thanks 

Romney is def not my fav spot in West Virginia. I'm sure there are nice cabins, but it is in the rainshadow area.  They may average 25-28 inches of snow per year if they are lucky. 20-30 miles to the west lies dolly sods and the Allegheny Front and 150 inches of yearly snowfall.

2 minutes ago, Snowchaser said:

I’ve never been to Romney but I’ve heard some nice things about that town.

I would say 3-8” total event would be a safe bet. Elevation depending. 3” inches for lower elevations up 8” for the mountains.

Id be shocked if Romney got an inch.  Northwest flow snows may provide a snow shower occasionally but in Romney, a NW wind is downsloping which dries up all of the moisture deposited on the Allegheny Front.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Thanks 

Only been to Romney a couple of times for my sons' basketball games.  Seems like a nice little town from what I could tell.  Definitely not going to get much snow there, though.  As mentioned they are in the shadow of the Alleghenies. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic