Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant upper middle Atlantic S/CNE mix/snow potential Jan 3+

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This is not really even going to Gulf of Maine now . It’s trending so far ESE that When it’s captured and burps north a little bit it winds up South of Halifax N.S by about 100 miles and isn’t backing it up . 

Gee, just 24 hrs ago Mainers were looking at this:

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This is not really even going to Gulf of Maine now . It’s trending so far ESE that When it’s captured and burps north a little bit it winds up South of Halifax N.S by about 100 miles and isn’t backing it up . 

This is whiffing Eastport Maine 

Low goes east over 39/70.

31 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This is actually a fantastic observation, likely unsung.   It pertains to the NAO handling.  What you are observing there is an NAO  ....  NOT blocking.   heh -

Bad deteministic handling of NAO comes in three delicious migraines:   Where; amplitude; when.   

None of these were handled well enough in this situation leading. 

But, forgetting the frustration in not getting this event and keeping it purely Vulcan ( haha ), there were two factors that doomed this:

-- the NAO handling above

-- the system itself being too weak to mechanize it's own stall

And what's interesting is that these two can feed off one another and ( sort of ) 'synergize' a more favorable result.  But being a weak system, and then NAO delaying another 24 to 42 hours to blossom blocking - if one goes back three or four days, you might see that it was slightly faster and more aggressive in the guidance. 

Have you ever heard the expression, 'the hurricane creates its own environment'?   Something similar..  If the system were stronger as it was arriving, it would roll out it's own S/W ridging.  That would then move up and super-impose over the emerging -NAO; we call that a 'constructive wave interference,' and in the advent of that, the two then synergize a stall sooner .. it all feeds back this thing would have gone boom, stalled... I think some of the models had this thing over assessed, and that was causing some of that to paint erroneously on the charts when this was mid range...  I've actually noticed that mid and extended range events are being routinely over amped in all the models.. interesting.

I actually think - personally - another problem in model handling is that the flow has gone too far in the relaxed direction.  We replaced too much velocity and progressive shearing tendencies, with a nebular chaos where entropy is large - well..."entropy" means disarray and when we see the flow features propagating along with only two or maybe three dz height lines and are curling around everywhere like a spaghetti on plate.ugh.   Thing is, luck is involved.  I mean, either a nebular or progressive regime can have entertaining events in the runs breaking good or bad.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This is actually a fantastic observation, likely unsung.   It pertains to the NAO handling.  What you are observing there is an NAO  ....  NOT blocking.   heh -

Bad deteministic handling of NAO comes in three delicious migraines:   Where; amplitude; when.   

None of these were handled well enough in this situation leading. 

But, forgetting the frustration in not getting this event and keeping it purely Vulcan ( haha ), there were two factors that doomed this:

-- the NAO handling above

-- the system itself being too weak to mechanize it's own stall

And what's interesting is that these two can feed off one another and ( sort of ) 'synergize' a more favorable result.  But being a weak system, and then NAO delaying another 24 to 42 hours to blossom blocking - if one goes back three or four days, you might see that it was slightly faster and more aggressive in the guidance. 

I actually think - personally - the problem in model handling is that the flow has gone too far in the relaxed direction.  We replaced too much velocity and progressive shearing tendencies, with a nebular chaos where entropy is large - well..."entropy" means disarray and when we see the flow only has two or may three dz height lines and is curling around everywhere like a spaghetti on plate.   Thing is, luck is involved.  I mean, either a nebular or progressive regime can have entertaining events in the runs breaking good or bad.

There isn’t a real -NAO yet though. Look at the height fields. 

17 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

There isn’t a real -NAO yet though. Look at the height fields. 

I know ... like that said ...it's delayed - just the crucial amount. 

I'd also suggest that if this wave coming through rolled out better lead S/W ridging, it would have enticed western aspect of the NAO to emerge faster - positive feedback.  I think that's what the previous guidance was doing, having subtly over assessed this they may helped that along.   Chicken and egg sorta relationship perhaps...

58 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

This is whiffing Eastport Maine 

I posted that early this AM after the EURO....you think we are getting boned, look at DE Maine. At least there are no wav3 spacing issues for the weekend whiff lol