• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Significant upper middle Atlantic S/CNE mix/snow potential Jan 3+

Typhoon Tip

The approach of a mid/upper level shortwave currently analyzed over the mid-MS River Valley and low pressure forecast to develop over eastern NC due to a residual baroclinic zone will bring another round of wintry precipitation to portions of the Northeast and New England late on day 1 (Sunday) through day 3 (Tuesday). A lack of deep phasing and separation between the mid-level wave and low will keep precipitation relatively light over portions of PA/interior NY where a few inches of snow are forecast. But as the low approaches the Gulf of Maine, it will slow or even retrograde back to the west/southwest as its caught up in the deepening/closing off mid-level energy. This could support a prolonged period of snow across coastal NH to much of Maine in th day 2/3 time-frame, though there remains considerable uncertainty in the evolution and QPF. Deterministic runs of the latest guidance did trend upward, particularly for Maine where there is a signal for winter storm criteria to be met or exceeded. However, given the uncertainty and model spread still, the blend favored the ECENS/ECMWF runs. This system bears watching.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

i did not look at it yesterday.. why would i look at the NAM when it's 48hr+?

Why look at it now and worry about what that thing shows..when the Euro showed something completely opposite?  

It’s erratic..period. Sure it can sometimes sniff a trend, but when it’s all over the place run to run, toss it. 

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Ahhh don’t give it too much weight.  At 0z it’ll show you getting 12+.  

yeah, I know everyone treats it different, and probably in this scenario the NAM is not great.. but I watch for model trends within a model, just as much as vs. another model.. the NAM has been trending to POS last few runs.. all I'm saying.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

20210102_154810.jpg

Heh...  I dunno - I never like it when products cookie-cutter around the land masses like that.

We'll see but that appeals as though the model physics are over sensitive to the BL variance between the ocean and land ...and is augmenting at the interface.  Not the same thing even as a CF ...  "Maybe" more like fluidity deformation because air over land moves slower than the over water, so the BL ends up slightly taller and acts like a oreographic lift/axis... 

speculation, but I see that kind of thing from sensitive hyper discrete models too often. I suppose it could happen -

5 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

yeah, I know everyone treats it different, and probably in this scenario the NAM is not great.. but I watch for model trends within a model, just as much as vs. another model.. the NAM has been trending to POS last few runs.. all I'm saying.

I get it.

Fair enough. :-)

18 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Scott , where are you at with this thing . 

I think a narrow area of several inches could work out. But honestly I’m quite baffled with how bad modeling is. Maybe two areas. One near TOL and points SW to NE from there in the high terrain. Perhaps another area just away from the coast like HRRR and Euro show? That would be depending on how that low develops and brings in the precip. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think a narrow area of several inches could work out. But honestly I’m quite baffled with how bad modeling is. Maybe two areas. One near TOL and points SW to NE from there in the high terrain. Perhaps another area just away from the coast like HRRR and Euro show? That would be depending on how that low develops and brings in the precip. 

No kidding. The modeling has been bad, even erratic, and what was trending a massive blockbuster caved to a small or even nonexistent event within the span of 24 hours and it did it inside of 72 hours. Maybe that still happens nowadays but I don’t remember the last time I saw these things happen with modeling... at least not in the last 5-10 years